• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 aarondpjames

aarondpjames

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:24 AM

Mission 10 (Dog Fight)

My first mission this week was the "Dog Fight" mission, and to win it, all i had to be was the last man flying!!! To be honist, I was not looking forward to it knowing my mates Hurricane Ace had made it back to his flying squadron, ready to fly this mission. The fact he is an Ace and is in a really deadly aircraft at close range, did'nt fill me with much hope of winning the mission.

Dog Fight 29

Sorry about the crappy photo, but i think i was to busy celebrating the fact my mate had intentionaly left out his Ace from the starting line up!! Apparentaly, he was a bit concerned all of my fighters would target his Ace again, and he might not be so lucky this time. So he has pretty much sidelined him until he has a second to accomapany him. The odds have evened up again!!  There is another method to my mates madness though, he has a few guys that are sitting on 2-3 kills each, so the more flying they do, the more likely there are going to be come Aces.

Dog Fight 30

My usual starting aircraft. With only one pilot out of the three having a single kill under his belt, i was desprate to get some more. I opted for the seperated line up, to try and make my mate seperate his flight, and with a bit of luck, i might be able to put some "Concentrated fire" on to single targets and rack up some early kills.

Dog Fight 31

After a couple of go's, the fighters are getting closer and it looks like we are both going for the "Concentration of fire" method.

Dog Fight 32

The first shots are about to be exchanged......

Dog Fight 33

Another crappy photo I'm affraid, but i was busy celebrating the first kill of the game!! My middle guys on fire, but hopefully he can pull through and stay flying.

Dog Fight 34

After a couple of more turns, I'm still on fire and my mate has been well and truely scattered.  Its just one of those lucky games where i've managed to spend more time getting shots on to my mate, than he has on me...... and his tokens are mounting!!

Dog Fight 35

After shooting down his second Spitfire, and only getting smoke damage in return, i was feeling quite lucky. The German and Genreic Token 109s have just Split-s'ed, and the British token 109 is still trying to take out the final Spit before the fire gets rid of all the planes hit points. The next turn was the game decider. The Spit Split-s'ed and fired at the tailing 109. I the firefight, both planes went down, but i was not to worried as each of my pilots had gotten a kill each in this game. The real problem was when i moved both the German and Genreic Token 109s from there Split-s into turns, and not doing a long stright insted. So both planes crashed due to illegal moves. 

The game only lasted about 15 mins, and in one turn, 4 planes went down and i went from having a decisice victory, to having to conded and draw. Oh well, i've got no one to blame for that buy my self. My pilot that went down in flames, got out of the doomed plane unscaved and even managed bo get back to the squadron in time for the next mission. But my two other pilots were both captured by the enemy and marched off to a POW camp. As for my mate, all of his pilots got back to there squadron in time for there next mission. Bloody Tipical!!!!

#22 aarondpjames

aarondpjames

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:00 AM

Mission 11 (Bomber Rescue)

Normaly i do well at the Bomber rescue missions because I mannage to stay out of close range of the chasing fighters, by droping altertude just about every turn. However, I felt my mate was wise to this trick, so i thought i'd try something different this time, just to try and keep him off ballance.

Bomber Rescue 22

My cunning plan for this game was to stay at the top altertude for the entire game. I had hopped my mate would of droped altertude try and cut me off, and have to spend a few more turns trying to get back up a level, keeping me out of close range for as long as possable...... at least, that was the plan!!

Bomber Rescue 23

He caught up with me pretty quick, and it was'nt long before i was on fire. Still, i was hopping he was going to drop a level....

Bomber Rescue 24

He still has not droped a level, and unfortunatly nore have I. I'm now starting to take a lot of punnishment from both the Spits and the fire, and i dont know how long my 35 hit points will last out for.

Bomber Rescue 25

Unfortunatly my bomber was distroyed before it could be rescued, so i lost the mission. I could however extract some revenge and soak up some easy kills on the Spits that have been shot at by the HE-111. Ha Ha Ha!!!!

Bomber Rescue 26

Is'nt it funny how sometimes your plans just dont work out? I did put some dammage on to the Spits, but they blew up one of mine in return. Another dead pilot, oh well, better get on the phone to HQ and yet another rookie replacement pilot!!

Bomber Rescue 27

Another straf on each other, and i'm still hunting for my first kill

Bomber Rescue 28

We lost another plane each and by the time i could Immalmann/Split-s, the Spits were bugging out and i had no chance of catching them. To rub salt in my wounds after the game, my mate told me that is Spits were on 15 and 16 points of damage each, so no wonder be bugged out. He had already won the mission, with his planes being so badly dammaged, the only thing he was going to acheave was giving me 2 easy kills. The selfish git!!!

#23 aarondpjames

aarondpjames

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:06 AM

Sheppard1972 said:

Aarondpjames: can you take a picture of the stands that you made for your bombers as the group I play with are talking about how to do what you have done and I would like to show them your pictures. Thanks SHEP. BTW, I am enjoying your games and wonder why I am not seeing others showing their pics. HINT, HINT, Kaufy...... I would love to see the lastest models that Kaufy has done.... Also Aarondpjames can you give a link to the site that you used to copy on your bomber stands. Thanks again.

No worrys mate, this should sort you out.

I'll start with Bombers, the German HE 111 to be exact.

1. Go to WWW.wikipedia.org and type in HE 111 to get an abundance of info about the types and different weapons carried by the bomber and there firing arc's. Also going to Google pictures and having a look at verious photos will give you some accurate ideas as to the firing arc's.

2. After that, go to http://richard.ferri...vues/3vues.html and you can find just about any skeleton birds eye drawing of any aircraft you could want. Select which type of HE 111 you want and print it off.

You should have something that looks like this.

3. Mesure the lengh of your bomber (From nose to tail) and photo copy/enlarge the skeleton birds eye view picture until it matches your model bomber.

4. Cut a peice of clear plastic approx 5cm/2inch wide and about 4cm/1.5inch longer than your bomber. This will give you a 2 cm/ 3/4inch over hang for the nose and tail of the plane, important for working out the firing archs.

5. Put plastic over the skeleton drawing and copy it onto the plastic with permant pen.

Bomber flying bases 2

On the picture above i've used black for the aircraft outline, red for the firing arcs and green for the beneath the plane firing arcs. (the ball turrets that have a 360 deg firing arc are the ones with the circle arould them) Blue was used for the direction of travel arrow. As you can see from the picture, i've not been perticualy carful when it came to the drawing onto the plastic, but at the end of the day, as long as it preresents your model, and the firing arcs are in the right place, then it's do's not really matter.

6. Cover the permant pen with Sticky plastic sheeting to prevent the pen getting smudged during gamming.

7. Find the centre of ballance for you plane and drill/insert and rod into it to hold the plane to the altertude pegs.

Bomber flying bases 5

I did match the under belly colour to the rod, trying to blend in with each other, but after a few games, the brass rod began to come through again.

8. On the flying base, drill and hole and glue a altertude peg into in, just make sure it matches up with the location you have put the rod into you bomber.

Bomber flying bases 3

Each bomber is likely to have a different altertude peg location and you well lose a peg per stand as you've just glued it into place. I did try to just have a loose hole to sit it in without using glue, but it just wobbled arould to much, so out came the glue.

9. And thats you done.

Bomber flying bases 1

The only problem i had, and still do, is working out the speed and turning circle of the bomber. We had thought of making our own "Bomber flying deck" for movement cards, but it that seemed like a lot of hard work, and we wanted to get them up in the air ASAP. So what we did insted, was to move the blue direction of travel arrow and marker, closer to gether on the bomber bases and used a "D" deck for movement.

Bomber flying bases 5

On the left is our HE 111 base and on the right is a flying base from the WW1 WOW which we use for our  WW2 fighters. As you can see the direction of travel arrow and the line at the front of the base are both represented, but the bombers arrow is a lot more closer, making its morement shorter per turn. This enables the fighters to our run the bombers and keep it as realistic as possable.

The only problem we have with the flying base is figuring out the turns. If we do normal turns as per the movement deck, because we have slowed the distance traveled by the bomber, it almost looks like its turning on the spot. (And at no point in history, have i ever read about a bomber being able to out turn a fighter.) So for now, we are doing 1/2 turns with it, which kind of make it equal to a fighters turning circle, which is still not ideal. This is where its own bomber deck would come in handy, so i guess it wont be long before i have to bite the bullet and make the bomber deck and stop being lazy.

Other flying bases are made in the same way, but smaller amd with less detail.

Other flying bases 2

On the left is a "Val" dive bomber, with firing arc's and a shorter flying base (about 1cm  shorter than the standard WOW  WW1 base to make it a little bit slower than the fighters). In middle is a P51 with the the standard WOW  WW1 base (just for visual perpersentation). And on the right is a ME 262 with a 2cm longer flying base than the standard fighter due to it jet speed of 500mph +. The firing arc of 262 is narrower than the standard base which fits in nicely withthe fact is must be harder to line up your target the faster you are traveling. 

The only problem with the 262 base is its hard to judge where the aircraft will end up after the end of its 2 movement turns. You kind of get used to flying the standard flying bases.

Other flying bases 1 Other flying bases 4

Just stuck this in for overall comparason for all the flying bases i've discused here.

Hope this helps Shep, got any problems/questions, just give me a shout.

#24 aarondpjames

aarondpjames

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:54 AM

Mission 12 (Bombing Raid)

It was my mates turn to complete the mission, and Bombing raid was the choice of the dice. Not a bad one for him, as the Lancaster has 50 hit points so he can stay in the combat longer than my 35 hit point HE-111. However, my BF 109's tend to do quite well at this mission, especialy when the combat gets into to close range. It doe's not matter what the damage is on the tokens, the prize is when your mate has to pick up 3 tokens for one burst of fire on his aircraft.........Pirceless!!! (Ofcourse, its always nice if its two 8's and a 4.........just for good measure!!)

Bombing Raid 13

True to previous form, my mate left his Ace out of the battle again..........maybe he knows something i dont??  I on the other hand, had my usual line up of 3 x BF 109s. I do have a pilot with two kills under his belt, but i gave him the day off, its good for there moral you know!! So i have 3 complete rookies, with not a single kill amongst them. This just means i can be more reckless with my decisions and not have to worry about loosing someone of value, and focus of winning the mission.

Bombing Raid 16

The first round of battle.  My 109 apporach at full speed, ready to slow speed the next turn and be in close range for the next shot. At the same time, the centre 109 can colide with the bomber for that extra C token of damage (Well, i am despreate you know!!) and they can immalmann on the following turn........at least thats the plan, anyway!

Bombing Raid 17

The first round of shooting was looking good...............you never know, at this rate, i may even win!!

Bombing Raid 18

Still working on the colision/immelmann plan. The center 109 is still in line with the other two 109, but there is no space for it with the bomber being there, hence the card to the side, to mark where the plan should be.

Bombing Raid 19

Before the shooting, everythings still working to plan. The Bombers has taken a bit of damage but that Spitfire thats on fire, just wont go down!

Bombing Raid 20

After the shooting, its not looking to rosie now! The flaming Spits still up but the bomber is smoking. I now have just one plane to finish the mission and you just know the Spits are going to Split-s/Immelmanning in behind me in the next turn while if desperatly consuntrate on the bomber.

Bombing Raid 21

I was saved a good strafing from the number 4 Spit as he Immelmanned and went up a peg, so therefore could only give me a long range shot. Unfortunatly, that shot put me within 1 point of being distroyed, i just had to hope the bomber missed with its turret. And then it happened, the Patrion Saint of Wargamers smiled down on me. My mate elected not to shoot at me with the top turret. Rather kind you might think, but it was not charity that was on his mind, oh no, it was one of our house rules. If a bomber takes a "wouned pilot" token, the pilot/gunner nearest the attacking aircraft is then disabled. This makes it harder to shoot down the bomber, as i'm sure it was in reality and also brings a lighter side to the game. It was then that i found out that in the previous two turns, both the rear gunner ant top turret gunner had received "Wounded pilot" tokens, and were out of action. Now the lighter side began to kick in. I started to laugh my ass off as i was tucked into the side of the bomber, and it had no defences, easy pray!!!.........except for the Spitfires of course!!

The next move saw the two Spits carry out there prediceted move after the Immelmann and the bomber and be carried on turning towards the target card in the bottom left of the above picture. The Number 4 Spit over few me and the bomber was not on target to release its bombs...........so i finished it off and won the mission.  The next moves after that saw me diving away from the number 4 Spit towards my table edge and the Spits trying to catch me up.

My final plane made it home, and the flames went out on the Spit that was on fire. Bloody tipical!!

#25 aarondpjames

aarondpjames

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:47 AM

Mission 13 (Recon)

It was my turn. I had not done a Recon mission for a while and i dont ever remember winning one either, so i did'nt have a good feeling about this one. The bad feeling subsided into sheer terror when my mate carmly announced at he now had his second ace and as a concquence was going to be feilding two huricanes in this mission...............Oh bugger!!!

Recon 5

The dreaded British line up with it's two aces

Recon 6

My line up...........not looking quite as hard as my mates!! I went for a wide set up, as i figured the only way i would survive the battle was to seperate his aircraft.

Recon 7

At the end of the first turn, i left my squadron looking line i was going for the "Horns of the Buffalo" attack. This was infact a bluff, as i know my mate hates this attack. If in the next turn i can get him to seperate his flight to intersept the flanking aircraft and at the same i move mine into close formation, i can punch a hole through the centre and hopefully dodge the Hurricanes.

Recon 8

A bad picture i'm affraid, but as you can see, my mate was not falling for it..............i'm in the poo now!!!!

Recon 9

Nerves must of got the better of me, as i managed to take a lot of bad photos during this game. My flanking 109 move into the centre of the pack and my Recon 109 drops a peg to avoide the pending damage.

Recon 10

Although my plan had'nt worked as i had hoped, i have still managed to avoid a close range burst form the Hurricanes and managed to perform a consontrated fire on the Spit...........who had Immelmenned too soon. Ha ha ha !!!

Recon 11

However, true to form it never went fully to plan. The Spit absorbed all of the fire and was still flying. And i had lost a 109 due to a colosion with the hurricane.

Recon 12

After the Hurricane immelmanned, it gave me something to shoot at, but at the same time, the number 1 Hurricane had me in his sights. My recon 109 was still tucked in behind the Spit, and as wearing away its defences.

Recon 13

I stoped fireing at the Spit with my Recon 109 just in time to take a photo of the target, 1 down 2 more to go. Unfortunatly the Hurricanes are closing in on me.

Recon 14

Just as I'm about to put in a high speed move, ready for an immelmann, the Hurricanes take my Recon 109 out and my mate wins the mission.

Recon 15

The Spit heads of the table to safety (Coward!!!) i decide to go for the Hurricanes for a bit of vengance.

Recon 16

Not wanting to take on a Hurricane "Face to face", i noticed the number 4 Hurricane had just compleded a number of slow speed moves. Hum? He's got a few counters, so maybe he has engine damage? Target number 4 before he limps off the table!!

Recon 17

I managed to avoid the Head to head with the number 1 Hurricane, only to do the same with Number 4!! He perdormed a Split-S (ruining my idea that he had engine damage) and shot me out of the sky.

My mate showed me afterwards the damage tokens for Number 4. Out of 7 tokens, 6 were zero's and one was a 3. Not an engine damage counter in site!! I don't know if he showed me out of fair play, or just to taunt me!!!!

Either way, another bad day for the Luftwaffer!!!

#26 csadn

csadn

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:03 PM

aarondpjames said:

Either way, another bad day for the Luftwaffer!!!

Looks to me like History is playing out as it should -- which is more than could be said for a WW2-*Tank*-combat game....

"What's the most effective defense against a German Army?"

"Six feet of salt water." >:)

(I need to train up the SO a bit more; then I can start running my "alternate history" _WoW2_ events -- where AH dies during the Beer Hall Putsch, and it's Uncle Joe who starts WW2.... >:) )

#27 aarondpjames

aarondpjames

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:19 AM

Mate, I wish i could get my "SO" involved with WOW, we might at least have something decent to talk about!!

As for alternitive history, maybe i should of been in charge of the Luftwaffer? The Battle of Britian would not of happened as all of my pilots would of been dead or in POW camps and the whole war would of been over by summer 1940.

We would of had to learn about something else at school during history lessons!!

#28 csadn

csadn

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:51 PM

First: Forgive the nitpickiness, but it's "[would|could|should]*'ve*", not "[would|could|should] of". (Contraction-form of "[n] have".)

OK, now on to the regular silliness:

aarondpjames said:

Mate, I wish i could get my "SO" involved with WOW, we might at least have something decent to talk about!! 

I'm amazed mine picked it up at all -- she's so non-confrontational, she makes Deepak Chopra look like Oddjob.... :)

aarondpjames said:

As for alternitive history, maybe i should of been in charge of the Luftwaffer? The Battle of Britian would not of happened as all of my pilots would of been dead or in POW camps and the whole war would of been over by summer 1940.

We would of had to learn about something else at school during history lessons!! 

I doubt you could possibly have screwed up any worse than a morphine-addicted borderline-crossdresser, esp. considering who you'd have for a Boss. :)

#29 aarondpjames

aarondpjames

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:29 PM

csadn said:

I doubt you could possibly have screwed up any worse than a morphine-addicted borderline-crossdresser, esp. considering who you'd have for a Boss. :)

Yeah, fair one. My Boss is pretty good, i could'nt imagine what it must of been like to work for Adolf on a bad day?? You'd be playing rock, paper, sissiors for who is going to give him the bad news!! And if you were lucky, he might only send you off the the Russian front!!

#30 Sheppard1972

Sheppard1972

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:44 AM

aarondpjames, thanks for showing your stands for the bombers and such. I will show it to the guys and see what we can come up with. A problem that I see is that the group that I play with, except one guy, is not interested in the WW1 game so we don't have any of the pegs and I wish they sold them seperate somewhere so the group I play with could get them. We are looking for something to use in place of this and would like any ideas that people have used. BTW, if I live in England I would love to game with you guys over some suds (beer). Thanks again aarondpjames and I hope your luck changes in your games as it looks like you need some. KILL THOSE ACES!!!!!

#31 aarondpjames

aarondpjames

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:00 PM

Shep,

Have a look at this site,

http://www.litkoaero...D/AFS/AFS022-10

If i've done it right,  the above link should show you the flying stands and the below one should show you some of the altertude pegs that they do.

http://www.litkoaero...D/AFS/AFS007-10

I've not used them myself, but as far as the pictures go, they look ok.

#32 Sheppard1972

Sheppard1972

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:25 AM

aarondpjames said:

Shep,

Have a look at this site,

http://www.litkoaero...D/AFS/AFS022-10

If i've done it right,  the above link should show you the flying stands and the below one should show you some of the altertude pegs that they do.

http://www.litkoaero...D/AFS/AFS007-10

I've not used them myself, but as far as the pictures go, they look ok.

Thanks, I will be getting some of the sweet stuff from this site. We are talking about ideas for clouds and some houserules for the use of them such as chasing someone through them. I love your fire and smoke from your planes what is that? Cotton balls painted or what? We are using pipe cleaner wire but I think yours look 100 times better looking. BTW how do you transport that smoke? Thanks Shep.

#33 Kilowolf

Kilowolf

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:08 AM

what are you using for your fire and smoke effects? 

#34 aarondpjames

aarondpjames

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:32 AM

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner Kilowolf.

The Smoke effects are a childs butterfly hair clip with a metal drilled into it and some "Flames of War" cotton wool flames/smoke glued over the top. If this makes no sence to you, just let me know and i'll do some photos of who to make one.

#35 Kilowolf

Kilowolf

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:32 AM

I think i kind of understand what your saying.  If it wouldnt be too much trouble i would love to see some pics on creating them tho!  yours look really awesome and i would love to try and do something similar for my Wow games.  

#36 Sheppard1972

Sheppard1972

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:45 AM

aarondpjames, it would be cool if you could do a tutorial. If you can show how you made it and what products you used that would be great. Are you still doing your Campaign Games as I haven't seen anything new here in a while. Hope you didn't give up because of your luck or your friends good luck. Wondered if you were downing more planes in your Battle of Britain. Thanks SHEP.

#37 aarondpjames

aarondpjames

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:51 AM

Kilowolf & Shep 

No worrys guys, i'll get a step by step tutorial up on the site soon, but this time with loads of photos.

I've not sacked the campaign games, even though i keep getting my arse kicked.

I've got a couple more battles to stick up on this thread, and some of the games even turned out in my favour, i'm just lacking the time at the moment.

I'll try and get the tread updated in the next couple of days.

#38 Kilowolf

Kilowolf

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:50 AM

Thank you much aarondpjames! 

#39 aarondpjames

aarondpjames

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:32 AM

Realy sorry guys, but for some reason i can attach any photos? does any one else have the same problem uploading photos or know if we are limited to a certan amount per login?

#40 Kilowolf

Kilowolf

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:36 AM

Sorry i have no idea.  If you are part of the yahoo wings of war group you can upload them there, but if not dont worry about it.  I  really appreciate the info you have given thus far!   

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS