Initiative: Basic Question

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ghaerdon

Ghaerdon

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:16 PM

The rules clearly state that the Imperial player gets initiative if tied (p.16 and p.18). I assume this is true for tournaments? If both are tied and both are playing the same side is it then when you roll?

I guess what I'm asking is how does tournament initiative work and is it stated in the Tournament Rules or FAQ? I couldn't find it.

Also when you play casually at your FLGS what initiative rules do you use? We have been rolling an attack dice and resolving initiative to the highest symbol.
  • admat likes this
Rebels: 4 X Wings; 3 B Wings; 2 A Wings; 2 Y Wings; 2 E Wing; 5 z95; 1 YT-1300; 2 HWK-290; GR-75; Tantive
Empire: 7 Tie Fighters; 3 Tie Interceptors; 2 Tie Bombers; 1 Tie Advanced; 2 Firespray-31; 2 Lambda Shuttles; 2 Tie Defender; 2 Tie Phantom
Scum: (will be getting ... 2 Most Wanted; 2 StarViper; 2 IG-2000; 4 M3-A)

#2 ObiWonka

ObiWonka

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:18 PM

Since both players could be Imperial, initiative is determine by points at tournaments: lowest points chooses who has Initiative. In case of a tie, roll 3 dice, most hits (and crits) chooses.

• Ghaerdon and admat like this

Rebel: 2x A-Wing, 2x B-Wing, 2x E-Wing, 2x HWK-290, 4x X-Wing, 2x Y-Wing, 1x YT-1300, 2x Z-95 Headhunter

Imperial: 1x Firespray-31, 1x Lambda Shuttle, 2x TIE Defender, 6x TIE Fighter, 1x TIE Advanced, 2x TIE Bomber, 6x TIE Interceptor, 2x TIE Phantom

BEARFACE

#3 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

Laser Brain

• Members
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:20 PM

See the tournament rules, page 2. It's step 4 of the Squad Deployment Procedure.

The tournament rule for initiative has become the standard for me even during casual play. To break ties, we roll 3 attack dice, counting all [damage] and [critical damage] results and comparing them.

Edited by DagobahDave, 01 September 2014 - 02:21 PM.

• Ghaerdon and admat like this

Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

#4 Ghaerdon

Ghaerdon

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:24 PM

Thanks, I can't believe I didn't see that step!
  • admat likes this
Rebels: 4 X Wings; 3 B Wings; 2 A Wings; 2 Y Wings; 2 E Wing; 5 z95; 1 YT-1300; 2 HWK-290; GR-75; Tantive
Empire: 7 Tie Fighters; 3 Tie Interceptors; 2 Tie Bombers; 1 Tie Advanced; 2 Firespray-31; 2 Lambda Shuttles; 2 Tie Defender; 2 Tie Phantom
Scum: (will be getting ... 2 Most Wanted; 2 StarViper; 2 IG-2000; 4 M3-A)

#5 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 3,345 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:29 PM

It's usually easier to roll a single red die, and call hits (+crit) or blanks (+focuses). Less confusion, and no potential ties.
  • Vorpal Sword and Jedhead like this

FFG über alles!

#6 Portage

Portage

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:32 PM

What I have seen at tournaments, is the lowest points has choose for initiative or pass initiative to the other player.  When tied in points (Rebel vs Imperial or the same fraction against each other) you roll dice or flip a coin.  I usually see 3 dice, but how people count the dice has varied.

1)      Eye =1, Hit=2, and crit =3

2)      Most eyes wins

3)      Most hits win

I like prefer the coin toss and have my opponent call it in the air.

Sorry, I don’t know where this is in the rule book, but it was past practice at nationals in Indy.

• Ghaerdon likes this

#7 Jaden Ckast

Jaden Ckast

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:35 PM

Ya I'm not a fan of rolling attack dice, I usually ask the opponent if he minds rolling a 20 sided die and highest number wins. I guess the 3 attack dice is the official way but still 20 sides is quicker or like wonder said just roll 1 attack.

#8 Nickel

Nickel

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:35 PM

Most people around here roll a single attack die and has the other person call hits/crits or blanks/focus. If they get it correct, they have the choice of initiative.

Side note: The person with initiative moves first and shoots first. We had some confusion in our game last night, so we looked it up in the rule book.
  • Marinealver likes this

#9 Hujoe Bigs

Hujoe Bigs

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:42 PM

There is no official way to actually figure out ties for initiative. What people here are stating are just ways they find to break them. You can just flip a coin even and that would work just fine. My local area just rolls a single die, hits/crit or blank/focus called seeing as that is a 50/50 split.

How initiative works now if you win it, is that if you want the first move/shoot you can, or you can pass it to your opponent. 

Rebels: 4 X-wings, 2-Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 3 E-wings, 4 Z-95s, 1 YT-1300, 2 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290, 1 CR90, 1 GR-75 

Imperials: 5 Tie/Ln, 1 Tie/Adv, 7 Tie/In, 2 Tie/Sa, 2 Tie/D, 3 Phantoms, 1 FireSpray, 2 Lambda

#10 Jedhead

Jedhead

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:50 PM

Love rolling the single red.  I can't believe that thought never occurred to me...This will be my default in all of my games from now on.

"Much the same sort of talk can still be heard among the orc-minded; dreary and repetitive with hatred and contempt, too long removed from good to retain even verbal vigour, save in the ears of those to whom only the squalid sounds strong."  -J.R.R. Tolkien

#11 Marinealver

Marinealver

• Members
  • 808 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:37 PM

Tournaments tend to have different rules depending on the TO. At first yes the Imperial goes first but due to balancing and later waves many have decided to go by points and if even then a roll off instead of faction. The Imperial first rule is just going to get more convoluted when the 3rd faction comes out. Now if there are no imperials who goes first?

So the roll off is a single red dice. Blanks and Focus = miss or tails, Hits and Critical Hit = hits or heads. Usually one rolls and other calls hits or misses.

You can always start another round if you lost the last one.

#12 Jobu

Jobu

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:48 PM

It's usually easier to roll a single red die, and call hits (+crit) or blanks (+focuses). Less confusion, and no potential ties.

I am a proponent of doing this as well.  The one time I tried via eyeballs, we rolled the same number of eyeballs 3 times in a row.

At that point, I am usually raring to start the game, not play a long game of odds and evens.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS