• Please log in to reply
1599 replies to this topic

#1561 eiterorm

eiterorm

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

Shining Aquas said:

You might be able to replace that line with "If there's nowhere for a gate to retreat, it stays in place".

I have to admit, I didn't like the herald much when I first read it, but it has very quickly grown on me.  Very interesting design idea that encourages proper investigator placement.

That was indeed how I intended it.

Thanks for the compliment. =)

#1562 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

Yeah, Situation 3 was kinda implicit, the problem was Situation 2, as you see, so, a rewording is really welcome :-)

Clearly, you have to design one investigator to force gates to stay in their place / return to nstable locations. Plus, this adds a lot of interesting points: you can use investigators to have gates moving to more interesting locations. for instance, in an Atlach game, it could be good moving a gate from the Witch House to the Twilight Lodge so that an eventual seal is prevented from bursting

Actually, it's good to see that this thing that started as a joke, has become a Herald that's fun to play with :-)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#1563 eiterorm

eiterorm

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

Here's the revised Pacman Horror. I rephrased the last sentence of the "Power Pellets" rules. Hopefully, the rules are clearer in this new version. I also changed the "Game Over" rules. If there are three clue tokens on the herald sheet, the investigators instantly lose the game instead of awakening the Ancient One. I think this is more thematic. For the gameplay, this doesn't change much, as it is highly unlikely that three of your investigators will be devoured by a stalking gate.

Medium resolution --- High resolution

Additional clarifications about the rules:

- Only investigators with an elder sign or sufficient clue tokens are immune to being devoured by a stalking gate. Power tokens or monster trophies (for William Yorick) do not count.

- A stalking gate in a street area is immediately returned to an unstable location when an investigator who matches the above description enters that street area. Return the gate to an unstable location according to the rules before fighting or evading monsters. The investigator is not required to end his movement in that street area in order to return the gate to an unstable location, and may thus return several stalking gates to their unstable locations in a single turn.

- In general, ties are broken by the first player. For instance, if a stalking gate can retreat into several unstable locations, you are free to choose which one.

#1564 eiterorm

eiterorm

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

Julia said:

Yeah, Situation 3 was kinda implicit, the problem was Situation 2, as you see, so, a rewording is really welcome :-)

Clearly, you have to design one investigator to force gates to stay in their place / return to nstable locations. Plus, this adds a lot of interesting points: you can use investigators to have gates moving to more interesting locations. for instance, in an Atlach game, it could be good moving a gate from the Witch House to the Twilight Lodge so that an eventual seal is prevented from bursting

Actually, it's good to see that this thing that started as a joke, has become a Herald that's fun to play with :-)

Done!

Nice, I didn't even think of that. Maybe this herald can be used in other ways I also didn't think of.

#1565 pcblack

pcblack

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

My group were disappointed by the default difficulty of Kingsport Horror so i designed this Herald:

#1566 The Ciaran

The Ciaran

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

Posted this as a Great GOO but I guess the Herald parts technically can stand alone.

To use "The Mythos Stirs" on its own replace Shudde M'ells special with whatever Ancient one you are currently using's special.

#1567 sdkelso

sdkelso

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

Inspired by the Herald here: http://s622.photobuc...html?sort=3&o=4

I took a good idea and tried to improve it a bit. Hopefully I succeded! Let me know what you think.

#1568 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

Sdkelso,
I'm writing you this message on behalf of Avi. He says thanks for the PM, but no. He's not really active any longer on these boards, or on anything related to Arkham, so, sorry, but no. Additionally, he asked me to give you the following suggestion for your herald:

"he might want to consider toughening up the Haunter, or adding random mask attacks along with it, or some kind of bonus attack if Nyarlathotep is AO, or having cursed investigators take further penalties (perhaps -2 movement, but not reducing their movement below 2, to keep with the darkness theme)."

Hope you could understand

JULIA

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#1569 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:47 AM

Sdkelso,
I'm writing you this message on behalf of Avi. He says thanks for the PM, but no. He's not really active any longer on these boards, or on anything related to Arkham, so, sorry, but no. Additionally, he asked me to give you the following suggestion for your herald:

"he might want to consider toughening up the Haunter, or adding random mask attacks along with it, or some kind of bonus attack if Nyarlathotep is AO, or having cursed investigators take further penalties (perhaps -2 movement, but not reducing their movement below 2, to keep with the darkness theme)."

Hope you could understand

JULIA

(reposting because the previous post seemed to have the craziest formatting possible)

#1570 sdkelso

sdkelso

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:32 PM

Haha, well it still appears to have the craziest formatting possible. Anyway, as far as Avi goes, no worries of course. I feel strange thanking him for his advice, as he is not likely to be reading this, but oh well, thanks! Regarding his suggestion, I was worried that the Haunter might be too difficult/annoying as is, but I guess that just goes to show how much I have to learn about heralds.

#1571 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:07 AM

sdkelso said:

Haha, well it still appears to have the craziest formatting possible. Anyway, as far as Avi goes, no worries of course. I feel strange thanking him for his advice, as he is not likely to be reading this, but oh well, thanks! Regarding his suggestion, I was worried that the Haunter might be too difficult/annoying as is, but I guess that just goes to show how much I have to learn about heralds.

I'll tell Avi of your post, don't worry (it happened we're friends outside Arkham boundaries, so…). And you should be able to see some interesting (I hope) new Heralds coming here in the next weeks (I saved all the Heralds brainstorming sessions done with Avi through the years, and sometimes I work on them; two are almost done). Haunter is not too difficult, don't worry. Go on with your ideas :)

#1572 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:47 AM

You're welcome. :'D

Heh…  Okay.  Quick reply.  Basically the herald currently has a few weak spots.  You can just change your game strategy to not shop for unique items (common items and spells only), and you can bless or deliberately retire investigators that you don't want to bother with.  Also, the Haunter is very weak.  A few weapons from the common item store can let even a cursed investigator kill it fairly easily.  

Alternative difficulty boosts.  Rolling a die at the beginning of the mythos phase on a failure (or a 1-4 or a 1-3 depending on the difficulty you want), the first  player can draw a unique item (forcing investigators to recurse even if they try to get around it).  Also, I'd probably give the Haunter +1 toughness.  That should be tough enough to cause problems.

Also, you didn't specify which investigator to move the Haunter to if there's more than one cursed.

Alright, I'm off for another year or so.  Bye guys ;'D

#1573 sdkelso

sdkelso

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:09 PM

Haha, thanks a lot for dropping by. Though it's unlikely you'll read this, I'll respond anyway. You make some good points. Let me say, though, that I'm not sure what you mean regarding blessing cursed investigators: I delibrately removed the only reliable method of doing so that I know of (i.e., the South Church's special ability). And I adapted the Haunter's movement from that of the Hounds of Tindalos, which also don't mention how to resolve "ties". I know that players have found the Hounds' movement ambiguous, but in the interest of economy, I had hoped that people would naturally follow the same guidelines. That issue in particular I don't think I'm willing to change, so consider this post my Herald's very own F.A.Q. sonreir.

As far as the Haunter being too weak goes, I guess that just goes to show how much I have to learn about Arkham Horror, because I don't consider him weak at all, especially to a cursed investigator (who are the ones most likely to be encountering it). And even if an investigator can beat it, he or she has spent a turn and possibly been injured doing so. I'll definitely give it a go with increased toughness, though.

Anyway, thanks again for the help and the advice!

#1574 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:53 AM

Ah…  I can't currently see the herald image, but if you've made it so the church can't bless, that's a major help :') (I was under the impression that you just made it so the haunter guards the church— granted I read while at work and was in a rush, sorry).  Julia notified me that you replied.  Thanks Julia ;')  And bye again.

Oh, also.  You can state the movement principle in an abridged way as "Player's choice in case of tie."  Probably as a parenthetical remark.  Or you can tag those details onto the comments section of your herald image.

#1575 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:32 AM

Avi_dreader said:

Thanks Julia ;')

#1576 Atomicq

Atomicq

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

Hello Everyone,

Recently I bought the King in Yellow expansion, and for us the challenging level increased a lot (yep, we lost). We played with the Herald and the Touring Performance Style. However, the next game we played with the Permanent Performance Style and we never got a single The Next Act Begins! card.

Since I do not own the Miskatonic expansion I lack of the new Act cards that deals with dilution. Anyway, the original The Next Act Begins! cards are pretty nasty (penalties of 2 doom tokens and 2 elder signs!), nastier than the new Act cards (maybe too nasty?). 

So, by the moment, I have worked in a Herald that tries to preserve the probabilities of getting a The Next Act Begins! card from the Touring Performance variant. It is built on top of the original King in Yellow Herald, with added rules only at the start of the game and under the "Haunting Performance" title.

Greetings, and please let me know your comments and suggestions.

tumblr_mq3yi5dqPx1s2gxhdo1_1280.jpg

The Math
KiY brings 27 Mythos cards, including 6 The Next Act Begins! cards.
Since there are 27 possible combinations when playing the Touring Performance (only the KiY Mythos cards on top of that deck) the probability of getting a The Next Act Begins! card is 6/27 or 22%.

Using two dice, we can get a double on the following combinations: 1&1, 2&2, 3&3, 4&4, 5&5, and 6&6. That is 6 combinations in all. 
To get a normal success (besides the 5 and 6 doubles) we have 2 combinations, 5&6 and 6&5.
That's a total of 8 combinations.
Since there are 36 possible combinations when throwing a pair of dice, the probability of getting a double and/or a normal succes is 8/36 or 22%.

Larger file here.

#1577 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:08 AM

Implementing Miskatonic for KiY without having the expansion is still quite simple: the first Act is triggered by the first Environment (Mystic) you draw, the second (first Act must be in play) by drawing an Environment (Urban), the third by an Environment (Weather). Penalties are halved: to put Act I back on top of the deck, you have to add a doom token, to put Act II back you have to remove one Elder Sign from the board. Easy peasy.

As for the touring performance style... it's totally flawed (you get all the press passes very easily, and the director's diary), plus there are no gates opening at low frequency locations, so the game is really twisted. Not so sure some of the "veterans" here plays with it

The idea to fix the touring with an Herald could work, though

• Atomicq likes this

#1578 grimfaery

grimfaery

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:13 AM

Dark-Tidings-Front-Face_zpsdd498725.jpg

I'm posting this here given there is not a sticky for scenarios and it is more of a cross between a herald, scenario, and rumor. Me and the wife do not have much time to play test so any constructive feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

#1579 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:16 PM

The only thing I could see becoming a problem would be space--moving an Ally along with a token every turn the monster moves would just be a little cumbersome, especially if you've got something like a 'Altar' or 'Throne' or anything else placed on the board. All the same, in general it seems like a fun idea.

Another point I just realized is that this would take strategy--I would dare some of our more experienced players to give this a go while ALSO running Innsmouth. Perhaps you could consider an addendum for Innsmouth even, since disappearances happened far more often in that town concerning the Deep Ones. There are more aquatic locations and it would be far more difficult to keep up with the crowd of kidnappings.

#1580 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:17 AM

The kidnappers could dump the allies in the Innsmouth Jail. You could then try and rescue them from the jail with a Sneak (-3) check. Whilst there are any Allies at IJ, roll a die. If you roll less than or the number of Allies at IJ, the ally is sacrificed - +1 Terror, AO gets +1 Doom and Aly is returned to the box.

Also, might be wise to close Ma's for this scenario. (Maybe it got burnt down by suspiciously fish-smelling vagrants)

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS