1 player??

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#41 mageith

mageith

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:16 AM

Kobu: Next, I'm thinking of taking Daisy alone in a campaign mode.

Mageith: If anyone can seal off a GOO by herself, its Daisy with the right spells.

Kobu: I may also leave on all the boards and elimate every other mythos phase or something.

Mageith: Wouldn't that be like playing with 2 investigators both named Daisy?   Actually, I do that a lot, but use a die roll.  We skip the phase if  high (4-6) is thrown.  I think the randomness more fits the game and spirit of the game.

#42 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:43 PM

mageith said:

Kobu: Next, I'm thinking of taking Daisy alone in a campaign mode.

Mageith: If anyone can seal off a GOO by herself, its Daisy with the right spells.

Kobu: I may also leave on all the boards and elimate every other mythos phase or something.

Mageith: Wouldn't that be like playing with 2 investigators both named Daisy?   Actually, I do that a lot, but use a die roll.  We skip the phase if  high (4-6) is thrown.  I think the randomness more fits the game and spirit of the game.

More like one and a half...  She still can't move around the board fast enough (to Dunwich and Kingsport).  I think it's a good idea though.  I haven't played a one player game for such a long time (with the intent to seal as opposed to final battle) due to the increased difficulty...  Skipping every other mythos phase would definitely make it more doable...  And moodier ;') eeee.

#43 Kobu

Kobu

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 05:08 AM

Well, I just defeated Cthulhu on the first turn using Daisy. She mixes a little too well with Call Ancient One. I'll try again without it in the deck and maybe use Dexter this time.

#44 Kobu

Kobu

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:38 AM

I tried two solo games with Dexter Drake and all expansions. The way I did it was to give multiple movement and encounter phases in a row by skipping mythos and upkeep.

The first game I tried two movement/encounter phases. As gates continued to pop one after the other and I struggled to get up to Dunwich to stop a flow of monsters, it became apparent that the pace was still too great to let Dexter explore at all. It was still going to come down to grabbing clues, shopping, and hoping for some good rolls against the GOO.

The second game I did three movement/encounter phases. This seemed to be a much better pace. Managing spells not refreshing as I plotted my moves was a fun exercise. Dexter's ability really shone for the first time in any game I've seen him in. He had three encounters that had him draw spells and I managed to get a Storm of Spirits pretty early. I stuck his Fight down so he could pass horror checks and saved Shrivelling plus an Enchanted Blade for backup.

Everything in the game basically went my way. Nearly every encounter was gentle and I earned about half my clue tokens from them. With the three movements/encounters, I was just able to keep Dunwich and Kingsport in check. I got lucky on the rifts with a few bouncing on the filled spots. I ended up Changed for the first time in any game (the main board kind of exploded while I did this though) and I just laid down the Great Seal on the cemetery when Yig woke up. His Epic Battle card basically failed him and he got dead in I think five rounds.

I will try again with a random investigator, GOO, and herald.

#45 mageith

mageith

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:29 AM

Kobu said:

I tried two solo games with Dexter Drake and all expansions. The way I did it was to give multiple movement and encounter phases in a row by skipping mythos and upkeep.

Mageith: You skipped Upkeep too?  Was that ever inconvenient?

Kobu said: His Epic Battle card basically failed him and he got dead in I think five rounds.

Mageith: How close to sealing were you?  Would skipping 3 phases (like a four player game), bring you closer?

#46 Kobu

Kobu

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:32 AM

mageith said:

Mageith: You skipped Upkeep too?  Was that ever inconvenient?

Kobu said: His Epic Battle card basically failed him and he got dead in I think five rounds.

Mageith: How close to sealing were you?  Would skipping 3 phases (like a four player game), bring you closer?

Skipping upkeep made me think a little more about how to best deploy items that exhaust. Worse was probably not being able to touch focus before I got Storm of Souls. It hurt sometimes, but it was also a fun constraint.

At one point, I had 4 seals on the board. I took one off for a Dunwich encounter, but also lost time due to random doom increasing things--one mythos card, and an encounter (I think?). I maybe could have pulled it off if I sealed in a different order.

Doing every 4th mythos definitely would have made it closer, but I think it would have been way too easy. I'm going to try with same criteria before changing variables again.

#47 mageith

mageith

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:48 AM

Kobu said:

Doing every 4th mythos definitely would have made it closer, but I think it would have been way too easy. I'm going to try with same criteria before changing variables again.

There are ways to make it harder/fairer. I've done it but I've made it like all aspects as if there are four players (every 4th Mythos). For example, Like 4 players, there can be up to 7 monsters on the Arkham board.  Also, like for 4 players, there can only be 4 monsters in the Outskirts.  We treat rumors like there's four players, but you'll have four turns to solve them.  Also there can be only 6 open gates, 7 is too many like for 4 players.  It's like having a four investigator party but all all with the characteristics of Dexter.

But we always try to seal or close.  We count final battle as a draw.

#48 Kobu

Kobu

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:17 AM

mageith said:

There are ways to make it harder/fairer. I've done it but I've made it like all aspects as if there are four players (every 4th Mythos). For example, Like 4 players, there can be up to 7 monsters on the Arkham board.  Also, like for 4 players, there can only be 4 monsters in the Outskirts.  We treat rumors like there's four players, but you'll have four turns to solve them.  Also there can be only 6 open gates, 7 is too many like for 4 players.  It's like having a four investigator party but all all with the characteristics of Dexter.

But we always try to seal or close.  We count final battle as a draw.

Ah, I see what you meant now. Sorry, yes, I set it to 2 players (-1 for second big expansion), so 5 monsters in Arkham, etc.. I didn't get a single rumor though to see how hard that would be to pass. If I find it too easy again, that is one thing I can tweak.

#49 Drewcula

Drewcula

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:32 AM

I too, have purchased 'Arkham Horror' based on its one player option.  In fact, I ordered it yesterday...  While solo play was not the primary reason, it did rank high.  As I patiently wait for its delivery, how long can I anticipate one game w/ one player lasting? 

#50 Esslercuffi

Esslercuffi

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:03 PM

Drewcula said:

I too, have purchased 'Arkham Horror' based on its one player option.  In fact, I ordered it yesterday...  While solo play was not the primary reason, it did rank high.  As I patiently wait for its delivery, how long can I anticipate one game w/ one player lasting? 

Your first few games solo will probably take quite a while since you'll be referencing the rules a lot and figuring out how everything works.  My first few games actually took around 6 - 8 hours.  Although this includes time off for eating and other stuff.  Hence I recommend setting it up in a space you won't have to clear out of for other things for a while.

#51 MrsGamura

MrsGamura

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:44 PM

Why is this topic pinned? I play one human but prefer more than one human...I always loss arguement vs. myself.

#52 JimmieD

JimmieD

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:44 AM

Nurgle said:

playing a game alone against a board sounds sad.....one is the lonliest number.....

yes, but two can be as bad as one, it's the lonliest number since the number one.

#53 Count Crapula

Count Crapula

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:49 AM

I like solitarie AH. I don't play 1-investigator, and rarely 2-investigators, simply because it makes it too frantic. I usually play 3 or 4, because it allows more exploration. I keep the game on the table and just take a turn or two at a time here and there during the week. As was stated earlier, a solo AH game is a little like reading a book. The game drips with theme and is full of twists and turns. It is like a tactile, three-dimensional PC game. This is one of very few games that plays as well solitaire as with a group, minus the interaction. But  then, I talk to myself... a lot.

#54 mechangel

mechangel

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:02 AM

JimmieD said:

Nurgle said:

playing a game alone against a board sounds sad.....one is the lonliest number.....

yes, but two can be as bad as one, it's the lonliest number since the number one.

LOL !

I have played 1 player out of sheer impatience to get group together.  I grew up an only child of a busy single parent, and I played many, many board games that are 2+  player only, actually playing Left Hand vs. Right Hand.  By 5 years of age, my mom bought me an NES, and that was great, but I still enjoyed my solo sessions with Uncle Wiggly or whatever.  So playing Arkham by myself as an adult is much more gratifying than trying to pretend I am really two people. (have you ever played MTG by yourself? its so hard!)

#55 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:10 AM

mechangel said:

JimmieD said:

Nurgle said:

LOL !

I have played 1 player out of sheer impatience to get group together.  I grew up an only child of a busy single parent, and I played many, many board games that are 2+  player only, actually playing Left Hand vs. Right Hand.  By 5 years of age, my mom bought me an NES, and that was great, but I still enjoyed my solo sessions with Uncle Wiggly or whatever.  So playing Arkham by myself as an adult is much more gratifying than trying to pretend I am really two people. (have you ever played MTG by yourself? its so hard!)

Actually ::cough cough:: I have...  What I would do is pretend that both players would play with optimal strategy (as opposed to making decisions based on what was in the other's hand).  Arkaham Horror solitaire is considerably more satisfying :'D

#56 Valentha

Valentha

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:51 AM

I was researching games to get to play at our gaming club and found excellent reviews on AH and after scouring Melbourne for a copy (To No Avail) all the gaming stores had no copies I had wait 2 weeks for stock to come in.

When I finally received it in the post, I looked at the box and found it odd when it said that it was for players 1+.  This really intrigued me as I love playing games Solo (As for years did not have anyone to play them with, while they were fun they just lacked the interaction)

I have played AH about 8 times already (Once with a friend) and I absolutely loved it.

I play with 3 investigators and have beaten the game only once against Hastur and am at the moment have it setup for my 9th game where I think its already going to end badly with only 1hr of play.

I am itching to get the expansions as this is the best game I have ever played and I would love to see more games out there that gives you the 1 player option.

#57 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:15 AM

Valentha said:

I was researching games to get to play at our gaming club and found excellent reviews on AH and after scouring Melbourne for a copy (To No Avail) all the gaming stores had no copies I had wait 2 weeks for stock to come in.

When I finally received it in the post, I looked at the box and found it odd when it said that it was for players 1+.  This really intrigued me as I love playing games Solo (As for years did not have anyone to play them with, while they were fun they just lacked the interaction)

I have played AH about 8 times already (Once with a friend) and I absolutely loved it.

I play with 3 investigators and have beaten the game only once against Hastur and am at the moment have it setup for my 9th game where I think its already going to end badly with only 1hr of play.

I am itching to get the expansions as this is the best game I have ever played and I would love to see more games out there that gives you the 1 player option.

Heh...  It's a great game isn't it? :')

I'd recommend you hold off on buying the expansions until you start mastering the base game (you'll know when that is— when you're winning 60-90% of the time).

And of course :') you should also be able to do that with two investigators as opposed to three.

#58 Valentha

Valentha

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:49 PM

Avi_dreader said:

Valentha said:

I'd recommend you hold off on buying the expansions until you start mastering the base game (you'll know when that is— when you're winning 60-90% of the time).

And of course :') you should also be able to do that with two investigators as opposed to three.

Funnily enough I just finished my latest game and won with the 3 investigators.  I was committed to closing gates and managed to seal 1 but too many gates opened up and filled up Ithaqua's doom track and he awoke.

The investigators I had were:

The Gangster (High Fight Skill and Tommy Gun came in handy)

The Salesman (Seemed to decimate the monster encounters on the board, but rolled pretty badly with the Final Battle)

The Photographer (With Shotgun was able to get successes easier and bring down the GOO alot quicker)

With the high fight skills and the investigators having high stamina levels managed to last it out and finally defeated Ithaqua in the end with losing just the Salesman.  But it was a great game and the quickest I've played.

In any case I'm going to get the first of the card expansions: Curse of the Dark Pharaoh and then perhaps with a bit more money Dunwich Horror.

#59 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:08 PM

Valentha said:

Avi_dreader said:

Valentha said:

Funnily enough I just finished my latest game and won with the 3 investigators.  I was committed to closing gates and managed to seal 1 but too many gates opened up and filled up Ithaqua's doom track and he awoke.

The investigators I had were:

The Gangster (High Fight Skill and Tommy Gun came in handy)

The Salesman (Seemed to decimate the monster encounters on the board, but rolled pretty badly with the Final Battle)

The Photographer (With Shotgun was able to get successes easier and bring down the GOO alot quicker)

With the high fight skills and the investigators having high stamina levels managed to last it out and finally defeated Ithaqua in the end with losing just the Salesman.  But it was a great game and the quickest I've played.

In any case I'm going to get the first of the card expansions: Curse of the Dark Pharaoh and then perhaps with a bit more money Dunwich Horror.

If money's an issue, I'd probably just get the big box expansions.

#60 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,587 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:01 AM

Agreed. The big boxes definitely offer more bang for your buck.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS