Photo

So it's a week later. What do you think about the game now?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 Uziel

Uziel

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 12:15 PM

I am intrigued and very hopeful.  Everything I've seen so far makes me cautiously optimistic.

#22 Requete

Requete

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:16 PM

I've gone from confused and angry to just plain baffled.

#23 strayknife

strayknife

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:33 PM

I have been excited from the very beginning. And after watching these videos, I just cannnot wait to get my hands on this new edition.

#24 kristof65

kristof65

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:01 PM

So it's been two weeks since I was last at the FFG site.  So I just learned about this tonight.

My first reaction:  WTF?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My second reaction: Is this a true 3e? Or just a hybrid "starter pack?"

My third reaction upon figuring out it's apparently a true 3e:  What was wrong with 2e?

Honestly, I don't care if this new edition of WFRP is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I'm not buying into it. Thanks to the D&D 3e and 4e fiasco, I'm finally seeing a lot more "It's gotta be D&D or nothing" players finally willing to try WFRP.  One of the  selling points has been that WFRP 2e is only four years old or so, and with the track record of GW, even if it went out of print, it was likely to be stable for a few years more to come.

And it was reasonably inexpensive to buy into.  Which this new edition doesn't look like it's going to be.

I'm not going to sit  here and even attempt to trash the new version, because frankly, there isn't enough out there to know much about it. And I'm not even going to bother to learn about it. It doesn't matter. As far as I'm concerned, the people who decided to release a new edition of WFRP now have apparently been living in complete media seclusion for the last two years, and were blissfully unaware of the huge rift 4e has wrought among D&D players - because they're doing the same damn thing to WFRP.

As far as I'm concerned, 2e is WFRP. I'm going to do what I did to get through the drought that was WFRP when 1e went out of print - buy a few extra copies so that new players have a book to borrow, and/or possibly even buy from me if they can't manage to locate their own copy.  And I'll happily play 2e until/if WFRP 4e comes about, and see if it's any good.

Bad move FFG, bad move. It's too soon for a new edition. The funds I was setting aside for Runebound and Descent and all their expansions is now going towards every used copy of WFRP 2e I can find, along with a few copies of some other books, like the career compendium.

#25 donbaloo

donbaloo

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:17 PM

Well the videos certainly helped to stoke the embers of my enthusiasm.  I originally wanted to wait for the first adventure campaign to be released to make my decision.  I'd still like  to wait on it, but I was certainly impressed with what I saw in the videos...

#26 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:18 PM

kristof65 said:

Thanks to the D&D 3e and 4e fiasco, I'm finally seeing a lot more "It's gotta be D&D or nothing" players finally willing to try WFRP.  

Consider me one of those people.  4e sucks the sweat off of a pidgeon cloaca.

I just want to play..what sucks is starting a group too often requires sucking up to play 4e and then hijacking players to play WFRP.  I hope the new edition will change at least some of that..but it depends on the players.  When 2e came out, from what I can see on the BI site, there was a lot of enthusiasm..then 4 short years later and people don't even know what WFRP is and there's not one, single game playing at GenCon 2009 (probably because people heard 3E was coming out?  or was it for another reason?)  Hopefully if 2E and 3E players can continue to GROW WFRP, that will improve WFRP's standing against inferior games (like D&D).

jh

#27 kristof65

kristof65

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:25 PM

Emirikol said:

Hopefully if 2E and 3E players can continue to GROW WFRP, that will improve WFRP's standing against inferior games (like D&D).

IMO, one of WFRP's biggest weaknesses in competing with other RPGs is the Warhammer setting itself. Not that the Warhammer setting isn't great, but way too many people are under the impression it's the only setting you can play WFRP in.  Which just ain't true.  In fact, out of the 6 or 7 WFRP campaigns I've played or run, only a couple were actually set in the Warhammer World.

I use WFRP 2e for my Iskitaan campaign, which is decidely NOT Warhammer (http://iskitaan.heismann.net if you're interested in checking it out)

I actually have fewer house rules and character restrictions running my Iskitaan campaign with WFRP (either 1e or 2e) than I ever had to use with AD&D or D&D 3e.

Frankly, I'd love to see the WFRP 2e rules stripped down to a non-setting specific core, and released as an OGL product.

#28 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:05 PM

Interesting concept and true.  Limiting to "one world" and saying that the product is only good in "one world" is a negative to growth. 

A while back, I posted on RPG.net the question of whether or not WFRP2 could be run in the Forgotten Realms.   Man, people came out of the woodwork to say how it could never be done.  ;)   I think it would be fun to try it out (and just to blaspheme the FR setting..but that's just the protagonist in me...

jh

#29 Peacekeeper_b

Peacekeeper_b

• Members
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:35 PM

Was angry at first, then decided I didnt care, but everyone else still talked about it, so now Im angry again.

Time for me to take up a masked avenger identity and strike my vengeance on any copy of WFRP3E I see, and leave behind a calling card with the web address for the WFRP2E PDFs on it.

#30 Foolishboy

Foolishboy

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:49 PM

Happy Birthday PeaceKeeper

#31 Justthatguy

Justthatguy

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:26 PM

First I´d like to thank FFG for the presentation vid´s. It kinda changed my mind a bit. The frist thing I saw in the news was these character sheets and cards and litterarily my first thought was "Come on?!" Though I must say, after watching the vids, that they introduced some cool mechanics. But dice without numbers.... that´s too much to handle at once :D

I like the idea of the party sheet and the connected mechanics, as well as the recklesness track. Maybe, a kind of upgrade pack for the 2nd Edition which includes the recklesness meter and the party sheet and of course some adjusted rules.

#32 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

Laser Brain

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:32 PM

Happy birthday Peacekeeper! Here's to ya!

Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

#33 Crazy Aido

Crazy Aido

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:47 AM

I will attempt, as much as possible, to be as calm and level with my opinions of the new game, even though I haven't seen it yet, I have kept as close an eye on it as is possible. 

I have been GM'ing WHFRP for about four years now since it's initial release by black industries and have followed it with a certain degree of trepidation over it's various bumps and setbacks. I was very enthusiastic when it and Dark Heresy were purchased by FFG, since BI seemed to be a little too uninterested in it.

Over the past few months, with the great enthusiasm for DH that has arisen, I have found myself becoming more drawn towards WHFRP, mostly for its background and the grim, medieval twist to it. I've attempted to set up a resource site for WHFRP, with my own home-brew rules, as well as doing a good bit of writing for my university forum on my favourite NPC's. I feel I have really engaged with WHFRP and have gained as much as I can from the system, which at times can be unforgiving for a GM. 

The new system seems to tend to some of my needs, but it still seems as if some of my other concerns are being left out in the cold. I will review, breifly.

1. I enjoyed messing with the WHFRP mechanic to make it a little more technical and try and get the PC's thinking. A situation where they role to attack, the enemy roles to parry, repeat ad naseum, is something I have always tried to avoid. Combat is a major part of my games and I try to make it as interesting as possible, but sometimes it slows down quit easily. What FFG seems to be doing in that respect is interesting and appeals to me. 

2. The dice mechanic seems a little intimidating, I haven't really experienced anything like this before and since I have yet to experience it, I can't really expand further on it. I am a little worried, though the design seems to be based on incorporating as much of the random elements of chance into it, I fear it may be too technical or perhaps takes the descriptive element away from the GM. 

3. I hear your making critical hits something that can occur from the first round of combat, well done that man. 

4. I am concerned over the career and talent system. How heroic are your heroes? One of the more enjoyable facets of my gaming experience was that monsters, regardless of the career level of the PC's, always posed a significant danger of death. How dangerous is combat? Is damage as long lasting and debilitating as before? I would frequently be able to wear down my PC's due to a lack of healing spells and other such items, which I felt was a great since it added a fantastic element of tension. 

5. In a similar vain, another element I really enjoyed about WHFRP was the often crushing effects of exposure to chaos. Can I still mutate and drive my PC's insane? How easy is it? I didn't find this being related to in the videos or else were to my satisfaction and I feel this important element of the game has been played down.

6. Personal preference leads me to hate elves, any race that spends it's time lamenting their decline and ignoring the possible, highly enjoyable solution to their low birth rate deserves to go the way of the dodo. Adding twice as many of them causes me to raise an eyebrow.

7. What is my role now as GM? This is of major concern to me, since I rarely find anyone with the cahungas to step up and assume my (in)glorious mantle. The provision of tables, cards, books and in depth rule sets seems to put power very firmly in the hands of the players, as well as increasing concerns that the game now resembles more of a board game than an RPG. As GM, how much control do I have over combat and the options available to the players? 

8. In almost complete opposition to my first statement, while making combat more technical does increase the enjoyment of it, how much does it take away from the other actions that make an RPG an RPG and not just a cardboard version of a computer game? I see some references to social actions, but how important are these actions and others, that make RPG's the immersive experience they are, where thinking on the fly can get one out of a tight spot. I have often found that sometimes the best system is no system at all. Ovrcomplication is another significant worry of mine.

9. Finally, all those different coloured dice look like they will get lost. 

That's the extent of my "rant", if people care to answer, that would be great. As you can see, I have alot of great concerns over this game. I will more than likely purchase the full set, but it remains to be seen how I will play afterwards.

#34 jadrax

jadrax

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:13 AM

Emirikol said:

A while back, I posted on RPG.net the question of whether or not WFRP2 could be run in the Forgotten Realms.   Man, people came out of the woodwork to say how it could never be done.  ;)   I think it would be fun to try it out (and just to blaspheme the FR setting..but that's just the protagonist in me...

Rpg.net has its own culture that can be quite detached from the Roleplaying mainstream. To be fair, any forum does. I know of at least one long-running Greyhawk campaign run under WFRP1 rules, so I do not see why Forgotten Realms could not be, although it would be quite some work.

#35 Nostromo

Nostromo

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:07 AM

I can;t wait for this system and will buy it day one even with the jacked up adventurers tooklit....so essentially base system will be 130+ Bucks....who are you kidding you all are going to  get the toolkit as well with an extra set of dice, 10 new careers + pet rules :)  come on

I have been waiting a long time for a new innovative resource management aspect added to RPG.s  Im 30 somethings that started with DND and WHFRPG in grade/school/highschool and moved to board games when i started college due to time.  RPG s just take too long and arent as satisfying to me as boardgames.  I really love how RPG;s are now moving toward the same thing.  DnD tried it and failed (IMHO) and i am excited to see what FFG does with the whole boardgame meets RPG....can't wait!!!

#36 Hamish Longstride

Hamish Longstride

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:33 AM

Nostromo said:

I have been waiting a long time for a new innovative resource management aspect added to RPG.s  Im 30 somethings that started with DND and WHFRPG in grade/school/highschool and moved to board games when i started college due to time.  RPG s just take too long and arent as satisfying to me as boardgames.  I really love how RPG;s are now moving toward the same thing.  DnD tried it and failed (IMHO) and i am excited to see what FFG does with the whole boardgame meets RPG....can't wait!!!

I'm hearing you!

#37 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

Laser Brain

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:36 AM

Crazy Aido said:

What is my role now as GM? This is of major concern to me, since I rarely find anyone with the cahungas to step up and assume my (in)glorious mantle. The provision of tables, cards, books and in depth rule sets seems to put power very firmly in the hands of the players, as well as increasing concerns that the game now resembles more of a board game than an RPG. As GM, how much control do I have over combat and the options available to the players?

You might feel better about this after reading the "What is Roleplaying?" section here:

www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp

Especially this part:

"The GM presents the stories and situations, provides the setting and its denizens, and adjudicates the rules. The other players take on the roles of the characters, around which the action primarily revolves. These characters are known as the Player Characters (PCs). They describe their intentions and actions to the GM, who then decides how their actions affect the plot."

I'll go back to lurking now.

Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

#38 chojun

chojun

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:39 AM

I think the dice are brilliant.  yeah, there is a lot to look at.  but they seem to provide more of a story than just numerical dice.  i think that we can safely say that this is a true RPG that's focus is roleplaying.  I have played the new D&D and my major gripe about it is that everybody has a power and that I can't picture what is going on.  If somebody does " cat strike", or "memory hole", or "eye of doom." I can't picture whats going on.  its just a roll of the dice, a hit or a miss, and a roll of damage, maybe some one moves here and there.  It seems like this symbol dice system invites the oppurtunity to describe things.  the oppurtunity to say, okay what just happened?  why did I fail?  why did I succeed?  It brings a whole new dimension to things.

I'm old school.  I remember when you rolled up a magic user with a 12 intelligence, 2 hit points, a dagger, and one magic missile spell.  We  played the game.  we developed the character. we roleplayed.  If we were lucky enough to make it to 3rd level we felt like gods. 

Anyway, I can't wait to break it open and play. 

I

#39 lordmalachdrim

lordmalachdrim

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:03 AM

Just finished watching the videos and all I can say is I saw a lot of things to limit the use of the imagination and things to complicate the rules more.

Specialty dice. Oh look, what do those dice mean with that symbol in this situation?

Cards. As you buy expansions you can just shuffle the new cards into the deck (so we're adding more conditions and such with each expansion? Rules Bloat much?)

Career Cards (they match up with your character sheet so you lay everything out infront of you, and you have these talent cards that you place here and here when your using them. How much table space do I need for this?)

Group Character Sheet. So now my troll slayer and his elf can't just decided to finish it when we want, we have to wait for an 'event' to trigger?

I'm less interested now then I was.

#40 Dreary_Angel

Dreary_Angel

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:06 AM

lordmalachdrim said:

Group Character Sheet. So now my troll slayer and his elf can't just decided to finish it when we want, we have to wait for an 'event' to trigger?

I'm less interested now then I was.

Not to be annoying, but the tension meter usage can be easly avoided by the GM if he does not like it... imho

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS