• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 MagnusSeter

MagnusSeter

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:15 AM

Foolishboy said:

I was hoping for some fans to get go at GenCon and write some reviews based on actually playing the game.

That would have been preferrable. I think it was announced at GenCon because GenCon rolled in, not because it is ready for public consumption. Still, I hope for more info, and am willing to wait until FFG gets back from GenCon.

But compared to the WH40kRP line, they sure are letting us WFRP:ers hang.

/M

#22 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:12 PM

Foolishboy said:

• Graham McNeill: Games Workshop writer/designer. A man who works for the owner of the Warhammer brand.

That's actually incorrect. Graham McNeill was a member of GW's design team (initially a staff writer, then a games developer), but left GW and moved on to writing novels and short stories for Black Library on a full-time freelance basis in 2006.

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer and Ark of Lost Souls

#23 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:06 PM

Kriegtanzer said:

Yeah running Demos of a game to get word of mouth advertising and positive reviews going is such a stupid idea.  Especially at one of the biggest Gaming Conventions in the World.  The last thing a company wants is you going out and telling others that they have a good game.  Heck people might even buy the game! 

A better idea is to lie to you customers about a game you are not really making then introduce a completely new different game to replace a successful one with an established fan base, which you give a corporate buzz word announcement of and keep back any real information.  Then have to explain that it is not what the announcement makes it look like but still give no real information.  Oh yeah it cost $100 and is not complete, if you have more than 4 people in your group or want the the other 10 careers (out of 50) you have to buy addons right away.  How much will this addon cost and do we need an addon for each player or will one addon support multiple players, that must not be infor we need.  Yep, Much better way to market a game.

Man I was totally being sarcastic you took that way to seriously. Th ePart about "no pictures" is true and also the people paying and not sharing to non payers is true also. Take for instance this new Pathfinder, it still isnt up on demonoid or other famous torrent sites, even tho its sold as a 10 buck pdf file on paizos site. Fans will stay loyal unless they are in it for the fame. That was all I was implying. 

#24 Kriegtanzer

Kriegtanzer

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:17 PM

I wasn't sure about your comments, whether you were serious or not, never been to the Con you mentioned but it kicked off my sarcastic streak.  It really may be a great game but they seem to do all they can to make the fans wonder what the heck it is going to be.   

I joked on one of the threads that all they have told us is that it is "new and shiny."  Then I watch the Gen Con videos and the CEO of FFG called it "new" and "shiny"...and controversial.  Thanks for clearing things up.  Jay Little tells us it is not a board game, it has dice and cards and character sheets and career cards but there is NO board and NO map, and no pencils....  Glad I already have maps of the Old World then...and a pencil.  

(And no I wouldn't expect it to come with pencils, but Jay mentioned it at least twice so if must have been important, it was more time than he spent on explaining how all these wonderful do dads we have to buy are going to work to make it a better role playing experience.)

#25 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

• Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:17 PM

If it doesn't come with pencils, it's not a complete game!

For $100 it should come with 4 pencils!

No pencils? What have they done to my RPG?!

Pencils? I thought everything would be on cards!

Somebody help me out here. I'm running out of good ones.

Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

#26 Foolishboy

Foolishboy

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:30 PM

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Foolishboy said:

• Graham McNeill: Games Workshop writer/designer. A man who works for the owner of the Warhammer brand.

That's actually incorrect. Graham McNeill was a member of GW's design team (initially a staff writer, then a games developer), but left GW and moved on to writing novels and short stories for Black Library on a full-time freelance basis in 2006.

Thanks for the correction, however I do not believe it changes the relevant point, namely that Graham McNeill will not knock a Warhammer product.

#27 cegorach

cegorach

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:37 PM

Just to repeat what Skinny Dragon said, please read carefully (bold and italics to help).

GreyLord said:

. It felt like a strange hybrid of board game and roleplaying game at first, but once the notions of the new mechanics took hold, it felt very natural.

He's saying that when he opened the box and saw the contents, he had the same response many other people have had a first glance.

but

Then he played it and discovered this was not the case.

I don't see why people find this hard to grasp.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS