Suggestion for Deathwatch Collectors Edition

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 Nullius

Nullius

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:35 PM

For what little its might add to the discussion regarding the autonomy of the Deathwatch, I read some random bit of fluff today from the old Inquisitor line. It said that deathwatch teams were mostly under the command of Ordo Xeno's inquisitors, but in some circumstances, an individual squad or war-band would be permanently put under the command of a marine with the rank of captain or higher. This was the origin of the Brother Captain Stern model, who stood in as an Inquisitor and leader of his own warband/band of acolytes. It also talks about him ordering an exterminatus by cyclonic torpedo bombardment. If he's not an Inquisitor, then it is by name only.

I don'tt usually cite fluff as precedent for a certain interpretation of the setting, but I thought this little nugget might Illuminate the above discussion. For what its worth, I don't think Marines should be Inquisitors, as they have enough on their plate already and they are furthermore not entirely trusted by the Inquisition (or entirely human, for that matter). But if one wanted a Deathwatch Inquisitor to be a Brother Captain, it would seem there is some precedent.

I think a metallic-looking null-box with a lock and key would make for a very attractive CE. It would be heavily built and with rivets along the seams. It would also have the deathwatch symbol stamped on the front. The leather rule-book within should be textured like stitched-together xeno-hides.

#42 Varnias Tybalt

Varnias Tybalt

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:32 AM

Nullius said:

I think a metallic-looking null-box with a lock and key would make for a very attractive CE. It would be heavily built and with rivets along the seams. It would also have the deathwatch symbol stamped on the front. The leather rule-book within should be textured like stitched-together xeno-hides.

I like the sound of that. However instead of having a "metallic-looking" box, why not have this thick tome of stitched xenos leather, we could have REAL metallic chains wrapped around the book with an ornate looking working padlock and key for it. Of course decorated with purity seals and other such paraphernalia.

I seem to recall a few models from WH40K that lug's around books wrapped up in chains and locks. Would look kinda cool for for the real thing.

#43 DocIII

DocIII

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:58 AM

Maxim C. Gatling said:

Psion said:

Maxim C. Gatling said:

I really don't see Deathwatch as a stand-alone (role playing) game.  It would just be a series of kill-team missions using other-than-40k rules.  As an addition to DH, it's a fine idea.

I am also not quite convinced Deathwatch will have the same broad level of role-playing options the other two games have.  Granted there will be something for scholars and AdMech players (probably as Librians and Tech-Marines) to do inbetween battles but it would still be missing the social, investigative, and inflitration aspects of Dark Heresy.  Not saying fighting isn't fun; but if you make a campaign (or game for that matter) too combat-focused it can end up feeling a little flat.

Again, there is the possiblity FFG can prove me wrong but I will not be really satisfied until I hear the offical word.

What would convince me that Deathwatch would make a good Stand-Alone would be a good fluff novel. However, there have been many good fluff novels involving Astartes but none of them looked like RPG material.

But it doesn't make sense, really.  Deathwatch is run by the Inquisition.  And Ordo Xenos at that.  They're not an organization unto themselves.  Grey Knights at least are their own Chapter, but take marching orders from Ordo Malleus.  (Deathwatch is made of Marines from all different Chapters, which is really cool if you like to paint miniatures).

What I think would be great (and it'd still be a big, thick book which they could Collector's Edition) is Deathwatch AND Grey Knight rules as a Dark Heresy add-on.  And post-Ascension, so that the other DH characters aren't rag-dolls in comparison to the Astartes.

If anyone disagrees, then explain how DW would make a good stand-alone RPG. Don't bag me for being a nay-sayer,  I'm just not seeing it.

It all depends I guess on how you feel about military themed RPGs.  I have over the years played in several excellent and role-play heavy war/military themed games.  Three that spring to mind were a long running Recon (palladium's vietnam/cold war mercenaries RPG) game; a cyberpunk chrome berets/special-ops-team game; and a GURPS scifi game in which the characters started as penal troopers in a glactic war.

All were both combat and RP heavy, and more sophisticated than one would expect (especially the Recon game where things got really strange operating in enemy territory with odd and sometimes contradictory orders coming down the chain, heavy RP regarding morally questionable orders and actions).

I feel Deathwatch has all the potential for a sucessful stand alone RPG as any military-scifi game.  I guess it all comes down to taste and style.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS