UFS vs Other card games

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 Nekuro

Nekuro

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:59 PM

I also went to UFS after playing quite a few different card games, and what attracted me to the game was all the characters available (for a fighting game fan, that rocks) and the general laid-back atmosphere surrounding the game. In this, it actually reminded me of the WoW card game, where you don't have that much broom-up-the-*rse people who're ready to shoot "JUUUUUUUUUDGE!!!" every turn and who consider you like sh*t because you don't have that *** (insert number with lots of zeros)$ card or just because you play the game to have fun. With UFS, I just manage to have fun at nearly every single match (I rarely don't have fun playing this) and the atmosphere surrounding the game is full of fun and communication between players, which quite a few other games are lacking (That's what got me off Magic - playing just wasn't fun any more). My three top CCG games are actually 1.UFS ; 2.World of Warcraft TCG ; 3. Magic. I can't input the other card games because I rarely play them (although I'm not against a game of VtES)

#42 vermillian

vermillian

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:44 AM

In general I do not like TCG environments that are totally unreceptive to OTHER card games, and who can't take any criticism about their game...

WoW TCG for instance seemed to think that sicne their game was similar to MtG, and had the heroes, 'better' resource system and had more unique things like Raid packs and now Arena / vs. packs that they are superior and got quite elitist about it when you try to talk about other games.... this is AFTER playing a few casual games with these people.

In general I'm kinda tired of the entire ONE TCG mentality that most TCGs exhibit. That is why I'm excited about the decrease of set releases in UFS as it will make it easier to try out some other games (perhaps some of FFG's LCGs, like the uupcoming Warhammer Invasion LCG! :) )

#43 Charitsune

Charitsune

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:30 PM

vermillian said:

In general I do not like TCG environments that are totally unreceptive to OTHER card games, and who can't take any criticism about their game...

WoW TCG for instance seemed to think that sicne their game was similar to MtG, and had the heroes, 'better' resource system and had more unique things like Raid packs and now Arena / vs. packs that they are superior and got quite elitist about it when you try to talk about other games.... this is AFTER playing a few casual games with these people.

In general I'm kinda tired of the entire ONE TCG mentality that most TCGs exhibit. That is why I'm excited about the decrease of set releases in UFS as it will make it easier to try out some other games (perhaps some of FFG's LCGs, like the uupcoming Warhammer Invasion LCG! :) )

I once said this long ago about how it's all about preference and what you said kind of reminded me of my earlier statement. Playing various TCGs and CCGs is quite fun since it's hard to get tired of card games if you're playing as Astrid one day in UFS, using a warrior-deck in YGO the next, using a Angel Deck in MtG after that, followed by using a M'arrillian Deck on Chaotic then back to UFS. Do that in a week and it's rather hard to tire of CCGs. But through playing these games I learned about what I like and dislike about each game.

Speaking of that ONE TCG mentality I know what you mean because I went to my first UFS tourney at the local hobby one sunday and when I went again to play YGO another sunday I got looked at like I joined the CULT! The my friends chuckled because I always fumble with different games, the others looked at me like I was gonna burn down below. If all you play is one game then you'll get tired of it and all other TCGs before you play it. Just don't play too many like I do and end up broke just getting started! lol

#44 Ninjazanus

Ninjazanus

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:47 AM

I've played a ton of card games. Pokemon, young jedi, yugioh, magic, Fullmetal Alchimst and UFS. I think UFS is my second favorite right behind FMA, but FMA is discontinued, so UFS is the obvious choice to stay current with.

The concept of UFS is really what brings me in. when I started playing, I thought to myself "Astaroth is my favorite fighting game character, I'm going to build a deck with him". So I did, and it wasnt half bad and to this day, I refuse to play a character I wouldnt like to play in a videogame.

#45 Tygretoe

Tygretoe

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:33 PM

Well first and for most i have played more CCG then i would like to ever tell but most CCG that run off a theme tend to fail when the theme is over i have notice like YuGiOh when the Anime or Manga die the game will die but one thing i can say about Magic or L5R is since they are not based off a theme that they can expand there idea to the sky limits i like theme base CCG but knock other CCG like Magic because you had a bad experience or don’t like the mechanic of the game is really no reason to dislike a game if you where getting mana screwed it is because you did not have enough mana or you did not mana shuffle I mean I can go on all day with how to fix a magic deck or how I enjoy magic but there is no reason here because I am here to learn about UFS not put it down or put down any other CCG that I have played just remember if is was not for Magic we would not have UFS right now

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS