#21 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:17 PM

marcoa.ramirez@gmail.com said:

dkw said:

Damn symantics, and I used to be really good with such things.

How about this: 1 Board 2 Clues, 2 or more Boards 3 Clues for the fight with the Mask at the Beginning?

I think 2 clues is good. I love the doubts  "2 clues and fight with Mask monster" and "remove a monstrer, but raise Terror"

I translate this Heralds to Spain. I hope you do not bother

Heh...  Look at the previous discussion on game balance to see why one might want three clues for a beginning mask fight.  Otherwise it's disincentivized too much when you add in the ones that devour or will just knock unconscious and start running around the board screwing up other players.

#22 Thelric

Thelric

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:17 PM

Avi_dreader said:
I appreciate why you italicize words like may, although as an ex-English major I find it offensive, albeit completely understandible

OK, I'll bite. Why do you, as an ex-English major, find it offensive to use italics to emphasize words? It is the primary purpose of italic type. I could understand being offended if it was incorrect—as with say, the incorrect use of quotation marks to indicate emphasis (which often negates the intended meaning, e.g.: Now made with "100% beef"!)

I'm not trying to be grumpy. It just struck me as an odd statement and I wondered what you meant by it, especially since a few posts later you emphasize the word "stay" using asterisks. Clearly you are not against all instances/methods of emphasis.

Cheers,
Chris

#23 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:15 PM

::Sigh:: because I view it primarily as a problem of people not really paying attention to the meaning of may.  That is to say, may *means* may.  It's annoying when people miss it or don't listen to mays carefully because it's such a basic and important word (if a reader or listener doesn't pay close attention to the use of may they will often grossly misconstrue meanings— and yes, I'm aware that people do this all the time).  ::Laughter:: I didn't say I didn't understand why he was doing it ;')

P.S.  DKW, I'm looking forward to you posting the final version of the herald.  I wannnt to priiiint iiiit.

#24 Thelric

Thelric

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:07 PM

Avi_dreader said:

::Sigh:: because I view it primarily as a problem of people not really paying attention to the meaning of may.  That is to say, may *means* may.  It's annoying when people miss it or don't listen to mays carefully because it's such a basic and important word (if a reader or listener doesn't pay close attention to the use of may they will often grossly misconstrue meanings— and yes, I'm aware that people do this all the time).  ::Laughter:: I didn't say I didn't understand why he was doing it ;')

I didn't say that you didn't understand why he was doing it. In fact I pointed out the opposite. Actually what I found curious was (a) that you seemed to be suggesting that emphasizing a word might change (or be seen to change) its meaning and (b) that you are applying a double standard. Now, if I understand you, you are saying that some readers have the mistaken idea that italicizing something can fundamentally change its meaning. If that is the case, you seem to be getting offended by the wrong group of people.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to elaborate. 

Cheers,
Chris

#25 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:05 PM

Who said I was offended?  I was just faux-offended— hence the smiley face at the end of the sentence ;') you shouldn't've removed that from the quotation.  Don't assume I have a double standard.  If you assume I have *any* standards, you are making a mistake :')

#26 Mykayel

Mykayel

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 02:20 AM

Does anyone know where I can upload my images of custom heralds or custom scenarios? I'm looking for a fast easy-to-use site.

#27 marcoa.ramirez@gmail.com

marcoa.ramirez@gmail.com

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:28 AM

Hi,

I upload my images of custom Arkham Horror in http://imageshack.us/

Regards,

#28 Mykayel

Mykayel

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:11 AM

Thanks marcoa.ramirez!

Well, I managed to upload it, but for some reason this site doesn't display it. Anyway, I uploaded my herald so that you can at least click on the link in order to see it. I recommend you save it to your PC in order to be able to read the text on the sheet.

This herald was created by me in order to add an extra challange to the game. If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to comment.

Oh, one last thing, you will also need my custom Guardian in order to be able to play with this herald. I'll play a little with Image Shack to see if I can figure out how to show the image to you guys. It will be uploaded into the Custom Guardians thread very soon.

http://img142.images...rontsideup1.png

#29 thorgrim

thorgrim

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:39 AM

Try www.radikal.ru/

While it is in Russian, the Browse button is in English, and to upload you just hit the little blue button below and to the left of Browse. This forum software doesn't seem to know how to navigate redirects like how imageshack works. radikal however doesn't use redirects and will allow your images to show up properly.

#30 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:06 AM

Those checks are way too tough and the penalty for failing them (3 Sanity and 3 stamina) is far too severe. 

When your thinking through your design, a good rule of thumb is:

2 dice = 1/2 success

3 dice = 1 success. 

(Maths note: There's a big difference between requiring at least one success and several successes. If one success is required, then the probability of getting it on 2 dice is 5/9, if we counting the *number* of successes, then it's expected value is (4/9 *1) + (1/9 * 2) = 6/9 = 2/3. I tend to round 2 dice this down to 1/2 success for approximations)

If a check is going to come up a lot in a game, the players should fall about 1/2 success short - this means that players are going to get lucky sometimes and pass, and other times, there going to be pretty close and make up the shortfall with clues. On those occasions when they blow it bad, they save their clues and try again next turn / suck up the damage. A Lore(-2) [3] check would require 3 successes, so we want to ensure the players are aiming at 2.5 successes. Two and a half successes =  approx 8 dice, but with the -2 modifer, that's ten dice. Given that even the best Investigator starts with Lore 6, that's not really a viable option.

The Fight (-3) [2] check is a little easier.  2-0.5 = 1.5 successes = 5 dice. The -3 penalty bumps this up to 8 dice! again the best investigators only get Fight 6 out of the gate, so this isn't much of an option either.

Personally I'd drop your checks them to a plain Lore(-1) or Fight(-1) check and drop the peanlty to move to the church or lose one Sanity or Stamina. an investigator at 3 on one of these stats should have about a ahlf chnace of passing.

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#31 Mykayel

Mykayel

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:38 AM

Jake yet again : I know this Herald seems way too tough, but the reason he is like this is because IF you manage to help him regain his memories, then he joins you. But as I sayid you need the GUARDIAN version in order to use this one. The fact is that I tested this Herald and even tho we were really really low on stamina, sanity and even items, we still managed to win a 4 player game against Cthulhu by defeating him in the final battle. It was difficult but not impossible. I'll think about lowering his scores, but currently I'm busy testing out some stuff that I designed for the game (a sort of unofficial expansion set) with a new ancient one, herald, allies, investigators, spells and unique items, and i'm currently having some balance issues. After I finish with the set I'll get to modifing this herald, but you should just ingnore the (-3) and use it as a (-1) as you said if you think he is too tough.

#32 dkw

dkw

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:21 PM

Sorry for the long absence.  Here is the final, symantic corrected (should be by now), version.

High Quality Version for Printing if desired.

i12.photobucket.com/albums/a247/kyle_bloodheart/Nyarlathotep-Front-Side-3.png

Places to post creations for upload, Photobucket.com is what I use.

#33 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:54 PM

dkw said:

Sorry for the long absence.  Here is the final, symantic corrected (should be by now), version.

High Quality Version for Printing if desired.

i12.photobucket.com/albums/a247/kyle_bloodheart/Nyarlathotep-Front-Side-3.png

Places to post creations for upload, Photobucket.com is what I use.

Hee hee hee...  Long time. "and Ambushed by"  you need to add are.

Also, the mask monster limit is still somewhat ambiguous.  Reading it right now I would think that a mask monster can be placed even if their placement is over the monster limit, but I would think that they would still be counted when considering whether to put other non-mask monsters onto the board.  Also, will they still ignore the monster limit during monster surges (if the ancient one happens to be Nyarlathotep)?  That'd actually be kindof cool ;'D Although it would make playing Nyarlathotep a real nightmare if he is the AO as well as the herald.

Glad to see you again :') I've been looking forward to an update of this herald.

#34 dkw

dkw

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:46 AM

High Quality

i12.photobucket.com/albums/a247/kyle_bloodheart/Nyarlathotep-Front-Side-5.png

That would be odd, having Nyarlathotep as the Ancient One stiring in his slumber, and at the same time, awake and active in paving the way for his own awakening.

One thing I have learned from Arkham Horror, as well as the various rule questions, is that you have to take everything Literally and Verbatum.  Never assume that it could mean something else, but resolve it as written.

You would be correct in your thinking that the Masks are still placed AND count towards the Monster Limit.  Maybe this word change will clear that up a bit.

You are welcome.  Although there is little left in regards to an update.

#35 dkw

dkw

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:40 AM

Wrong low quality update.  The high quality one is correct.

#36 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:32 AM

dkw said:

Wrong low quality update.  The high quality one is correct.

Heh heh heh...  I'm saving this one :')

#37 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:33 AM

dkw said:

That would be odd, having Nyarlathotep as the Ancient One stiring in his slumber, and at the same time, awake and active in paving the way for his own awakening.

One thing I have learned from Arkham Horror, as well as the various rule questions, is that you have to take everything Literally and Verbatum.  Never assume that it could mean something else, but resolve it as written.

You would be correct in your thinking that the Masks are still placed AND count towards the Monster Limit.  Maybe this word change will clear that up a bit.

You are welcome.  Although there is little left in regards to an update.

Nyarlathotep can do many curious things.  Why can't he also make a mask of himself? :'D  Well...  I'm excited.

#38 dkw

dkw

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:53 AM

Thanks for the help with the wording.

Now, anyone can use Nyarlathotep and Mask Monsters without having to face him as the Ancient One.  Even when he helps you deal with the monsters, you are still playing his game the way he wants it played.

#39 The Message

The Message

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:03 PM

Here's one I just finished tonight.

Posted Image

Based off of one of my short stories. It'll be in an expansion I'm currently working on, but is independent enough to post alone.

In case you can't read it (Or don't want to follow the link), here's the rule text:

The Sky Tore Open
Ignore the usual effects of the Terror Track. Instead, use the following effects for each level.

1-Maniacs treat the Terror Level as 6, Discard an Ally from the deck.
2-Close the General Store, Discard an Ally from the deck.
3-Close the Curiousity Shop, Discard an Ally from the deck.
4-Close the ye Olde Magic Shoppe, Discard an Ally from the deck.
5-There is no more Monster Limit, Discard an Ally from the deck.

The Terror Track can never exceed 5. If it would increase beyond that point, add a Doom Token to the Doom Track instead.

Black Tendrils of Obsolescence
When Y'Golonac is the Ancient One, increase the Terror level by 1 each Upkeep

Basically a Terror fiend, making it roughly twice as deadly (Actually, probably moreso, since the closing all become exponentially earlier as you go along...).

#40 kilrah

kilrah

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:44 PM

I'd double the loss of allies, but besides that nice idea.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS