Creating the Toad King!

• Please log in to reply
246 replies to this topic

#41 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:08 AM

Hmmm... it's hard to get some of those miniatures that Jon pointed out... out of my head.  I personally like this notion of him (to the right), so maybe that's influencing my opinion.

I think I see him as taking himself very seriously, though others might snicker behind his back... until he nails one of them.  Definitely not too diminuative, so maybe the height of the Dwarf or Pixie. And especially if his final version includes no way to whack him.  Unless you want to go for something more literal, like this... http://a0.vox.com/6a...d6b07fe80005-pi

Also, have you thought of a motif for his persona card?  The Reaper has his own unique card in that, so I suppose the King might too.  I've had notions of trying to create a persona/NPC style card, since there are others working some different angles on such creations.  Something like has been done for characters, the alt endings, etc., with a common format to identify what they are.  But maybe the King needs something unique just for him.

#42 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:26 AM

Given that other Toad minis were produced for 2nd Edition, and how I like the idea of other Toads being made, what about just a likeness of the Toad miniatures already available in the game, but with ermine robes and a crown etc?

It would quite quite cool to have a themed set of Toad minis, with the Toad King being the focus of the set if you will.

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#43 Mr. Brogger

Mr. Brogger

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:55 AM

Thank you for the inputs. I have also thougt of a uniqe persona card for Toad King in the same format as Grim Reapers. I think I go for something between the literal Toad and the mini Jon posted - also I do like Jons idea for a theme, so I will try make him identic to the other toads in game, but with some more inteligence/human like look I try to figure out something and proabaly post some skethes to get some input for his final look.

cheer

#44 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 05:03 AM

Mr. B., I don't know if you want to create your own image or use one already made, but I stumbled across another notion... though it might be questionable to use.  Look... HERE.  This is a stamp for making one's own images.  I could be stamped on a blank white card, scanned, and then hand colored or even photoshop tinted and shaded.  I'm still rather uncertain about such being packaged for redistribution, but the image is nicely whimsical, like the King, and fits the size of figure that could be stepped on.

ADDENDUM:  Oops!  You got your next post in while I was typing, so nevermind.

#45 Mr. Brogger

Mr. Brogger

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 05:12 AM

Hi JC, nice toad picture. Something like that I also had  in mind. I try to do the art on my own to get something completely unique. But everything is usefull, so thank you

#46 Mr. Brogger

Mr. Brogger

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:44 PM

Hi all, I have been working on Toad King and have come so far:

TOAD KING STORY
Toad King popped out of his eg the day Cursed Glade became cursed. He is the oldest toad in the world and posesses powers unimaginable for what a little toad could posses. He is intelligent and able to communicate with all beings without saying words – he mostly do that when he commands something. Legends are told of the Toad King, but very few actually have seen him or know of his real existence – ”is he true or just a story ?” ... He is adicted to magic and seeks out to absorb it. He is not wandering too far from his birth place as he is a toad – he goes far but not too far. With his power to absorb magic, he has grown stronger in time and is now also able to use his most fered skill of all, that is making someone to a slimy toad, to join his family.

( Sorry for my spelling. I am working on an alternative storry and if anyone have a story, then fell free to suggest it )

Toad King rules:

• Start location: Cursed Clade. Toad King only moves in the middle region.
  • Toad King is drawn by magic. Every time a magic object is drawn or a spell is cast, move Toad King one space toward that character. (only in middle region)

Hope you like it and fell free to comment on it.

cheer

#47 Erestor

Erestor

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:39 PM

In my humble opinion it's a bit too '3D'. Talisman has a rather picture-like art style and this clearly computer graphics doesn't match the feel.

As for the content and the idea itself I think it's great and I'll definitely use it when it's finished ;)

P.S. Try to make the grren colour look 'dirtier' ;)

#48 Mr. Brogger

Mr. Brogger

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:35 PM

Erestor said:

In my humble opinion it's a bit too '3D'. Talisman has a rather picture-like art style and this clearly computer graphics doesn't match the feel.

As for the content and the idea itself I think it's great and I'll definitely use it when it's finished ;)

P.S. Try to make the grren colour look 'dirtier' ;)

If people generaly want are more handpainted look on Toad King, I could manipulate it to look more handpainted.

Here is a little fast manipulation, but it could be worked on some more.

#49 Mr. Brogger

Mr. Brogger

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:37 AM

Mr. Brogger said:

Hi all, I have been working on Toad King and have come so far:

TOAD KING STORY
Toad King popped out of his eg the day Cursed Glade became cursed. He is the oldest toad in the world and posesses powers unimaginable for what a little toad could posses. He is intelligent and able to communicate with all beings without saying words – he mostly do that when he commands something. Legends are told of the Toad King, but very few actually have seen him or know of his real existence – ”is he true or just a story ?” ... He is adicted to magic and seeks out to absorb it. He is not wandering too far from his birth place as he is a toad – he goes far but not too far. With his power to absorb magic, he has grown stronger in time and is now also able to use his most fered skill of all, that is making someone to a slimy toad, to join his family.

( Sorry for my spelling. I am working on an alternative storry and if anyone have a story, then fell free to suggest it )

Toad King rules:

• Start location: Cursed Clade. Toad King only moves in the middle region.
  • Toad King is drawn by magic. Every time a magic object is drawn or a spell is cast, move Toad King one space toward that character. (only in middle region)

Hope you like it and fell free to comment on it.

cheer

This is long from the finish, so just keep adding ideas/changes and ask quistions etc.

cheer

#50 Mr. Brogger

Mr. Brogger

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:10 AM

Just another art of the Toad King.

#51 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:15 PM

Here's a little notion to share for your consideration.  It was slapped together rather quickly and still needs refinement... quite a bit, actually.  If you like it in general, you can have for a Toad King card template, and I will rework it to your specifications.  If not, no problem, I won't be offended.  The final production could be setup with a background and then transparent foreground to slip you artwork inbetween.  The image here is about 50% of original print resolution (300dpi).

I would also like to suggest the following changes and re-ordering to text:

If the Toad King lands on a character currently turned into a toad, that character is blessed and replentishes all Fate points. If he lands on any other character, that character must roll one die:

1. "You make me angry!" he croaks, and then turns you into a toad for 3 turns.
  2. "Give me that magic thing!" he demands. Immediately discard one Magic Object or become a toad for 3 turns.
  3. "Ah, I thank you for replentishing my power!" he declares, and you immediately lose (discard) all of your Spells.
  4. "So, you wish to hear the ballad of my exploits?" he asks, but it is not a question.  Miss 1 turn to listen.
  5. "Oh flies and crickets, where am I?" he mutters.  Move him 1 space in any direction of your choice.
  6. SQUISH! You step on the Toad King. Remove him from the game.

#52 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:34 PM

Is it still possible to make any changes..?

Or is this the final decision..?

I do not like nr 5 and 6...

But the idea from nr 2 and 3 is good..

The toad blessed part is a nice idea

Number 4 should be changed back to a Frog Song (title)..( i like that better)

#53 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:38 PM

A ballad is a story sung as a song... though it's just a suggestion, that's all.

I had thought of suggesting that on #4 it might be "Miss 1 turn to listen or become a toad for 2 turns." But who in their right mind would ever not miss that 1 turn?  Maybe some other minor loss might be an option.... "Miss 1 turn to listen, or pay him a tribute of 1G."  Again, just a notion.

#54 Mr. Brogger

Mr. Brogger

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:00 PM

JCHendee said:

Here's a little notion to share for your consideration.  It was slapped together rather quickly and still needs refinement... quite a bit, actually.  If you like it in general, you can have for a Toad King card template, and I will rework it to your specifications.  If not, no problem, I won't be offended.  The final production could be setup with a background and then transparent foreground to slip you artwork inbetween.  The image here is about 50% of original print resolution (300dpi).

I would also like to suggest the following changes and re-ordering to text:

If the Toad King lands on a character currently turned into a toad, that character is blessed and replentishes all Fate points. If he lands on any other character, that character must roll one die:

1. "You make me angry!" he croaks, and then turns you into a toad for 3 turns.
  2. "Give me that magic thing!" he demands. Immediately discard one Magic Object or become a toad for 3 turns.
  3. "Ah, I thank you for replentishing my power!" he declares, and you immediately lose (discard) all of your Spells.
  4. "So, you wish to hear the ballad of my exploits?" he asks, but it is not a question.  Miss 1 turn to listen.
  5. "Oh flies and crickets, where am I?" he mutters.  Move him 1 space in any direction of your choice.
  6. SQUISH! You step on the Toad King. Remove him from the game.

Indeed very nice and munch munch better than the one I have worked on, especially the frame - realy beuitiful and fits perfect for the Toad King

I like your change in the wording too. It brings more life or how should I say it - I like it!

I would realy like the graphic in 300dpi. I think I can fit the content in as it is. Do you also have the green background, so I could use this to work out the back of the card ?

I am working on a new art for Toad King that fits the Talisman univers a bit more and is closer to the other toads, to do the theme thing.

Realy good JC and I hope you also will put your mind to Toad Kings story, or would change my bad wording

Once again

cheer

#55 Mr. Brogger

Mr. Brogger

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:12 PM

Velhart said:

Is it still possible to make any changes..?

Or is this the final decision..?

I do not like nr 5 and 6...

But the idea from nr 2 and 3 is good..

The toad blessed part is a nice idea

Number 4 should be changed back to a Frog Song (title)..( i like that better)

Things are still in progress and can change

The frog song should be toad song if changed. Here is something for consideration.

FROGS vs. TOADS

Many people don’t know the difference between frogs and toads. They are quite different animals, although they belong to the same animal group.

Frogs:

• Need to live near water
  • Have smooth, moist skin that makes them look “slimy”.
  • Have a narrow body
  • Have higher, rounder, bulgier eyes
  • Have longer hind legs
  • Take long high jumps
  • Have many predators

Toads:

• Do not need to live near water to survive
  • Have rough, dry, bumpy skin
  • Have a wider body
  • Have lower, football shaped eyes
  • Have shorter, less powerful hind legs
  • Will run or take small hops rather than jump
  • Do not have many predators. Toad’s skin lets out a bitter taste and smell that burns the eyes and nostrils of its predators, much like a skunk does.

And, neither frogs nor toads, will give you warts! That is just a myth.

Toads, too, sing love songs after they leave their winter burrows and
congregate in ponds to breed. The common American Toads, in late
April or May, form choruses of long-sustained high-pitched trills. Later,
the doleful nasal screech of Fowler's Toad can be heard. Most musical
of all is the little Tree Frog or Tree Toad, gray or green with orange
thighs. Their melodious trills, from the tree tops, are often mistaken for
the songs of birds.

cheers

#56 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:19 PM

I know that a Toad and a Frog are not the same.. but the Frog Song is a famous ability among the frogs from the FF games from Square

Maybe you are right, it should be called Toad Song then..

#57 Mr. Brogger

Mr. Brogger

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:06 AM

Velhart said:

I know that a Toad and a Frog are not the same.. but the Frog Song is a famous ability among the frogs from the FF games from Square

Okey, I did not know that with the frogs from FFG. I cannot decide. I realy like JC's idea:

• "So, you wish to hear the ballad of my exploits?" he asks, but it is not a question. Miss 1 turn to listen.

It is like the Grim Reaper, he tells something in every reaction instead of a description on the action.

Nothing is decided yet. I wish to hear more peoples arguments.

cheer

#58 Mr. Brogger

Mr. Brogger

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:09 AM

As I have mentioned, I am working on a new art for Toad King so here is a sketch.

Maybe he should sit on a big mousroom, I dont know.

#59 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:29 AM

Mr. Brogger said:

Velhart said:

Okey, I did not know that with the frogs from FFG. I cannot decide. I realy like JC's idea:

Wait.. ( FF is not FFG lol

FF=Final Fantasy..

But you have a point about the Frog Song ( it;'s a Toad in Talisman, so it should be Toad song.. ( does not sound actually better than Frog Song)

But Toad Song makes more sense.. ( because it's a Toad..)

#60 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:42 AM

So he speaks, but he's going to sing a way the character won't understand?  Okay, I guess.

Mr.  B... the sketch looks good!

I would realy like the graphic in 300dpi. I think I can fit the content in as it is. Do you also have the green background, so I could use this to work out the back of the card ? I am working on a new art for Toad King that fits the Talisman univers a bit more and is closer to the other toads, to do the theme thing.

I may have something similar for the back with a basic ring frame you can you use to put artwork in. I'll try to get something set up in the next few days. As to either front or back, I will do some more tweaking and then get you something you can use at full resolution. Do you use Photoshop for your graphics work or not? Either way is okay, I just need to know so I can setup files for you that will work best for your graphics program.

I hope you also will put your mind to Toad Kings story, or would change my bad wording

I can help out with the wording but I don't have time to write something up myself (I'm busying outlining and note-taking on two novels simultaneously... so my creativity for words is all tied-up.)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS