Photo

second and third edition characters you'd like too see in the fourth edition?!

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#81 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

In agreement with you, because sine Tolkien invented these creatures, races, etc, well…

that means his heirs or someone, own the rights to their use.  FFG would have to pay some big money to add them to Talisman.  Since it seems that FFG already does "authorized" games featuring Tolkien concepts, stories, etc,

I would think this is not going to happen.  I could be wrong.

#82 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

Oh, and 'usage' rights can go back and forth. 25 years ago, previous edition(s) of Talisman may have had the right to use them per licensing, etc.

#83 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:38 PM

If the Barbarian, Halfling or Ranger does not show up in talisman, then we can always make them homebrew:)

#84 Froman

Froman

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:52 AM

I'm pretty sure that halfling does not have any rights associated with it, hobbit on the other hand does.

#85 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:31 AM

Froman said:

I'm pretty sure that halfling does not have any rights associated with it, hobbit on the other hand does.

That would be disappointing because that name is used in both 2th and 3th edition.

But a hobbit is also good for me..

#86 Halfling

Halfling

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

Froman said:

Thats right which is also why DnD used the term 'treant' instead of Ents.

#87 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

Never understood the name treant. Like they where ants made of wood…

#88 JemyM

JemyM

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

The Spy is now available in City.

I believe it's reasonable to expect the following concepts appear eventually, many of them are likely to be in a "Woods" expansion;
Barbarian, Centaur, Dark Elf, Halfling, Inquisitor, Pilgrim, Pirate, Ranger, Satyr, Scout, Soldier, Swordsman and Woodsman

… but I doubt we will see characters from non-european cultures;
Martial Artist (although it exist as a Varthrax card), Ninja, Samurai, Saracen, Zulu and Witch Doctor
… but if the Witch Doctor appear it will probably have a different special ability than it does right now.

I also doubt we will see characters from the Warhammer setting;
Beastman, Chaos Dwarf, Chaos Sorcerer, Goblin Fanatic, Skaven, Witch Elf
… if they appear we should probably expect them to have a different name.

I also doubt we will see characters from the timescape setting;
Archeaologist, Astronaut, Chainsaw Warrior, Cyborg, Scientist, Space Marine, Space Pirate
… but they might appear in Relic.

The following characters are based on recruiting monsters not in 4th edition;
Hogoblin (exist as adventure card), Orc/Black Orc, Skaven
… although the Hobgoblin is actually a quite fun concept if you got the Dungeon.

There are no shooters in 4th edition;
Centaur

Finally the lost files are probably lost;
Pit Fighter, Seer, Wraith

#89 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

I am just updating the list which characters we don't have yet for 4th revised edition.

• Barbarian,
  • Centaur,
  • Dark Elf/ Witch Elf
  • Halfling
  • Inquisitor
  • Martial Artist
  • Ninja
  • Pilgrim
  • Pirate
  • Pit fighter (lost file
  • Ranger
  • Samurai
  • Saracen
  • Satyr
  • Scout
  • Soldier
  • Swordsman
  • Witchdoctor
  • Woodsman
  • Wraith (lost file)
  • Zulu

Now that the City Expansion has been released, we only get the Spy back as a retro character in our games :)

#90 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

Velhart said:

I am just updating the list which characters we don't have yet for 4th revised edition.

• Barbarian,
  • Centaur,
  • Dark Elf/ Witch Elf
  • Halfling
  • Inquisitor
  • Martial Artist
  • Ninja
  • Pilgrim
  • Pirate
  • Pit fighter (lost file
  • Ranger
  • Samurai
  • Saracen
  • Satyr
  • Scout
  • Soldier
  • Swordsman
  • Witchdoctor
  • Woodsman
  • Wraith (lost file)
  • Zulu

Now that the City Expansion has been released, we only get the Spy back as a retro character in our games :)

If the next big box is going to be the Forest or something in the wilderness, I really expect a re-issue of Halfling, Ranger, Scout, Woodsman, Centaur and Witchdoctor (better to call him Shaman in this edition). Scout and Ranger should be mingled into one character, IMO. Zulu might be re-designed as a Wild Elf or as a Tribe Chieftain.

For a mini-box in between the two, I'd like to see remakes of the Barbarian and Saracen (possibly as a Slaver). A good idea for that expansion might be a Conan-inspired setting, where a Pirate character may fit in as well (more akin to Amra the Lion than to Long John Silver). An expansion that's full of anti-magic cards to rebalance the overwhelming power of Spells. If they introduce a meaningful rule for Dark and Light Fate, it will find room in the small box.

#91 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

The_Warlock said:

If the next big box is going to be the Forest or something in the wilderness, I really expect a re-issue of Halfling, Ranger, Scout, Woodsman, Centaur and Witchdoctor (better to call him Shaman in this edition). Scout and Ranger should be mingled into one character, IMO. Zulu might be re-designed as a Wild Elf or as a Tribe Chieftain.

Hello Warlock,

That´s a very good idea to mix the Ranger abilities with the Scout character. Unless FFG can create something interesting for both characters.

I also like to see the Satyr back :)

The_Warlock said:

For a mini-box in between the two, I'd like to see remakes of the Barbarian and Saracen (possibly as a Slaver). A good idea for that expansion might be a Conan-inspired setting, where a Pirate character may fit in as well (more akin to Amra the Lion than to Long John Silver). An expansion that's full of anti-magic cards to rebalance the overwhelming power of Spells. If they introduce a meaningful rule for Dark and Light Fate, it will find room in the small box.

A Barbarian character for a small expansion is a nice idea.

I like to see a alternative ending that includes the Wizard from the story of the mainbook :)

#92 JemyM

JemyM

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

The_Warlock said:

Witchdoctor (better to call him Shaman in this edition).

Here I am going to disagree on two grounds. A character remake consists of two possible components;

1. Abilities
2. Thematic

When it comes to the Witchdoctors ability I say no.

* You have the power of the Evil Eye. When you encounter another character you can choose to throw a curse at them rather than fight them (you cannot do both). If you choose to curse them they must proceed directly to the Chapel, by normal movement, before they continue their quest. Evil characters you curse must choose to curse must proceed directly to the Ruins to remove it. You evade the cursed character.

I do not believe that is an ability that is balanced or thought through. I wouldn't mind to have a thematic "Evil Eye" ability, but in that case it needs to be changed.

When it comes to the theme my feelings are mixed. Thematically the African Witch Doctor concept were used sucessfully in Diablo and it's not as specific to a subculture as the Zulu. Note that a Shaman and a Witch Doctor blend together two very different comcepts. A Witch Doctor is a medicine man (they really are the doctors of that time) who use witchcraft primarily to heal. Shamanism is about altering the mindstate to communicate with spirits. They can blend into one but not neccessary. In the prechristian European cultures it was more common with Medicine Women than Medicine Men (it was these skilled women who became hunted down as witches). European monks took over many of their wisdoms and thus medicine became a monk-thing. I would actually not mind to have a female Medicine Woman concept who gains from healing other players.

The_Warlock said:

Zulu might be re-designed as a Wild Elf or as a Tribe Chieftain.

I am on the opinion that thematically, the Zulu is a no-no and while the special ability isn't as terrible as the Witch Doctor it doesn't make much sense.

#93 Archdruid

Archdruid

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:42 AM

Just to clarify points raised earlier about Tolkien's inventions.  The words 'hobbit' and 'ent' are Tolkien's.  The words halfling and orc already existed in English.  Halfling is self-explanatory.  The word orc is a very rare variant of the word ogre.  The only use I know of before the modern fantasy era, is in translations of Ariosto's medieval epic poem, 'Orlando Furioso'.  The poem includes two encounters with giant humanoid monsters referred to as orcs.

:)

#94 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

JemyM said:

The_Warlock said:

Witchdoctor (better to call him Shaman in this edition).

Here I am going to disagree on two grounds. A character remake consists of two possible components;

1. Abilities
2. Thematic

In this case I was only quoting names. I don't like both the Witch Doctor's abilities and his thematic, while I'd rather have the Shaman as you described. A Medicine Man or Woman may also fill out the list.

JemyM said:

The_Warlock said:

Zulu might be re-designed as a Wild Elf or as a Tribe Chieftain.

I am on the opinion that thematically, the Zulu is a no-no and while the special ability isn't as terrible as the Witch Doctor it doesn't make much sense.

I agree the Zulu is a no-no, but he should be replaced by a character with no ties to a specific folk and some meaningful abilities. A fighter-like character is needed for the Forest Expansion too.

#95 JemyM

JemyM

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

The_Warlock said:

In this case I was only quoting names. I don't like both the Witch Doctor's abilities and his thematic, while I'd rather have the Shaman as you described. A Medicine Man or Woman may also fill out the list.[/quote]

Ok. :)

The_Warlock said:
I agree the Zulu is a no-no, but he should be replaced by a character with no ties to a specific folk and some meaningful abilities. A fighter-like character is needed for the Forest Expansion too.
Yeah. There aren't that many through and through strength-characters at the moment, only Ogre Chieftan and Troll comes close while Cat Burglar, Warlock and Wizard have the same stats in reverse.

If you keep the european themes, the Zulu end up a warrior-tribe similar to the highlanders or the barbarians. In fact, I would probably say that the Barbarian will fill that role. Some kind of pagan warrior or vandal might fit as well.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS