357 replies to this topic

#341 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:33 AM

inkblob said:

I finally got word back from Mephisto about the characters!

<snip>

The problems with the Magician Apprentice are an interesting take on the
character's ability. Indeed it is not intended that the character casts
the same spell over and over again. To remove a spell directly from the
game would be also problematic as this ability could be used
aggressively to get rid of certain spells forever. Therefore there are
two solutions.
1. When the Magician Apprentice casts a spell, instead of putting it on
the discard pile it is put below the other cards.
2. The character has to alternate between between drawing from the
discard pile or the spell deck.
The second solution contradicts the card, so I would favor solution 1.
The idea of the ability was just to give this character somewhat more
freedom in learning spells.

Regarding the Black Witch: This was just an error, the starting location
should be the Deep Forest.

<snip>

Best regards
Bjoern

I'm going to go with solution one, it's more in the intended spirit of the character.

Apprentice Mage's "fix" for information.

Perhaps rather than place it at the bottom of the Spell Pile, you could shuffle them into the Spell Pile instead. But then again, that is a change to the intended character...

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#342 gondu

gondu

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:05 AM

Hello!

I´m new to the forums, I hope my english won´t be too much of a problem...

I regularly visit the Talisman-forums to read about news, rule questions and about the newest expansions, of course. Right now I don´t have a regular gaming group, so I don´t get the chance to play very often. But in the last couple of weeks, I tried to refresh my memory considering some of the more... subtle rules-questions.

I own the Mephisto-characters myself and I have to agree, while there are some cool ideas and concepts, they seem to be broken, especially when you add the expansions and compare the Mephisto-characters to newer (maybe too powerful ?) ones. (I don´t know if I like the introduction of even more powerful warrior-types like the dragon slayer and the minotaur, and isn´t a character like the fire wizard superior to the "classic" wizard... I don´t have much experience playing "spell-circlers", on the other side.)

But I write in this forums because last night, I tried to experiment a little bit with the Mephisto-characters. I especially changed the satan´s servant abilities without changing it´s "concept", if you know what I mean. I would like to share some ideas with you (It´s probably still kinda broken, maybe you can give me a clue, considering that you have more experience with the game). Is it ok to post my own ideas for the character (just text) in this forums, or is there a problem considering that the character is "semi-official" ?

I´ll wait for the answer and see, if anyone is interested (there seems to be some anger about these characters, especially in the last posts, so maybe you really just want get rid of them... ?)

btw, I really enjoyed the alternate takes on the charakters by Elliot, for example the "goblin bonemaster" or the black witch´s ability to cross the Storm River.

#343 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:37 AM

gondu said:

But I write in this forums because last night, I tried to experiment a little bit with the Mephisto-characters. I especially changed the satan´s servant abilities without changing it´s "concept", if you know what I mean. I would like to share some ideas with you (It´s probably still kinda broken, maybe you can give me a clue, considering that you have more experience with the game). Is it ok to post my own ideas for the character (just text) in this forums, or is there a problem considering that the character is "semi-official" ?

Hey Gondu,

You can make a new topic in the homebrew section, and post the text from your mephisto characters there.

greetings,

Velhart

#344 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:18 PM

Some ffg/mephisto characters are pretty good with the new expansions, especially with the dragon expansion.

I think that the Martyress has the most deadly ability in the game, if she is used with the Highland and dragon expansion.

If she combine arnkell with her ability, she could end the game within 2 hours. (just focus on getting arnkell, go to tower, and kill the dragon king in one shot!

Illusionistess has become a better character, since sacred pool came out, and she don;t have to fear for enemies inside the dragon tower.

However, she can't hide for the endboss, so she should have decent statistics, to  beat that dragon king from his throne!

Juggler can fool those dragons in battle with his playing balls, to grab all those nice goodies, unless it's a dragon who cannot be evaded.. Maybe he stumble upon the psyonic wand someday..

#345 Kuhmeister

Kuhmeister

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:26 AM

Hi i am from Germany and i bought Talisman in October 2011 in german languange so my nephew and my sidter in law can understand the rules and read

the cards, because they can't speak english. I have to Expansions now The Dungeons and Frostmark. I tried to get the Mephisto magazine with the 12 new

characters but it is sold out everywhere i looked.

Can someone help me out? Maybe send me scans of the german cards or does someone have the German magazine and does not need it anymore so i

could buy it?

#346 gondu

gondu

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:00 AM

Hi!

The magazine with the 12 new characters seems to be still available at the official homepage of Mephisto Magazine: mephisto.name

Good luck!

#347 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:41 PM

Kuhmeister said:

Hi i am from Germany and i bought Talisman in October 2011 in german languange so my nephew and my sidter in law can understand the rules and read

the cards, because they can't speak english. I have to Expansions now The Dungeons and Frostmark. I tried to get the Mephisto magazine with the 12 new

characters but it is sold out everywhere i looked.

Can someone help me out? Maybe send me scans of the german cards or does someone have the German magazine and does not need it anymore so i

could buy it?

You can still buy the special characters here     

#348 TiMBa

TiMBa

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:14 AM

talismanamsilat said:

Ok Jon, will see what I can do for you!

Ell.

Hi Ell,

I have tried to search the forum to see if you have already accomplished Jon's task and i haven't found it.

Have you made an original translation yet?

Thanks,

Amit.

#349 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

The English Revised Edition as follows:

db.tt/6SOusEtY

Regards,

Ell.

#350 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:24 AM

I have bought  some days ago a nice Juggler miniature.

It will arrive soon:)

Sadly, my miniature is unpainted..

#351 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:17 AM

I have receive my Juggler today

I am only waiting for my Ice Queen now..

#352 natstar

natstar

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:51 PM

I got the game recently can you get the cards in a English version as well?

#353 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:12 AM

natstar said:

I got the game recently can you get the cards in a English version as well?

Hi Natstar,

These characters are only available in German versions.

We have translate the characters into english on this forum.

I think you can still buy the original characters cards from Mephisto and FFG, on the Mephisto site.

You can find the Mephisto site here

The cards are included in Mephisto Magazine 48

#354 TiMBa

TiMBa

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:11 AM

Does The English Revised Edition is official?

cause i have another version with mixed special abilities…

Or is this your interpretation for this Mephisto characters?

TiMBa

#355 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:22 AM

There are no officially released versions of these in English. Those that you find around the place are either direct translations (more or less) or fan creations based on the artwork/name.

#356 TiMBa

TiMBa

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:45 AM

So why there's such a difference between the version Ell posted and the version you had posted (a little bit before he did)?

#357 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:16 AM

As I said, some are direct translations (where possible) and others are home brew.

#358 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

TiMBa said:

So why there's such a difference between the version Ell posted and the version you had posted (a little bit before he did)?

Ell does not like some abilities from Mephisto

He has change them himself.

My version is translated from the official german text.

However, i have change a ability from the Apprentice magician, because it´s too powerful.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS