• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#21 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:02 PM

balsak40 said:

Biggest plus for me is that I learned the rules by playing solo and didn't have to discourage other players while trying to teach them. 
That's definitely a big advantage. After playing three solo games I had memorized 95% of the rules and was ready to teach the game to others.

This results in a much better chance that other players will enjoy the game. I've heard of several people who were frustrated by their first game experience and gave up on it, because they didn't think of doing this.

#22 CptWasp

CptWasp

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:08 AM

Lars said:

I was interested in picking this game up for a while and i was borwsing a store the other day and i noticed (at least i think i noticed, i.e. i wasn;t drunk at the time) that it is playable by 1 player.

Can anyone shed some light on how this works, and if it is enjoyable via one player (it might make me buy the game instead of thikning about it). Thaks in advance.

I play it only solo and it's my favorite solitaire game!

If you want you can check my house rules on boardgamegeek file section.

#23 Grixnair

Grixnair

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:45 PM

I've only played solo once, I used Arkham, Dunwich and Pharoh and only one investigator.  While I did miss the interaction of the other players, I found the intensity of the game  to be heightened.

I got lucky with some spell and item cards, getting the Find Gate spell was a particularly lucky pull.

I recommend playing Arkham with more players, I find 4 people to be ideal, but I have played it with 8 as well.

#24 szmendryk

szmendryk

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 08:47 AM

Lars said:

I was interested in picking this game up for a while and i was borwsing a store the other day and i noticed (at least i think i noticed, i.e. i wasn;t drunk at the time) that it is playable by 1 player.

Well I was drunk while buying the game and also saw that it can be played by 1 person. It came out good. You can win the game by yourself but it's more fun to play with your friends.

#25 AMBusam

AMBusam

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:28 AM

I enjoy playing it solo. A couple of recommendations though:

1. If you are playing only 1 character, select them and the Great Old One youself instead of randomly. I once had a game vs Cthulhu with Monteray Jack. Max stats of 2 are never good.

2. Only add expansions if you are playing multiple investigators. Unless you just want to have a frantic run looking for equipment before the GOO wakes up. Otherwise you just can't get around fast enough to do anything meaningful on the other boards.

#26 Havok

Havok

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:03 PM

I bought this game for two reasons:

1- I enjoy everything from Lovecraft, and finding a board game was amazing. Besides, I did not know what a "collaborative" game was.

2- I can be played solo.

Yes, it is always fun to play with your friends and everything that comes with that, but when you really like a game and you don't find friends or time for that, a solo game is excellent.

You can focus on the story, every little text that gives "flavor" to the board game, and even try different strategies everytime.

You should try

#27 Lars

Lars

• Members
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:58 AM

balsak40 said:

Actually I wished more were 1 player games.  Biggest plus for me is that I learned the rules by playing solo and didn't have to discourage other players while trying to teach them.  The rules a very cumbersome just to start out and after going solo for a bit I made sure I was able to answer any questions knowingly instead of stating "Hold on, let me look at the directions.... *Flip, Flip, Flip*.".  Sad?  Maybe but I like it!

yeah i always do this with games when i first get them to understand the rules (it sucks doing it for CCGs as you are formulating your strategy knowing what the other person has). I am glad that there is a fun way to not only do this, but enjoy the game when i want to play but don;t have friends over.

AMBusam said:

I enjoy playing it solo. A couple of recommendations though:

1. If you are playing only 1 character, select them and the Great Old One youself instead of randomly. I once had a game vs Cthulhu with Monteray Jack. Max stats of 2 are never good.

2. Only add expansions if you are playing multiple investigators. Unless you just want to have a frantic run looking for equipment before the GOO wakes up. Otherwise you just can't get around fast enough to do anything meaningful on the other boards. 

thanks for this (and to everyone else who offered suggestions), i will definatly keep the recomendations in mind when i crack this bad boy open.

#28 PearlJamaholic

PearlJamaholic

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 06:07 PM

finally gave the game a go solo and it though i lost it was still fun. i tried it again the other day solo and i must say the game still keeps alot of what makes the game great even when playing by yourself. i lost both times but i only used 2 characters. if it wasnt for football tonight i probably would have played my 3rd solo game. next time ill try 3 characters maybe.

#29 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:25 AM

PearlJamaholic said:

finally gave the game a go solo and it though i lost it was still fun. i tried it again the other day solo and i must say the game still keeps alot of what makes the game great even when playing by yourself. i lost both times but i only used 2 characters. if it wasnt for football tonight i probably would have played my 3rd solo game. next time ill try 3 characters maybe.

I'd recommend more.  Our first game was a 2-player and we each used 1 investigator.  The very next game, we decided as a 2-player we needed 2 investigators each.  We loved it even more and found it wasn't any challenge to run 2 (though we kept the first player marker busy so we could track the turns).

When I attempted my frist solo, I thought 3 investigators would be a challenge.  Halfway through the game, I realized it was a breeze (keep track not winning!) so I have been playing 4 solo ever since.

#30 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:48 AM

Why do you think it's harder with four players than three players, colt?

#31 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:49 PM

Avi_dreader said:

I think you misread that: Playing three investigators was a breeze, so he decided playing four investigators at the same time should be doable as well

It wasn't a statement about the difficulty of winning the game.

#32 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:31 AM

Ahh, I see.  I was very puzzled.

#33 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:19 AM

Avi_dreader said:

Ahh, I see.  I was very puzzled.

Just goes to show that getting all those corruption cards has it's disadvantages as well  .

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#34 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:53 PM

jhaelen said:

Avi_dreader said:

I think you misread that: Playing three investigators was a breeze, so he decided playing four investigators at the same time should be doable as well

It wasn't a statement about the difficulty of winning the game.

Yes, that was my what I meant.  I had played 2 investigators and feared I would have to work up to 4.  But after realizing how easy it was to MANAGE 3 investigators, went up to 4 and never looked back!

A lot of people fear running mulitple investigaotrs as they think it will be confusing or too much admin work.  But I found it helped solidify my understanding of the rules.

#35 Paladyn

Paladyn

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:31 AM

Just finished one investigator game. I played Kate Whintorp, Ancien One was Shub-Niggurath and played with basic game only (personally I own only that). It was tough, most of time I evaded monsters (I was able to have Sneak 4, due to motocykle, which granted me +2 to speed). I got lucky in thre points: I got find the gate spell, several times gates opened in sealed locations or locations with open gate and I got two copies of "King in Yllow", which granted me 8 clue tokens. To my surprise, I won. It was very lovecraftian game, as my character was left with one sanity ponts most of the time. (Everytime I regained it, I was travelling through gate, cast spell, lost point and returned to Arkham). Anyways, I was blown away with that variant.

I think that AH as Christmas gift was very cool idea. :)

#36 scottwoods

scottwoods

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:51 PM

I have played it solo almost exclusively, and bought it for that purpose.

It is, of course, still great fun, though it's a different kind of burn.  I feel more like I'm playing speed chess when I play solo.  You make up in efficiency what you lose in interaction.

#37 Hejin57

Hejin57

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:22 PM

I actually attempted to play the game using only 1 invesitgator.  I lost.

Miserably, of course.

#38 AndrewClarke

AndrewClarke

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:58 AM

I played the game once with five players, purchased my own copy and settled down to a 1-player, 1-investigator game.

I won. I faced Shub-Niggurath, and the "terrible experiment" came out, allowing me to acquire a huge number of monster trophies, so she really didn't stand a chance in the final battle.

True, I only sealed two gates, and really stood no chance of winning that way, and I was quite lucky in several places: I played Dr Fern (psychologist), and drew a healing stone, echanted blade and tommy gun.

The game is eminently possible with one investigator, I imagine Nyarlathotep is pretty easy too (can't be that hard just to collect clue tokens). I'd rate Cthulhu, Azathot and Yog-Sothoth as pretty impossible, though. 

I then played a game with two investigators versus Cthulhu. I won again, this time by sealing six gates. I wouldn't have stood a chance if he'd actually woken up. It was mostly fairly easy, though I did get pretty worried towards the middle when "Good Work Undone" came out, and Prof Harvey was about to go to pay it off when he was sucked through an opening gate, and had an other-world encounter which promptly caused him to be lost in time and space. 

I'd repeat what others have said, and agree that it's the best solitaire game I've ever played. (Admittedly this isn't saying a whole lot, as very few games can be played solitaire at all, and for many of those that claim they can, the rules don't actually work)

#39 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:01 AM

The game shifts with the number of players.  With more players the Arkham portion of the game is easier while the Final Battle becomes nearly impossible.  With less players, the Arkham portion is much more difficult (too much to keep track of) while the Final Battle becomes much easier.  Having a single investigator means every success rolled translates into a direct hit.  And luck rolls with lots of successes takes the GOO down considerably.

Having said all that, I haven't actually tried 1 investigator as I play multiple investigators even when playing solo. 

#40 Kobu

Kobu

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:12 AM

I just got done with a solo 5 investigator game with all expansions. It was incredibly hectic with investigators getting lost in time and space or being delayed constantly. I barely squeaked by in the final battle. Fist of Yog-Sothoth actually won the day by giving me nine successes in one turn.

I think controlling 5 was a bit much for me though. Next, I'm thinking of taking Daisy alone in a campaign mode. I may also leave on all the boards and elimate every other mythos phase or something. I have won a few times with a single investigator, but that was with no expansions. With the expansions, it may as well just be a shopping trip if you ever want a chance to win.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS