Photo

Memory Lane: How you came by the game and/or favourite Talisman experience.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Talismaniac

Talismaniac

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:57 PM

My parents bought me another one of my favorite board games, Drakborgen (released as DungeonQuest elsewhere), I'm guessing it was around 86-87 (which would have made me 9 or 10) since the game itself was released in 85. Me and my dad started playing it like crazy, and I introduced some of my friends to it and we started to play it as well. Tons of fun!

A year or two later, my partents bought me Talisman (the 2nd edition, in Swedish) for me, and I loved that game just as much. Talisman and Drakborgen are probably my two favorite board games, so I guess that speaks volumes as to how much my parents knew my tastes in games (and just how cool they were!). Played this with my dad and close circle of friends (same friends as before), and we played it to death. No expansions, they weren't released over here.

I still have my copy of 2nd edition somewhere, but it's very used and beaten up, but the memories that lie in that piece of board! I was actually considering getting the 2nd edition in english as well, just to get my hands on the expansions, but soon found out that those things cost a fortune on places like ebay. Gave that up soon enough.

Don't know how I stumbled across the revised 4th edition, but man am I glad I did! Have all the expansions up to this date, will continue to buy future expansions and the experience is so much richer and fine tuned now this time around when compared to the 2nd edition. I have some cherished memories from 2nd, but by playing with my brother, brother-in-law and some close friends, I'm starting to rack up new and exciting memories with the 4th edition. Such good times!

Talisman, definitely one of the (of not THE) most fun, well-crafted and intriguing board games of all time. I'm glad my parents bought it for me back in the day, because it's going to have a special place in my heart until the day I die.

#22 BatHead

BatHead

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:16 PM

I got the first edition way back in the day after I read about it in a book about fantasy adventure/war/rpg board games. Been playing on and off ever since. Had a nice and almost complete set of 2 ed. minis along with most of the expansions, and I have a complete 3rd edition set with all expansions, as well as all the special characters and their cards that appeared in White Dwarf magazine along with their requisite proxy minis.

Edited by BatHead, 25 April 2014 - 08:17 PM.

#23 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:18 PM

Interesting that you mentioned DungeonQuest. I put it on my list of games to try and get, and just won a copy for $35. Its in awesome condition, I never played the game, but heard so many good things about it, that's why it was on my list.

It has Talisman on the front of the box and came out about the same time as you said, but never heard of it until recently.

Don't know if I will like it, but I can always sell it since I got it really cheap and its worth a lot.

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#24 Artaterxes

Artaterxes

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

My story is a little bit different. Here is the step-by-step turn of events. I'm 28 years old, born in 1986.

2007: A group of co-workers (Eurogamers) introduced me to designer board games. Realizing I like the fantasy genre, I bought my first designer board game: Shadows over Camelot.

2011: I bought my first cooperative board game, Dungeons and Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon. I was debating between that and Descent: Journeys in the Dark.

2012: I bought Descent: Journeys in the Dark anyway. Then, I got Descent: Second Edition that same year. I noticed Descent: Second Edition was part of the "Runebound Universe." So I got Runebound as well.

2012-2013: My personal campaign to experience all the games in the Terrinoth setting. I thought Runebound was a good fantasy adventure board game that was not a dungeon crawl.

Oh, and then during this time I saw Talisman on FFG's website. The comments were that it was "Fantasy Monopoly" and just as bad. "Why would I want that?" I thought. "I have Runebound. And supposedly it's much better, according to these guys."

2013: Fine, let's see what this game is all about. I picked up Talisman: Revised 4th Edition on a whim.

o_o

O_O

FAVURITTE GAEM EVAR

Basically, in my personal history, Talisman takes the award for "Most underestimated game."

Edited by Artaterxes, 28 April 2014 - 02:53 PM.

#25 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:42 PM

I debated the D&D board games vs Descent 2, found the D&D board games on sale a little over a month ago and that broke the decision and got all 3!

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#26 Granville

Granville

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:19 AM

My first introduction to Talisman was a sad experience.

The game was so fun in it's own way that despite the circumstances I found a likeness for it that seemed to seed and only really blossom a few months ago, when I grabbed a digital edition on Steam.

-Now I've ordered all the expansions off EBay in one large lot and gathered a group of six to play it all day in two weeks.

I had a friend who was a very pro Magic: The Gathering player, he did very well in tournaments. The guy was a good guy, but had a real.... ehhhhh.... not such a great personality, sometimes. His competitive ability that helped him succeed in life and gaming was also a clubfoot to many things a' social. On his birthday a few years ago, I went to his place to game with him and his friends.

This is the first time I played Talisman. It was a 3rd edition or maybe 2nd Edition or possibly even the original 4th edition and I believe I had a Troll for my first character. Honestly I don't remember. that well.

I spent the majority of the game figuring out how to play on my own.  (How do I get a Talisman? How do I get to the inner Region?) Everyone else knew how to play, so they explained it to me but not really any strategy, the make up of the decks, etc. Still, I enjoyed the dynamic of the game. How the board as set up, how movement worked, how random the adventure deck was, how unless you made huge streaks of mistakes, or other players at the table messed with you, you character seemed to progress and get more powerful, slowly leading you on a path to victory. (Or quickly if you knew what you were doing) It left a pleasant resonance with me that I never seemed to forget, despite having never seen the game again for years.

I have been a tabletop gamer for YEARS primarily Battletech, but I will say this game really stood out for me. Unfortunately I was at a point in my life where I had stopped going to gaming conventions, where at one point I would go every three-day weekend. (No idea how I missed Talisman all those years, all those cons...)

Eventually the game lead up to my friend getting very close to the crown. His girlfriend used some kind of spell on him and killed him, as she was a competitive player too. But not as competitive as he was. It literally ruined his birthday. We were supposed to take him out for Sushi t his favorite restaurant. Instead he re-rolled to the Enchantress, spell cycled himself back towards the crown and ....died again. The whole time the rest of the players at the table were afraid to really intervene with him as it was...well, his birthday. I myself went outside and smoked a lot of cigarettes that night, as I watched my poor friend not only tailspin his birthday, but his relationship with a girlfriend he very much wanted and was lucky to have.

When we finished the game he was so angry he offered me the copy. I should have said yes as I would have introduced it to another group of friends and we would have played it regularly. But he was angry so I declined.

few months later he los his gal and was a bit of a mess so I took him out for drinks and sushi and politely explained his birthday to him, so the mistakes would not be repeated when the next gal came his way. He's a good guy and good friend, and we all make mistakes.

I never got around to playing Talisman again until about a month ago, when I saw it on Steam. I bought it right away and was and have been amused with it quite a bit. I wish the multi-player worked better and it's supposedly being fixed in a patch. I bought copies of the game for a lot of my friends and we all enjoyed it enough that despite being unable to finish -any- multiplayer game in the DE"s current state, we are all getting together to play a hard copy of the game with all the expansions.

It's much more fun this way, despite none of us really having played a hard copy expect myself, much less the expansions.....

We like the idea of the huge board, huge amount of expansion content, drinking and being social with one another from a Saturday afternoon to a late Saturday night. The randomness of this game I believe will have a high level of amusement among my peers as well as the kind of storytelling that goes turn by turn.

I'm looking forward to it.

Being as I know the other players so well, we will actually pick characters the first time around. I believe I can actually pick, which characters my other five friends will choose, out of the -56- to choose from.

Calling it now:

Rob: Always plays a Bard in DND or any other game where he can, will choose the Minstrel.

Damien: Always plays a Spellcaster in any game he can, will grab the Wizard.

Victor: Always likes to go for the stealth kill, plays a lot of Call of Duty...Assassin

Tim: Retired Navy Vet and will ask "Which is the easiest character to play? -We'll hand him the Troll.

Ryan: Will take one character randomly out of the entire deck and roll with it. He never plays the same thing twice.

Myself: Dragon Priestess..I like big boobs.

#27 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,630 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:06 AM

My first introduction to Talisman was when I went off to university in the Year of Our Lord 1998. I found a gaming club with an old copy of Talisman (second edition) and most of the expansions that went with it.

I remember the first club meeting I went to, a game of Talisman was already under weigh... and had been for two or three days straight, I was told. Talisman was the game that never ended with them. People would rotate in and out as class schedules and sleep required, but there were always a few people there. I served my tour of duty that day, and have loved the game ever since.

For some reason, I never got around to buying my own copy until 4th edition came along - probably because that old 2nd edition copy was readily available for years, and it held up well despite extensive use. I bought the Black Industries printing shortly before GW handed the game over to FFG, so then I bought the conversion kit and went on from there. I have to say, FFG has not disappointed me with their rendition of the game.

I really feel lucky to have found that gaming club. They introduced me to a lot of classic games I might have otherwise missed. A lot of which have since been reprinted by FFG. Hmm... Talisman, Arkham Horror, Fury of Dracula, Dune (a.k.a. Rex,) DungeonQuest... the list goes on.

And they introduced me to the classic editions of those games, which gives me a certain amount of perspective on the newer editions FFG is making, and I appreciate that. By and large I think FFG has done a fantastic job of recreating these classic games, but the few points I disagree on are easy enough to make house rules to retrofit the older game using FFG's shiny new components. In the end, I get what I consider to be the best of both worlds. =)

All I really need now is for someone to reprint Minion Hunter. =)

Edited by Steve-O, 18 May 2014 - 10:11 AM.

#28 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,630 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:07 AM

Myself: Dragon Priestess..I like big boobs.

This is the kind of honesty you don't see much of these days. I can appreciate that. =P

#29 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:03 PM

Relative noob here. I bought the Revised 4th Edition a couple Christmases ago (Blood Moon was the first post-purchase expansion release) for my young son, whose love of 'Skyrim' convinced me that a fantasy board game was in order. In fact, I recall the clerk at the game store sort of wrinkling his nose at my questions about it, saying, "oh yes, it's definitely good for children"... as though it was beneath him and his peers.

My son loved it, and I loved it too! In this small space of time, we've bought every expansion, and I've been painting the miniatures like mad.

Rock on, FFG!

Edited by I. J. Thompson, 18 May 2014 - 06:04 PM.

• DomaGB likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS