Jump to content



Photo

second and third edition characters you'd like too see in the fourth edition?!


  • Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#21 Velhart

Velhart

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:27 AM

I hope that we get differents toads as:

warrior toad, mage toad, ranger toads etc.

Maybe a toad character with a sword or something would be nice

 



#22 boxcornersdiety

boxcornersdiety

    Member

  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:10 PM

Dark Elf

Necromancer

Minotaur

Samurai

Centaur

Kings Champion

Master Thief

High Mage

Sprite

but most of all... THE LEPRECHAUN



#23 Awesomeness

Awesomeness

    Member

  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:25 AM

Hands down the coolest character from second edition was the Chainsaw Warrior! Seriously though, I remember when we first opened the Timescape box and saw his character card - no one wanted to play anyone else. Timescape may not have been the most balanced expansion, but I think it added a lot of variety and fun to the game.



#24 Velhart

Velhart

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:11 PM

A chainsaw warrior?

sounds cool.

But it would be better if it is a frankenstein type with a chainsaw I will love it  Or a killing lumberjack lol 

If vampire's are allowed in talisman, then they may add frankenstein too

I have rather a frankenstein type with chainsaw than allowing machine guns in talisman



#25 Lubricus

Lubricus

    Member

  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:58 PM

Chainsaw Warrior was awesome! I won each time I played him, IIRC. He wasn't allowed in the City, I think, which meant I could kill all of the Enemies on the main board while all the others were scrambling to become the High Mage!



#26 Django

Django

    Member

  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:53 AM

Í collect all Expansions of the 2nd Edition of Talisman without The Dragons (City, Adventure, Dungeon, Timescape)... but I can´t find the Leprechaun in my game... maybe he is in the main game (which is german), so I don´t know the right translation of his name... but most of you are talking about him as a very good Char... so maybe someone can post his stats and skills. In this case I could match up these with my german chars and then I would know what´s so special about the Leprechaun... ;-) Thank you for helping!



#27 Dam

Dam

    Member

  • Members
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:12 AM

Don't have the 2nd ed (wouldn't be here if I did ), so can only c&p from the Expert Rule Book.

 

"Leprechaun – Strength: 2, Craft: 4, Alignment: Good, Start: Forest.

Ability 1: You begin the game with 2 Spells.

Ability 2: You do not need to roll the die in the Forest. However, if you do roll you must accept the outcome of the die roll.

Ability 3: Whenever you roll a 6 for your movement you may Teleport to any other space in the same Region, instead of your normal movement (you may also Teleport into or out of the City, including City Locations). You may only Teleport one space during the Blizzard. You cannot Teleport whilst you are in the Dungeon, Timescape, or Inner Region. It is Illegal to Teleport whilst you are in the City.

Ability 4: You are unaffected by the Siren."

 

IIRC, and it's been probably decade or so since I last read the 2nd ed char cards, most of that was on the card in the first place. Looks like a built-in Magic Carpet.


"A dirty mind is its own reward."


#28 Velhart

Velhart

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:41 AM

Dam said:

Don't have the 2nd ed (wouldn't be here if I did ), so can only c&p from the Expert Rule Book.

 

"Leprechaun – Strength: 2, Craft: 4, Alignment: Good, Start: Forest.

Ability 1: You begin the game with 2 Spells.

Ability 2: You do not need to roll the die in the Forest. However, if you do roll you must accept the outcome of the die roll.

Ability 3: Whenever you roll a 6 for your movement you may Teleport to any other space in the same Region, instead of your normal movement (you may also Teleport into or out of the City, including City Locations). You may only Teleport one space during the Blizzard. You cannot Teleport whilst you are in the Dungeon, Timescape, or Inner Region. It is Illegal to Teleport whilst you are in the City.

Ability 4: You are unaffected by the Siren."

 

IIRC, and it's been probably decade or so since I last read the 2nd ed char cards, most of that was on the card in the first place. Looks like a built-in Magic Carpet.

Hi Dam

Can you see in the expert book what the ability's are from the upcoming characters from the dungeon expansion.

I wonder what they are. I know only a little about the swashbuckler because he is in the third edition.

greetings,

 Velhart



#29 Dam

Dam

    Member

  • Members
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:52 AM

Velhart said:

 

Hi Dam

Can you see in the expert book what the ability's are from the upcoming characters from the dungeon expansion.

I wonder what they are. I know only a little about the swashbuckler because he is in the third edition.

greetings,

 Velhart

 

 

Grab the thing for yourself, it's nice reading:

www.talismanisland.com/downloads.htm

(one section down from the 4th ed bar)

Gladiator and Amazon I'm familiar with from the 2nd ed days, the old Philosopher is pretty much the exact same char as the Sage in Reaper so remains to be seen what the Dungeon Philosopher will bring. Swashbuckler is also in there, but no Gypsy.


"A dirty mind is its own reward."


#30 dth

dth

    Member

  • Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:26 AM

Actually, I really like what FFG have done so far with Talisman.

The Reaper was something new, which I think was a really solid idea. The Dungeon looks great. As to characters, I like the fact that Talisman is generic fantasy and I honestly don't think adding anything which is non-generic is a good idea.

I personally HATE ninjas in general fantasy.

Plus, you'll NEVER see the Space Marine or Skaven or any other Games Workshop license-specific character. Which is for the better in my opinion!



#31 Velhart

Velhart

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:00 AM

Dam said:

Velhart said:

 

Hi Dam

Can you see in the expert book what the ability's are from the upcoming characters from the dungeon expansion.

I wonder what they are. I know only a little about the swashbuckler because he is in the third edition.

greetings,

 Velhart

 

 

Grab the thing for yourself, it's nice reading:

www.talismanisland.com/downloads.htm

(one section down from the 4th ed bar)

Gladiator and Amazon I'm familiar with from the 2nd ed days, the old Philosopher is pretty much the exact same char as the Sage in Reaper so remains to be seen what the Dungeon Philosopher will bring. Swashbuckler is also in there, but no Gypsy.

Hey Dam,

Thanks for that.

I shall take a look there !

PS: It was true what you said about the assassin discussion

 



#32 Django

Django

    Member

  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:43 PM

Dam said:

Don't have the 2nd ed (wouldn't be here if I did ), so can only c&p from the Expert Rule Book.

 

"Leprechaun – Strength: 2, Craft: 4, Alignment: Good, Start: Forest.

Ability 1: You begin the game with 2 Spells.

Ability 2: You do not need to roll the die in the Forest. However, if you do roll you must accept the outcome of the die roll.

Ability 3: Whenever you roll a 6 for your movement you may Teleport to any other space in the same Region, instead of your normal movement (you may also Teleport into or out of the City, including City Locations). You may only Teleport one space during the Blizzard. You cannot Teleport whilst you are in the Dungeon, Timescape, or Inner Region. It is Illegal to Teleport whilst you are in the City.

Ability 4: You are unaffected by the Siren."

 

IIRC, and it's been probably decade or so since I last read the 2nd ed char cards, most of that was on the card in the first place. Looks like a built-in Magic Carpet.

 

Thank You. In the german edition this is  the "Gnom", which would be normaly, in my opinion, translated as "gnome", but it doesn´t matter at all. Thank You for posting the stats. Back in the old days this little brother wasn´t one of my favorite Chars... but maybe I will take him on the next game...

And for me: It would be a honor, if the centaur would start a comeback... ;-)



#33 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

    Member

  • Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:02 AM

jadrax said:

The Skaven from 3rd.

 

x2, though I agree with what DTH said, in that we won't be seeing Games Workshop licensed people/races, which is for the better.

But we could hold out hope for a generic ratmen!



#34 Velhart

Velhart

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:21 PM

Maybe that the Leprechaun will return in a Forest expansion

Or maybe a sprite, halfling, perhaps.



#35 Lancer T

Lancer T

    Member

  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:22 AM

Ahh the leprechaun I remember winning many games and having lots of fun with his teleport ability.Always thought he should of had more gold..... that he took from the end of the raindow.



#36 Velhart

Velhart

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:39 PM

Lancer T said:

Ahh the leprechaun I remember winning many games and having lots of fun with his teleport ability.Always thought he should of had more gold..... that he took from the end of the raindow.

Haha

Maybe he have empty pockets? haha



#37 Crow T Robot

Crow T Robot

    Member

  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:02 PM

I hope that we get differents toads as:

 

warrior toad, mage toad, ranger toads etc.

Maybe a toad character with a sword or something would be nice

 

Yes that would be very cool. I remember something like this when the old 2nd ed mini's were out. I painted all the base game 3rd edition miniatures so would LOVE to see them with new cards and some balancing stats to play them in 4th rev.... THE CETAUR WOULD BE A GREAT MINI TO PAINT!!!
 



#38 Velhart

Velhart

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:19 PM

Crow T Robot said:

 

I hope that we get differents toads as:

 

warrior toad, mage toad, ranger toads etc.

Maybe a toad character with a sword or something would be nice

 

Yes that would be very cool. I remember something like this when the old 2nd ed mini's were out. I painted all the base game 3rd edition miniatures so would LOVE to see them with new cards and some balancing stats to play them in 4th rev.... THE CETAUR WOULD BE A GREAT MINI TO PAINT!!!
 

 

 

I hope too that we get different toads.

As you said.... a toad with a sword would be nice, or one with a spell book( lol) ( a frog song spell haha

But if it is not possible, then i have at least that we get a warrior, mage, ranger, etc toads.

But the next expansion has something to do with toads, so maybe we get some toad figures?....

 

 



#39 Backlash

Backlash

    Member

  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:57 AM

This may mark me as a traditionalist or even unimaginative, but I would like to see FFG focus more on 'realistic' characters versus ones that would never be seen roaming around hunting demons.  I can appreciate the variations and flavor some of these characters add to the typical lots you find in other games and genres, but I just can't picture a Philosopher taking on a dragon or a Leprechaun achieving world domination.  There are so many untapped characters - new and old - that could be brought to the literal table that I find it hard to believe that these characters who are best suited for supporting roles as followers are being tapped as the main protagonists.  Bring back the Necromancer, Knight Templar, Chaos Warrior, Ninja, and make way for other more believable heroes such as a Samurai/Ronin, Pirate/Mariner, Machinist (think Steampunk or Gnomish), Shaman, Viking.  These may be archetypical, but at least I don't have to convince my young kids that playing a Merchant while I get the Warrior or Wizard can be fun too.  You ever try to tell an 11 year old boy raised on Xbox and WoW that roaming the dangerous countryside as a Sage is a good idea?



#40 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:17 AM

Backlash said:

 

This may mark me as a traditionalist or even unimaginative, but I would like to see FFG focus more on 'realistic' characters versus ones that would never be seen roaming around hunting demons.  I can appreciate the variations and flavor some of these characters add to the typical lots you find in other games and genres, but I just can't picture a Philosopher taking on a dragon or a Leprechaun achieving world domination.  There are so many untapped characters - new and old - that could be brought to the literal table that I find it hard to believe that these characters who are best suited for supporting roles as followers are being tapped as the main protagonists.  Bring back the Necromancer, Knight Templar, Chaos Warrior, Ninja, and make way for other more believable heroes such as a Samurai/Ronin, Pirate/Mariner, Machinist (think Steampunk or Gnomish), Shaman, Viking.  These may be archetypical, but at least I don't have to convince my young kids that playing a Merchant while I get the Warrior or Wizard can be fun too.  You ever try to tell an 11 year old boy raised on Xbox and WoW that roaming the dangerous countryside as a Sage is a good idea?

 

 

I don't have kids to play with but I understand. I have the same problems when I present the game to newbies; many feel uncomfortable if they draw weird Characters, most notably the Ghoul and the Monk. They don't look like heroes and is their magical/spiritual power is not easy to spot.

I wish the next expansions bring back the most classic Characters: Necromancer, Ninja, Halfling, Ranger, Highlander, Barbarian have a strong fantasy adventure feeling and should be brought back with no hesitation, paying some more attention to balancement and thematics. I really disliked 2nd Ranger and Woodsman, but I think that a good mix of these two Characters could bring to a better Ranger. Barbarian needs improvement too; Ninja needs balancement.

There's room for other typical rolegame Characters, such as a Cleric and a Fighter-mage (combining both spellcasting and combat abilities), there's need for some demi-human variety (a Gnome-like Character and also a new Sprite might be interesting). Perhaps FFG wants to bring some of the typical Terrinoth creatures into Talisman. Let's see what happens. Just don't bring back to life Saracen, Zulu, Conjurer or Spy. Some of them had interesting abilities but I really disliked their lack of fantasy feeling.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS