UFS vs Other card games

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Viewtiful_Joe

Viewtiful_Joe

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:03 AM

@ ZeroHart: I'd say that coming from your list, you could make a pretty effective deck actually. I'd say that due to the taste in playstyle you previously stated that Haohmaru was your best bet to start off with. I say this because he has a starter deck from Cutting Edge (he has another one, but it is no longer legal, so be careful if you're going to buy him) which is pretty effective as while he doesn't recur cards from his discard pile, he can do it after he blocks with cards like A Samurai's Life. Personal Style is one of his deck rares and is a very easy, yet effective damage pump card. I'm also glad that you've put Ken down as well, as he also has a Starter Deck from Domination (the same rules apply here as to Haohmaru, Ken has a cycled out Starter Deck too, so try and make sure you get the Domination one) which shares a good few similarities to Haohmaru in the sense that Kens cards allow you to draw a hell of a lot. One of his two deck rares; Kuzuryu Reppa, is very often played by high calibre players, and is a very effective card to use with a character like Ken or Haohmaru. Ken also has a promo version that has been recently released, which gives you something to strive for later on :).

I'd say that your best bet was to get yourself one or two of each of those two started decks (you only get two of the deck rares in each deck) as a front for your collection, then start by buying boosters in small amounts to add extras into the deck as you see fit. Domination is a pretty good start as you'll get Ken's support from it which can prove to be effective (Like Son Of A Tycoon and Kama Harai Keri). After that, you'll probably find you'll know the game well enough through the use of both the instruction manuals and playing to be able to discern what's good and what's not, so enjoy :D

@Tygretoe: Morrigan is a very interesting character with extremely big potential. In fact, I'm actually playing her myself at the moment and really enjoying it (gorgeous artwork helps, a lot!), however, she isn't what I would call a good character to start with as she relies heavily on what her opponent is doing, which means you have to pay attention at all times to what you can and can't copy. For example, if an ability you're wanting to copy causes the card to commit, Morrigan will have to commit herself to use it, which means that you have to pick and choose what you want to copy if you have to pay for it. What is it about Morrigan you like? If it's Morrigan herself you like, then perhaps her Promo or Promo Lilith might be better for you until you get a firm grip on the game altogether. If you're definately intent on building THAT Morrigan, then I would say that your best bet was to make the deck as versatile as possible. Darkstalkers in general isn't all too kind to new players, unfortunately, although some of Morrigans support is definately worth playing. I'm sure you've heard the name Olcadan's Mentoring flying about on these forums. Well Without A Care is a good substitute for that until you can get some of these 'less than easy' cards to get. Shadow Blade is an EXTREMELY powerful attack with Morrigan, as it allows you to destroy what you can't use youself. One of the best things about Morrigan is that you can build her in almost any way, and the recent Set 11 is definately a good place to start to show this. Sogetsu's support from Flames Of Fame allows you to integrate draw and discard into the deck, while Kim's support can help you play a more aggressive build off Good. Bison's support in Warriors' Dream like Past Shrouded In Mystery and Charismatic allow you to do what I stated with Shadow Blade; destroy what you can't use yourself.

I hope I've begun to help, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask ;)

#22 Otazo

Otazo

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:31 PM

Well, to make it a little back to the topic cough cough...

I have for a long time been free of CCG until UFS came around. It is not that it's better than MtG, it's simply that the theme or whatever you wanna call it, it more interesting for me. It is true that some of the guilt of the complexity of UFS relies on the design of the cards (in this aspect, I find Magic more accurate and practical) as many many many new players look at the speed when they're looking for the block modifier etc.

Anyway, the main strenght of UFS are it's licenses. If Udon doesn't mean anything for you, go play Magic. But if you know them to be the best artist group ever drawing street fighter and you know many cards have their artwork, you'll simply go mad with this game.

About the game system, I have to say the game has lost it's north a little (it's an spanish expression, dunno if it's correct in english though XD). The game is now ruled by foundation wars, and expenssive card DO give advantage. Tsunami Sabre costs only 0,25, but BRT can get you owned if it comes up in your opponents first hand and it's not cheap. So yes, money does give victories, but this happens in every CCG in some level. Magic may be a more balanced game since the really broken cards cost way too much for most of the people, but the strategy is really inportant in that game.

Talking about luck, I agree with most of you that there really isn't much of that in UFS. Know your deck and you'll know your checks. A guy told me that he didn't like UFS cause you could fail an attack due to a poor CC. That not a problem of the game, but a problem of deck building. So UFS also has the stategy point of knowing how to choose good check so your deck wins, and then know how to play your cards in a match.

For me UFS is more attractive than other games, but more for the characters and the universe than for the fact than I find the game system better. Magic has a good game system aswell, but ninja rats and flying horses mean nothing interesting for me.

#23 Scubadude

Scubadude

• Members
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:15 PM

I quit Magic for this game since I hated getting mana screwed .  I do sometimes roll a 2 or a 1 at a bad time but what I love about UFS is you can recover from things like that for when it happens . 

#24 bigmattxxx

bigmattxxx

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:57 AM

oofs=best game

besides yu yu hakusho

#25 Ziephnir

Ziephnir

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:35 AM

koreymfh said:

It's really hard to say, I played both magic and Yugi-oh and I like UFS a lot more.  The game is more balanced when I played yugi-oh the only way to win was to buy all the best cards and that made tournaments with competitive players like playing a mirror match that came down to who had a better draw.  In UFS you don't have to have all the good cards to build a really good deck, which helps keep casual players.

this is generally untrue in tournament play. the game as it is now, if you play in block 3, is restricted to certain symbols only because they have the money cards that are generally just a PITA. then there are money cards that everyone has to play negation for or their screwed, *coughOlcadan'smentoringcough*. point is in competitive play there are the few viable kill conditions and the decks built around them, generally being the highcost power cards or the cards you cant find.

note that this is ranting about the state of the game more than anything. the cost of said cards isnt that much, the trouble is finding them

#26 vermillian

vermillian

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:23 AM

bikinilord said:

uh, i dont like luck

Go play chess?

The game has luck in these aspects:

1.) Drawing your cards each time you are prompted to draw. This is mitigated due to the concept of how many cards one draws typically, in the course of a turn (fill up to your hand size during your turn) and game. And the games mulligan rule. And by what cards you put in your deck and how many. This is about the same IF NOT LESS luck based compared to other TCGs (due to more than just one card drawn).

ALSO many cards in UFS (most actually) play more than one role. For instance, many cards have a block on them, allowing one to stop attacks, IN ADDITION to being an attack itself or the game's resource type, foundations. Many cards without blocks even have multiple effects for them to operate as offense or defense... and so on.

2.) Control checks. This represents your ability to pull off the 'half circle forward punch' style from fighting games. Every card has a difficulty. This difficulty is overcome by discarding a card fromt eh top of yoru deck and comparing its 'control' ( a number on the card ) to your card's difficulty. If its equal or greater you've played it. If not your turn is over. HOWEVER this luck aspect is mitigated by your FOUNDATIONS which are cards you have played in prior turns. You can use these once per turn to make up the difference that you failed your control check (to play a card) by.

So in both of the games luck based aspects, the game pushes very strongly to have them be a part of a skill based system and when you should push your luck and not and all that.

So yes. Luck. But much less than many in many ways. Otherwise... go play checkers.

#27 Charitsune

Charitsune

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 04:41 PM

Every TCG has it's different flavor and taste. I play YGO and love it. But I hate how bad the metagame is and the heavy amount of cheaters that the Duelists have to face. I experimented with magic but I think it's about the same as YGO. Chaotic is pretty awesome and the gameplay is awesome but be warned! You have to have awesome cards to win yet it doesn't have metagamers that bad. I've yet to really play UFS in a tourney yet considering I've started only a few weaks ago and just bought my deck today. But the gameplay I've seen is very analytical and like someone said earlier risk management. I don't see a huge rush for rare POWER cards that cost as much as yugioh's crush card virus (cough 300 dollars cough). I give it a 4/5. I only went down one point because of the steep learning curve but after a few matches you'll have it down.

#28 Draco Mageat

Draco Mageat

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:18 AM

koreymfh said:

It's really hard to say, I played both magic and Yugi-oh and I like UFS a lot more.  The game is more balanced when I played yugi-oh the only way to win was to buy all the best cards and that made tournaments with competitive players like playing a mirror match that came down to who had a better draw.  In UFS you don't have to have all the good cards to build a really good deck, which helps keep casual players.

it's possible to build a yugioh deck that realy messes with people who have better cards but in general, the game kinda sucks.

UFS is better than yugioh but how it ranks compared to magic depends upon who you are.

#29 MardukZero

MardukZero

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:31 PM

I would say UFS and MtG (and similar CCG's, i.e., most popular ones on the market) are like apples and oranges. It is easy to compare Magic to Yu-Gi-Oh! or Bleach (my personal favorite variation on Magic's formula, although sadly recently canceled), but UFS is a different type of game, really. It's like comparing turn-based strategy video games to fighters. Each has its own merits, and it depends on your mood and style for your preference.

Off the top of my head, the only game I can think of (I know there are others) that is similar to UFS would be the DBZ card game -- not the newest one, but the one before that, with the Hero and Villain decks, and the Z-Sword counter.

What would be interesting (and a mindscrew) would be a hybrid of the two varieties -- a game in which you play creatures/characters/whathaveyou, and use attack cards/etc. to designate their actions.

Waits patiently for someone to tell him it already exists.

#30 Antigoth

Antigoth

• Members
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:51 PM

Uhh... yeah... Vampire: The Eternal Struggle... where you control your vampires, they take different actions, can fight your opponents vampires, and you attempt to oust your opponent.

#31 MardukZero

MardukZero

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:11 PM

I knew there had to be one; I just hadn't played it myself.

Oddly enough that's the second time Vampire has been mentioned to me in CCG conversation in the past couple of days.

#32 Antigoth

Antigoth

• Members
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:32 PM

MardukZero said:

I knew there had to be one; I just hadn't played it myself.

Oddly enough that's the second time Vampire has been mentioned to me in CCG conversation in the past couple of days.

IMO - a great CCG. At this point it time it's my back up game to UFS.

#33 vermillian

vermillian

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:00 PM

+1/2

Great game. Furiating multiplayer aspects, and table balancing issues you just can't do anything about. Normally I'm ok with losing the game due to circumstances almost beyond my control. But not when a game of this game takes 1-2 hours, with no (fair) rules for me picking my cards up and throwing in the towel if things aren't going my way or if I have to go pick someone up that I thought already had  aride, or ... several other random reasons one would want/need to leave a game before its 1-2 hour conclusion. :P

So yeah. Great game though none-the-less. I very much recommend it. Just be ready to give it your all for two hours max, and don't be too terror stricken if even a really really good deck loses because of other people's reactions to it...

Man I like VTES... its game / multi player balance just drives me fits.

And no. it is NOT multiplayer like that vomit-fest magic the gathering multi-player where its all against each other, or some kind of three or two headed thing... really you just have to try VTES to truly enjoy multiplayer at its best, as initially designed from the very get go.

Word

#34 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:53 PM

I mean, I like this game a lot. I just don't have the drive right now to keep building decks with the newest stuff, and am saddened that that's basically what you have to do here to compete.

Overall, I would give this game a 7/10. Its multiplayer does kind of suck, though, I'll agree.

#35 vermillian

vermillian

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:44 PM

As you are saddened by your inability to build one deck, and never have to innovate it with occasional changes to the meta and / or newer cards that come out (ie. supporting the company that makes the game in the case of the latter), others would be saddened by the opposite:

Decks that were good and continue to be very good since the very first set that was released...

If you like that kind of a game, might I recommend Vampire the Eternal Struggle, and YuGiOh (and to some extent Magic the Gathering, because no one pays attention to that game's formats for casual play anyhow, and just play always play format Type Whatever).

#36 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:22 PM

Those are the two extremes, and I would argue that no one including myself would say they cling absolutely to one side or the other. I dunno. I prefer to play the characters I like the most, either because I'm good with them in the videogame or because I just like them, period.

And changing up my decks is something I enjoy doing, but I enjoy it a lot more when it's my decision rather than the game's. The issue IMO lies with how tightly character cards are tied to specific deck types, and the ebb and flow of the dominant strategies in UFS.

But then again, I certainly don't think it would be better if the characters and their signature cards had no personality whatsoever. Maybe I really don't know what I want from this game anymore...

#37 vermillian

vermillian

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:30 AM

Touche. Well, if you've noticed recently (assuming you're stil buying cards for it) each set has had fewer characters in them now. This means fewer characters, which kinda makes things... different than how they were at least! lol. Not sure if that's good or bad for ya!

I'd prefer that we start designing sets to be legal for three years, not two... or maybe 2.5? lol

#38 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 04:40 AM

Part of me wants to keep the blocks going at the current rate, just so we can see how long they can go adding points to the shuriken before it becomes hard to tell which cards are legal.

#39 Charitsune

Charitsune

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:24 PM

After my first tournament playing Yi Shan, I have to say the the learning curb is a brain buster compared to YGO, MtG and Chaotic but I find the game quite addictive. Back when I first stared UFS, I honestly ranked it as my number 3 game next to YGO #1 and Chaotic #2. As of now, for non-tourney standards, the chart ratings are still the same for me. Now for the purpose of tournaments and actually investing I'm making more of a change making UFS my #1 favorite tourney game with YGO as my #2 and Chaotic as my #3. To tell you the truth both UFS and Chaotic are slowly taking YGO's place as my favorite cardgames. These two allow for me to have fun win or lose because you're having a ball just battling. Unlike YGO where guys make you hate losing to them just due to their nasty attitudes and terrible gaming manners.

#40 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 06:13 AM

Really? I don't play YGO, but most of the players where I go seem to be really good-natured. Magic, though, plays this trope pretty straight: some of the regulars won't even respond to a "Hi" or a "How's it going?"

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS