Discussing the rules (FAQ style)

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 Wrapped

Wrapped

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:45 AM

I just played my first game of Android and soon a question came up. When is something considered "sacrificed"? Quite a few of the player plots has bad baggage triggered from other players sacrificing favors or cards. And is a sacrifice directed to a specific event?

My character had a bad baggage triggered by another player sacrifice 2 dark twilight cards. Does that person have to:

1. Sacrifice the cards to lower the cost for another twilight card, show that they are 2 dark cards an trigger the effect as well as lower the cost?

2. Specifically trigger the bad baggage effect on my card by sacrificing the 2 twilight cards with no additional benefits?

3. Use the rules for discarding cards and spend 1*2 time to trigger my bad baggage effect?

We went for option 1, but that made the plot pretty much impossible to complete and I suspect we should have settled for option 2. But there were also valid arguments for using option 3. What are the rules on this?

#42 subochre

subochre

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

Yeah, it's option 2.  From the faq:

Q: Could you explain sacrificing more
thoroughly?
A: Sacrifices only happen due to a card effect
or ability. A sacrifice must be performed during
your turn, but they cost 0 time unless the card or
ability states otherwise. A player may sacrifice
as many times per turn as he desires, as long as
he can play the cost. Finally, sacrificed items
(such as favors or evidence) are returned to the
pool that they came from.
So, for instance, if your plot says that you may
sacrifice 2 favors to gain 1 good baggage, then
you may discard 2 favors during your turn to
gain 1 good baggage without spending any time.
Note that in the example above, you could not
gain any other benefit from sacrificing those 2
favors, even if you had another game effect that
you could trigger by sacrificing favors.

#43 Ohbeone

Ohbeone

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:05 PM

I have searched BGG, rules, and FAQ and can't find anything specific to this.  When you pay a twilight cost of a card, if it costs more than you have shifts, can you play by shifting or do you have to be able to have the amount?  I ask this because Raymond (maybe others, I just finished reading the rules and tried to go through a couple turns last night to get a better handle on it) has a light card I think it is which costs 6.  But the max you can shift if you're completely shifted is 4.  So does this mean you have to have modifiers enough to reduce it to 4 or less?  I did realize that playing matching the plot can reduce by 1 but for this card it would have to be reduced by at least two.

Another question I have is of the conspiracy puzzle.  In the rules it mentions the Haas and jinteki conspiracy piece but it says that they can add a bonus...or not depending on how it's played.  What does that mean?  I never expands on that.  What I can deduce is that jinteki or haas have to be on the EDGE to get the bonus but if they're in the middle somewhere there is no bonus.  Also in the rules it shows Haas in the upper right on the edge but right in front of another one but that one doesn't get the bonus.  So if Haas or Jinteki are in front of another organization on the end does that mean the other organization doesn't count? (Even though it looks like the line continues).  Very confusing and not explained although in the sample, since the one doesn't get the bonus, I'm assuming it blocks them.  So, I'm guessing that there can be only 4 bonuses coming form the puzzle?

Thanks for the help!  I think that's all my questions.

#44 jasonpanella

jasonpanella

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:34 AM

Check out the section titled "Discarding Cards for Discounts" on page 28 of the rules, Ohbeone. 

As for the second question, it means this: if you intentionally play a connecting piece to NOT connect to anything else, you're making sure no one gets that bonus. That works for any piece in the puzzle, really. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS