Favorite HP story?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Bokrug

Bokrug

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:49 PM

It's hard to say, really.  For me, my favorite keeps changing.  When I first started reading his stuff 20 years or so ago, I loved The Outsider, and Imprisoned with the Pharoahs.  Later, I appreciated The Rats in the Walls and From Beyond for being exceptionally interesting.  Most recently, it's The Haunter of the Dark that I enjoyed most.  I imagine the next time I read through my collection it will be something else that strikes me as being particularly clever...

#22 old_school_overlord

old_school_overlord

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:31 AM

MGBM said:

I am hoping for a good movie based on The Case one day, the story is perfect to be adapted to film.

Well, as long as your willing to overlook the fact that parts of it would be flashbacks based on research done by someone that was later described to someone else who is relating the whole tale in another flashback...

#23 badweasel

badweasel

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:41 AM

Easily The Outsider for me.  I also really enjoy Rats in the Walls and Shadow Over Innsmouth.  But they are nowhere close to The Outsider, something about the story just pulls me in.

#24 Big Mac

Big Mac

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:19 PM

My first exposure to Lovecraft was The Shadow over Innsmouth, so it's easy to call that my favorite.  But The Rats in the Walls really freaked me out as a kid (and it still does!),  Basically, have to call it a tie.

#25 jpowers

jpowers

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:14 PM

The Shadow Out of Time, although The Outsider is a close second.

#26 Gatha

Gatha

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:31 AM

So far only The Temple has creeped me out

#27 Cthulhu''s Uncle

Cthulhu''s Uncle

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:46 AM

Dr. Zoltar said:

I have to agree with PearlJamaholic.  The Colour Out of  Space is my favorite too.  Has anyone read the unofficial sequel book The Colour Out of Time (done in 1985)?

I got this when it came out - I'm afraid that I wasn't massively impressed. As far as I can remember, it starts off as quite a good pastiche, but it loses it as the story develops. Pick up a cheap copy if you come across one, but I'd stick with the original every time.

#28 Cthulhu''s Uncle

Cthulhu''s Uncle

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:58 AM

Difficult choice! Only one?

It depends what you want - for a Cthulhu mythos story it has to be At The Mountains of Madness. If you want a grim horror story dig out Cool Air or In The Vault. Failing that, The Cats of Ulthar is always good for a laugh!

#29 sepayne7l

sepayne7l

• Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:54 AM

The Call of Cthulhu was the first one I read in an old "Tales of Cthulhu Mythose Vol. 1" anthology in my high school library. Still my favorite. The next would be The Shunned House.

#30 vortexgods

vortexgods

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:45 PM

My favorite is The Statement of Randolph Carter.  I also love the fantasies, The Cats of Ulthar and The Doom that Came to Sarnath. 

#31 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:28 AM

bump

I read 3 HPL Omnibus over the past weeks. Happened upon them when I was killing time (stupid Invulnerability text ) and browsing in a book store. As a heavy Arkham Horror addict, figured what the hell.

Whisperer in Darkness was very nice, easily my favourite. Also the only one that gave me the creeps. Of the non-Mythos stuff, The Quest of Iranion was awesome.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#32 Overkongen

Overkongen

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:47 AM

I can't put my finger on why, but "The thing on the Doorstep" really did it for me. After having read biographies of Lovecraft, I'm pretty sure the main character (NOT the narrator) is based on himself. I really really disliked "Whisperer in the Darkness"... It might be just me, but the Mi-Go don't seem evil to me. I might've read it wrong, but to me, they seemed genuine in their offer, and thus, were being friendly... And friendly... Creatures? Things? Fungi? don't make for good horror stories.

#33 Powerslave60

Powerslave60

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:34 AM

I haven't read all of Lovecraft's stories, but of the ones I have,  Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn, A Shadow over Innsmouth and The Music of Eric Zann.  All of those had endings that really made me think.

#34 Glasser's Muse

Glasser's Muse

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:20 PM

I'm going to have to be cliched and say that 'Call of Cthulhu' is my favourite, it was so groundbreaking for its time and has, well, Cthulhu in it.

#35 MechSpike

MechSpike

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:59 AM

I'm with you on the Thing On The Doorstep, that story just creeped me out and has the best opening line in any short horror story I've read. On the contrary, I Whisperer In Darkness is in my top 5. The ending where he goes downstairs and finds...well I won't give anything away, but it literally gave me chills!

#36 Hellfury

Hellfury

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:45 PM

I simply cant reduce the body of work into a favorite selection. I like each story for different reasons, even the shorter poems.

But I will strive to list what I like and why in a short list.

The Dunwich horror, because of how immersive the story is due to Wilbur Whateley's own words. Chilling how nefarious he is depicted.

The Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath, because of its epic scale and a dreamers path to find his most cherished memory again. When viewed in a certain light, it is a very personal story of Lovecraft's, one which could easily be superimposed to be almost autobiographical in a manner of speaking.

The Shadow out of Time, because it makes such a great alternate history read. Fantastic in its attempt.

The Silver Key and Through the Gates of the Silver Key. The first because of its very well defined descriptions and the hint of something grander. I am glad E. Hoffman Price submitted his draft for Lovecraft to co-author (though its fairly obvious looking at the original manuscripts that Price was the real author with Lovecraft basically editing the piece) because of the ingenious and monumental scale of the journey and the power of a single man's dreams. Its stories like this that makes the Dreamlands such a riveting plot device.

#37 Patches the Drow

Patches the Drow

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:01 PM

The Dream Quest of Uknown Kadath.  I reread sentences in that story just because I love how Lovecraft's Syntax was.  I also love the comedy throughout the books and how lighthearted it was.

#38 Patches the Drow

Patches the Drow

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:05 PM

Powerslave60 said:

Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn.

That story was rather macabre.  I found it to be up there in creepiness.  Obviously it didn't beat Dagon or The Color out of Space or the Horror at Red Hook....

but it was good.

#39 skipn50

skipn50

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:28 AM

THE DUNWICH HORROR, hands down the best!

They've made two crappy movies of it.  Both starring Dean Stockwell.  Really awful.  But the story is first class.

#40 skipn50

skipn50

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:29 AM

OH, I"m sure you've all seen the SAMURAI CAT send up, THE DUNWICH COW.  It's a classic.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS