Photo

Is there an (official) two player variant?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 yvesvanherp

yvesvanherp

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:35 AM

Hello guys,

my wife and myself are interested in this game.

Is there a "good" two player variant somewhere out there? And if possible an official one?

Or can someone give a tip on how to play with two players?

Thanks very much in advance!

#2 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 03:34 PM

We are hoping for an official one some day. 

I haven't found a compelling 2-player one yet.  We tried just playing 2 gods and it works OK if you do NOT pick the opposing gods as your two (Slaanesh vs Khorne or Tzeentch vs. Nurgle).  We haven't tested all the combos but Nugle vs. Tzeentch really was an even game.

Otheres have suggested picking one god and then a "helper" god (again, not using the natural nemesis) that can only place figures.  I haven't personally tried it yet.  So i don't remember the other rules.

#3 phobiandarkmoon

phobiandarkmoon

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:21 AM

To be honest, I have found that 4 player games are far more compelling than 3 player games, so two-player may not work all that well. If you want to try a variant, I recommend each player controls two Gods

#4 Vitalis

Vitalis

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:58 AM

yvesvanherp said:

Hello guys,

my wife and myself are interested in this game.

Is there a "good" two player variant somewhere out there? And if possible an official one?

Or can someone give a tip on how to play with two players?

Thanks very much in advance!

me and my wife play it in 2. We just use two gods and have 9 old world cards and thats it. Of course the game begins to focus on certain areas on the map but its OK, even cool.

So you can have lot of fun in just 2 with CiTOW.

#5 aikavaras

aikavaras

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:53 AM

I once saw a nice suggestion for two palyer variant where other player controls Khorne & Tzeencth and the other Nurgle & Slaanesh. The player who manages to fulfill a victory condition for both of his gods wins. And your gods will fight each other if they end up in the same region.

#6 NicotineHell

NicotineHell

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:41 PM

I'm actually working on a solo variant for this game, and after I do some tests this variant would allow for two players as well. The main concern is that this game really is at it's best with four players, but yeah- based on early tests I've been doing, this is NOT impossible.

The trick to variants on these games, is finding a way to make the players not available, seem like they are. I'll say this, it involves some dice rolling...but I'm trying very hard to keep it simple, to tie in with how simple, yet deceptively clever this game really is.

Though honestly? You could very well play two gods each and have at it, I mean I played all four solo and even then had fun(though this again, seems like with four real players, it would be one the best games around).

#7 AbraxiS

AbraxiS

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:41 AM

I´ve took this from BGG ,hope it helps.

Cheers

Paulo

[q="caster53"]This is the variant we play for 2 players - let me know your comments!

1 Both Players a Power and an ALLIED POWER

players take all tokens, figures and CHAOS power sheets

2 Game play is identical to a 4 player set up with the following rules

A The ALLIED power never advances its threat dial

B The ALLIED powers cards are not used

C The ALLIED power may place FIGURES using its POWER POINT TRACK
(deduct cost off track)

D The ALLIED power never receives Victory Points ever!

E The ALLIED powers Cultists still contribute to RUINATION

F The ALLIED powers still contribute to DOMINIATION of a region
(if they dominate then no side scores points!)

G The ALLIED power may attack any figures in combat.

*remember all damage must be applied so they CAN end up attacking the players MAIN CHAOS POWER

The ALLIED powers allow the game to be played by 2 players and give a good tough game !!!

have fun...............[/q]

#8 johtara

johtara

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 06:04 AM

Hi,

I'd like someone who plays a 2-player variant (each player plays with 2 Ruinous Powers) to help me with the following questions:

1) How do you choose starting gods?

2) Do your gods fight each other if they end up in the same region?

3) Do both of your gods have to fulfil victory conditions?

Thanks in advance

#9 Dwarflord

Dwarflord

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:11 PM

I would love to see a one player version !!  I have been playing with my 8 year old son ...a 2 player game ...and we have been having a blast. We are just playing with 5 old world cards and every thing else is the same .

#10 jVincent

jVincent

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:29 AM

I've played two 2-player games, both seemed fairly balanced, and ended with a very close race to victory. We desided to play with infinite old world cards, as we didn't want to stop the game just because we ran out, but we could have played with either 7 or 8, as both games ended around here. 

First game was Khorne vs. Nurgle, and we figured Khorne would have a major advantage because his dial advancement was focused on killing the other player. It turned out quite intense, with both gods winning double dials at different times, and it ended with a very unexpected victory for Nurgle. he needed 1 dial advancement to win, and Khorne needed two with the most VP, and the round ended with combat in 4 regions, with Nurgle getting only one populus, but as luck would have it Khorne only killed in one, so Nurgle won. Khorne ended up having a hard time killing since there was only one players figures, and he always rand out of power first, so getting combat in multiple regions wasn't easy. 

The second game was Slaanesh vs. Tzeentch, which naturally played out with alot less combat, and much more focus on dials, this also ended with a very close race at the end, with Slaanesh taking the lead, since he had 9 power, and was lucky that Tzeentch didn't have many 0-cards, so he got the last rounds, otherwice Tzeentch could just have moved his cultists with warpstones arbitrarily to safety and won. 

Both games feelt fairly balanced, and were quite amusing, nothing like a 4 player game, but ok.

#11 phobiandarkmoon

phobiandarkmoon

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:55 AM

... Nurgle almost won on DIAL TICKS? Man, someone didn't read the strategy section...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS