• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:51 AM

Graver said:

The talk of TF in other threads recently reminded me of this one and of Gregorius' excellent Red Cage Encounters. Unfortunately, I didn't keep the pdf he had written up and it's no longer up for download. So, besides resurrecting a thread here to watch it wander about munching on brains, I'd also like to politely ask our resident encounter genius if he could possibly put his pdf with Red cage Encounters back up for download. I remember there was some good stuff in there suitable for more then just Tatter Fates...

So, pretty please and thanks in advance :-)

To recite Jay-Z "Thank you, thank you! Far to kind".

http://rapidshare.com/files/361606390/TF_RedCageEncountersV03.doc.pdf

http://rapidshare.com/files/361606522/TF_RedCageEncounters_MaidenDeath.pdf

But, the "Maiden of Death" should be after Xenos. Thereby, one should rewrite it to introduce one female dark eldar as "main attaction". :)

Do you want more? I am not sure if I am able to deliver, but I could give it a try.

#22 Graver

Graver

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:04 AM

More? Only if you have the free time :-D What you've already done is more then sufficient for my needs, but then again, I'm greedy. ;-)

Thank you very much!

#23 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:29 AM

"Free time"? I gues not...but I have a mind that seldomly comes to rest...

http://rapidshare.com/files/361682396/RedCagesEncountersII.pdf

One new encounter ["Hounded!"] and a "write up" of the already provided "The fungid devil in THE DEEP SINK" (with some new options).

#24 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:05 PM

Found of mutant canniblas hunting humans in an ancient boiler room? Well, I am...sorta

http://rapidshare.com/files/361812519/RedCagesEncounter_ScavCan.pdf

Up next: Some mutant gladiators waiting to be released and a weapons locker of the pc´s dream.

After this, I am out of inspiration for the RedCages, so, and will turn on working on the Treasurehunt of "Brutal Lament" and some more Options for "Damned Cities" (which I like much much more then TF).

#25 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:08 AM

Eaten the way up [Deep Level Encounter]

While stumbling around and looking for a way up, the pc come across a huge hall which once must have been a basin for sewage water. Half of the ceiling has collapsed, so, and half of the room is filled with a heap of hunks of rockcrete and other debris piling up to the hole that was once a ceiling. The pile is covered in dry moss. Through a crack high up and out of site, a little beam of sunlight falls into the room. From a crack in the floor, an unbelievable stench crawls up.
The pc do not know it, but they are now under the area known as “the collapsed palaces”. The whole area suffered from the break down, but is now more or less stable. But it is far from safe. While the heap allows to climb up the next [Vault] Level, the heap also has become the nest of a colony of Torturcrawlers. As the pc approach the pile ask for difficult (-10) test on Perception/Awareness to spot the palm sized pale shelled “nest guards” guarding and patrolling at the center of the pile “halfway up”. Emphasize the comparable huge nipper-like mandibles.

The pc need 15 successes on an extended routine (+20) climb test. After achieving 10+ success, the heap grows ore steep (ordinary climb tests). As missed role means that a part of the pile gives way and the pc slides 2 (+level of failure) “success” down again.
The Torturcrawlers will start to attack them after five “rounds” (seven if they spotted the “Nest Guards” and tried to climb the heap at as much a distant to them as possible).
Use the “Crawler” Stats from the core rules. Add the “Tiny” Size Trait, change the damage to 1d5, give them the “Fearless” and “Improved Natural Weapons” talent. The first point of damage will kill one of them.

At round 5 (or 7) one will be attacking each pc, other are pouring from diverse openings in the heap
Two rounds later, two further will attack. Three rounds later, it will be three more and so on. Please take not that this tiny buggers cannot “outnumber” the pc. The “Nest Guards” will leave them alone as soon as they accumulated 12 success….but will attack if the slide down due to a mistake.

Options A: The Torturecrawlers bite could deliver a venom that makes the skin burn and itches like hell. The pc are -3 to all Perception based tests due to lack of concentration.

Option B: The crack is home to a child sized “Crackspider” which normally preys on the bugs but will attack anything to “scare it off” that strays to close to the crack (challenging awareness test to notice the spider before it attacks. A pc “checking the crack in the floor” will get to close). The Spider will attack only one time before falling back into the crack (see “Assasine Strike” Talent) but the venom is paralyzing and necrotic. Use the “Crawler” stats from the core rules. If damage is done, the victim must make a routine +20 toughness check. If failed, the area of the bite starts to numb and the pc will start to feel weak. [Temporary loss of 1d5 points of strength and a further one for every level of failure).

#26 Graver

Graver

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:19 AM

Thanks again Gregorious! You have a crazy knack for vignettes. These will work wonders for keeping my players entertained (along with the rest of TF, though it dose make me feel a bit dirty, but I might as well get my sixteen dollars out of it) for a bit and buy me some time to work on hammering out the next campaign arch. I was going to be organizing these, a few others, and the ones found into a book into a web-map of crucial choices (after wandering through one twist and turn after anouther, all confusingly alike you come to an intersection; down the right hand corridor you hear the sloshing of water wile down the left, you see a faint illumination and a sound which might be voices...) as per your suggestion at the beginning of this. With your permission, I'd like to collect your encounters into one pdf with the web map and a few of my devising and put it up for down load(with proper credit given of course) for those who might find such a thing useful in the future.

Oh, and if I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times; you can never go wrong wit Cannibal Mutants! Need a quick encounter? Cannibal Mutants! Have a intrigue laden story but feel it needs just a dash of horrible action? Cannibal Mutants! Need a night away from the kids but the sitter just canceled? Cannibal Mutants! Cannibal Mutants, for all your Cannibal Mutant Needs!*

*Cannibal Mutants is a registered trademark of the makers of Head In A Bag, for all your Head In A Bag Needs!

#27 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:43 AM

Allowance given! But give time till the weekend, I still have some to prepare! ;)

#28 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:37 AM

Okay, here it is: the final version

http://rapidshare.com/files/362548138/CrimsonDarkness.pdf

"Into a crimson darkness" includes eleven encounters, three designs for the "deep levels" and eight for the "Vault" Levels

The Labyrinth of the Scavenger Cannibals [Deep]

Eaten the way up [Deep]

Hounded! [Vault]

The fungid devil in THE DEEP SINKS [Deep]

Captured Gladiators [Vault]

A Watchroom [Vault]

A fodder pen [Vault]

Stitch-Up [Vault]

Elevator [Deep/Vault]

The guarded stash-away [Vault]

Arena Weapons Locker [Vault]

I decided to leave "Maiden Death" out. A little to cheesy-sleazy, after all. 

Feel free to use/abuse this. If anyone wants to "yank" this in order to incorporate it into material he/she will later publish on a non-profit basis, I am fine as long as I get a line of credit (as "Gregorius21778 from FFG Forum") somewhere.

#29 ZillaPrime

ZillaPrime

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:00 AM

I have added some of your ideas to my own.  Not going to specify, since my team is not done with Red Cages yet.

This is going to be SO much fun!  I already have players telling me how much their characters want to inflict horrible, bad things on the villains and they have not even been through the labyrinth yet.  GM bliss here. 

#30 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:38 AM

ZillaPrime said:

I have added some of your ideas to my own.  Not going to specify, since my team is not done with Red Cages yet.

This is going to be SO much fun!  I already have players telling me how much their characters want to inflict horrible, bad things on the villains and they have not even been through the labyrinth yet.  GM bliss here. 

Nice to hear...but what enraged the your pc so much? "Being stripped of their gear" or something they wittnessed in the cages so far?

#31 ZillaPrime

ZillaPrime

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:14 AM

Gregorius21778 said:

ZillaPrime said:

Nice to hear...but what enraged the your pc so much? "Being stripped of their gear" or something they wittnessed in the cages so far?

Neither, YET!   They are furious with the Beast House for the actions they took during the "bridge" episode that I ran to transition my team into Tattered Fates.  For the most part they are a bit on the casual and "it's just business" side of things when it comes to routine opponents, but these guys offended their sensibilities pretty good.  Our paranoid (sanctioning side-effect!) Psyker was singled out and targeted first for a tranq-dart despite other members of the team being far more obvious physical threats...  "So they MUST know what I am!"  During the final takedown most of the characters were out of action, but three were still conscious and one of the Hunter-team decided to force compliance by holding his rifle against an innocent child's head and demanding surrender...  Our Techpriest is a Navy veteran and the Assassin is from a Gun-Fane of Scintilla so this move offended both of them as "bad form".   There was also the obvious use of Xenos-tech (a Haywire grenade by the Hunt-team leader and earlier in the story there was a Wraithbone tiara wired into a low-grade telepath at the cult gathering).    The Tranq-pistol used by the Hunt-team leader was an Adeptus Mechanicus model, and the Techpriest recognized this fact...   Oh, then there is the minor issue of the HereTek that plugged a datapad and cables into the Techpriest after his surrender and hacked his systems, shutting down all the non-motive, non-life supporting implants!   To give you an idea of just how much that is, the team's Techpriest currently mounts SEVEN mechadendrites and has the Machine trait, Dragonscale armour, Hermetic blood replacement, heart and lung replacement and several pieces of neural-ware, plus alot more I am skipping over.  Besides the obvious insult of filthy HereTek hands tampering with his Holy implants he also happens to have Haterd (Tech Heretics) as an elite advance due to several nasty run-ins with Logicians from earlier.

After all that, the most disturbing to our trusty Techpriest is the potential loss of "THE Rope".   Yep... A length of cheap, ordinary rope!  It was issued as mission gear on the team's first mission and the use of said rope saved the lives of THREE team members, including his own.  He has literally carried this particular length of rope on EVERY mission no matter where or what.  Over the course of the game it has evolved into a Charm, but it only works for him.  Oh, he is rather concerned about recovering his best quality Omnissian Axe as well, but "those filthy bastards had better not have done a THING to my rope or I will hunt them all down, no matter what planet they hide on!"

The way things are shaping up I am expecting better rants from the Techpriest than our Cadian Guardsman, Scintillan Assassin, Solomon Scum, the kid Psyker, Noble Cleric AND Schola Adept (think the BAD girl from Catholic school, but now in her 20's and working for the Inquisition)!   Outrage is sure to build exponentially as they progress through the Cages though, so the others might catch up on the pissed-scale.  The team also has a recently added Adepta Sororita and if she is not offended by what she sees then I will have failed horribly.

#32 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:46 AM

Hi Zilla,

it´s been a while now. Perhaps you are NOW able to share what you added? (see below).

@Luthor
You do not seem to be able to read my PM. Perhaps this will do nit

http://rapidshare.co...sonDarkness.pdf

#33 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:16 AM

Well, while I am trying to reach Luthor Harkonnen to provide him with the encounters he kindly requested, I figured that I as well could try to write a new one.

Here are two new entries for "Tattered Fates: the Red Cages". Actually, this whole sing simply needed an arena somewhere, so I added a simple arena and some more slavers to pursuit the pc.

http://rapidshare.com/files/421043497/TF_RedCages_MM_01.pdf.html

I hope you enjoy.

#34 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:30 AM

Somehow, I simply cannot stop doing this

http://rapidshare.com/files/421200007/TF_RedCages_MM_02.pdf.html

Inside the re-worked document you will find

A total of eleven scenes and "scenery bits" not include in "Into a crimson darkness"

• one of them including an actual arena
  • one of them offering a way to re-route the pc to the deep levels

and writte stats to a new pesky xenos creature: the Molehunch

#35 Luthor Harkon

Luthor Harkon

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:32 PM

Hey Greg,

thanks a lot for the links. I finally got the PM as well and already read through most of your encounters. Looks great. Very promising...

#36 Ghorghor Bey

Ghorghor Bey

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:26 AM

Master Greg! Your skills are needed once again!

I once downloaded your collection of nasty rooms and whathaveyounots but it looks like it have been lost in the battle.. so I came to retrieve it and found your expanded tome of nasties was taken down from rapidshare.. can I has new download link?

I DM'ed tattered fates (well the players only got out of the dungeon and into the carneval and we stopped because lack of time :( but now we have time again and the adventure will start anew and I need some of your awesome encounters to make the dungeon crawl as awesome as last time maybe even better with your new rooms. 

thanks in advance 

- Ghorghor

#37 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:45 PM

Hi Gorghor,

while it is nice of you calling me "Master", please do not do so any further. I failed my last two attempts at being a good DM miserably and the term is a painful sting to my pride at the moment

Well, enough of the whimsey whining!

Please have a look at darkreign40k.com in the section about "Tipps for Scenarios". You will find a post which include my scenes (both the cages and the carnival). 

By the way: what is this group of yours like?

EDIT:  Here we go
http://www.darkreign40k.com/drjoomla/index.php/gm-tips/tips-for-scenarios/1327-addes-scenes-for-qtattered-fatesq

Never "cleared" the list, so expect a lot of bad gramma and other errors.

EDIT-EDIT-EDIT:
Wait a second…your player already ran "TF" once til the end of the Red Cages….and you start all over again? Did I got that right?

#38 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:22 PM

[A slavering dog]
Note to the GM:
play this long before the PC have any chance to recover even the most basic of gear! Otherwise, they will just shoot the dog (and rightly so)

As the PC walk past a dark corner, the first thing they hear is a vicious sounding gnarl. The light of a dim lumen unit far down the corridor illuminates the darkness barely so it takes a few moments for the PC to spot the source of the sound. A large scraggly canine creature stands near one of the corridor walls, baring teeth at the PC.

This is a dog that somehow stroled away from the slavers. With an routine(+20) sight based Perception test the PC will recognize the leather collar (which is somehwat hidden by its fur). This is not a combat breed but one used for guarding and tracking. Ask the PC for an ordinary(+10) test for Wrangling. If they succeed, they can pass but the creature will not follow them. Three levels of success allow the PC to befriend the animal and it will follow them (providing a +20 bonus on all awareness test to spot dangers from people, beasts etc.). Otherwise, a challenging test for Fellowship or Intimidation is need to get past the creature without getting attacked (Ferociuous Creature from the core book; will back off after the first serious wound).

#39 Ghorghor Bey

Ghorghor Bey

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:05 AM

sorry I did not know! :I will not happen again.

thanks a ton! and no problemos with the grammar ;) im not a master in the engrish language myself :D

my group is a "casual" group, - friends from way back who dont see each other often, so when we all have time its not just the game but the catching up we do alot, and because of this there is often breaks where we talk of the "old days" and epic tales from previous adventures. :) so it is not the most serious group, but I would not have it any other way! :)

well.. yeah… it is two years or so since we ran the red cages crawl.. back then we did the red cages crawl+ a little of the festival (they had just got entrance to the manor) and the weekend was over, and there went a few months before we had time to play again, at that point RT was new and we wanted to try it out and stuck to it for a good deal of time - we like RT alot! 
but now we have started to talk about we wanted to get back to DH and the rest of my adventure, and they would love to do the red cages again because they loved this "no weapons other than iron pipes and a rusty revovler with 3 shots looted from a long dead slaver crushed in a cave-in and the same slavers flak armor where only the helmet, right leg and right arm is working" :D and how every weapon or armor is a HUEG find because it is a major upgrade, and they would LOVE to run it again for the fantastic challenge it is :) 
this time the red cages will probadly be shortend down (It was huge last time) so they can experience the rest of the festival and the 13th hour! :o but I would like to see your latest ideas, because they are nothing more than brilliant! :)

- Ghorghor

#40 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:35 PM

Hi Ghorghor,

I remember that I once started some other scenes, I will what I is strewn among my harddrives. When is you "new game" going to start?

As you mentioned that you will spend less time in the RedCages I will provide you with some general ideas/helps for TF which I once brew up in a topic where I made the big mouthed annoucement of coming up with help for the whole campaign (should have nown my own schedule better..)

The following files are provided by DropBox, this should be more convenient since they will not "drop out". I los the originals, so these are "few-page-documents" instead of all being compiled into one…will have to do this later..

https://www.dropbox....TF_Tipps_01.pdf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/suq9y8brhqnbtj6/TF_Tipps_02.pdf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iy8yr74th64pd8l/TF_tipps_03.pdf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fclidc3lbsjc6oe/TF_tipps_04.pdf

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS