off topic: let's have some fun....

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
91 replies to this topic

#81 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:03 AM

The Banquet is actually more of a proto-humanist treatise than a collection of poetry, but it does help to underscore the food related allegories that permeate the Commedia. You might also be thinking of Vita Nuova, which I never really liked. It does have my favorite poetic passage, though:

'Ecce deus fortior me, qui veniens dominabitur michi.'

Dude, just shut up.

oBzhh.gif

• Revanchist, Ribann, Corellian Corvette and 1 other like this

Rebels: 3 X-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 YT-1300

Imperials: 5 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/ADV, 1 TIE/IN, 1 Firespray-31

#82 Spaceman91

Spaceman91

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:29 AM

This was going so well too
I didn't mean for it to get this bad.

#83 Sekac

Sekac

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:55 AM

Help us Obi-mod Kenobi, you're our only hope...
  • Revanchist and Spaceman91 like this

#84 Hobojebus

Hobojebus

Tie Defender Ace

• Members
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:27 AM

Your back stories are all worse than mine I declare myself winner and as we all know on the internet that means nothing at all.

#85 Bakura83

Bakura83

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:13 AM

Well,
actually I always use Dante... DarkDante... which comes from way back in the days in school.

I was fascinated with the book "Dates Inferno" and poems in general so i started to write poems... at one point a couple of friends started to call me Dante... that stuck with me ...

BUT since we are in a "flight game" i thought it might be more useful to change it for this forum to DarkPilot.

Daaaaaah!

Man On A Wire is my FFG forum name, and is based on the Garbage song by the same name.

"Rooster" is my call sign within Phoenix Squadron locally, and is what I more commonly respond to. Because I watch over our local X-Wing scene, and because I raise hens in my backyard.

Me too Dark Pilot, and I was pleasantly surprised how well the game captured the environments after hearing so much rage against it.

ManOnAWire, have you seen Man on Wire?  I was half hoping that was your inspiration... 

#86 ryanabt

ryanabt

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:30 AM

So this post makes me depressed that I just chose my name. I usually use Kugelfang because of a bot in counterstrike that always had my number. That bot was amazing...so I stole his name.

My other name is Oatbag because my roommates thought that I liked soft drinks too much and there was a story about some guys who named their roommate oatbag for the same reason.

That said, is there a way to change my screen name on here? I wouldn't mind leaving the forum and signing up again.

#87 Revanchist

Revanchist

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:49 AM

Yay!! Michael's of the world unite!!!

My username is based on the main character from KotOR, Darth Revan. In particular his band of followers, called Revanchists. First used it when joining my very first forum, and it stuck. It tends to be a less common username as well.

In addition, a revanchist is one who seeks to retaliate, esp. to reclaim lost territory. I do not do this, but I am known on other forums as the resident troll-buster. I know how to get the trolls to show their true colors (while never crossing the troll line myself), after which the mods can take action.
  • Mikael Hasselstein and YwingAce like this
Imperial: 5 TIE/ln, 1 TIE/adv, 5 TIE/in, 1 TIE/sa, 2 TIE/d, 1 TIE/ph, 1 Firespray-31, 1 Lambda
Rebel: 3 X-wing, 1 Y-wing, 2 A-wing, 2 B-wing, 1 E-wing, 2 Z-95, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300

"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."

#88 Red Castle

Red Castle

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:58 AM

Yay!! Michael's of the world unite!!!

I'll always be envious of your name because of this guy:

Michael_Corleone.jpg

I'm a french native player so sometimes, some expressions or meanings might be lost in translation. I mean no disrespect.

#89 GreyHart

GreyHart

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:53 AM

Another Michael here. It seems we're taking over... :ph34r:

My forum name (which I use on most forums I'm on) comes from my first D&D (1st Edition wayyyy back in the mid 70s) character, Eramus Greyhart. The "grey" is becoming more and more appropriate as I get older and my hair (whats left) gets more gray, and also relates to my time in the Navy ("haze gray and underway"). "Hart" is taken from part of my mothers maiden name and the stag is a symbol of the area where my family comes from in Europe. So my forum name has multiple levels and meanings to me. Seeing as how there's about 4 Michaels (I TOLD you we were taking over!) at my FLGS, most people have taken to calling me by my forum name or just "Grey" to avoid confusion.

Imperials: TIE (10), TIE Advanced (4), TIE Defender (2), TIE Interceptor (4, +2 of ea. Ace), TIE Bomber (2), TIE Phantom (2), Firespray (2), Imperial Shuttle, Decimator - (on the Raider) "Impressive. Most impressive."
Rebels: X-Wing (4, +1 from the Rebel Transport), Y-Wing (2), A-Wing (4, +2 Ace), B-Wing (2, +2 Ace), E- Wing (2), Z-95 Headhunter (4), HWK-290 (2), Millennium Falcon, Outrider, Rebel Transport, Tantive IV - "Fly casual."

S&V: Y-Wing (2), HWK-290 (2), Firespray (2) - "I will sing to you the song of my people." <sounds of blaster fire>

#90 TheDarkPilot

TheDarkPilot

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:59 AM

The Banquet is actually more of a proto-humanist treatise than a collection of poetry, but it does help to underscore the food related allegories that permeate the Commedia. You might also be thinking of Vita Nuova, which I never really liked. It does have my favorite poetic passage, though:

'Ecce deus fortior me, qui veniens dominabitur michi.'

You might be right there.. maybe i mixed them both up...

Hey its over 20years ago... hahaha....
I have to admit that i dont know if i actually read the Vita Nuova or the Convivio... maybe?

Ha you got me... and now i feel old again.. thank you! :)

"Impressive.... MOST Impressive!"

#91 Digitalkiller

Digitalkiller

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:07 PM

I started used my nick when I used to play Quake Arena, at that time I was looking for a name to my character, and at that time I just heard a band called Ultraviolence, once of my favorites song at that time (and still is) was DigitalKilling. So because I killed my “digital friends” I started to use DigitalKiller, with the signature “I’ll delete you… byte by byte”, I changed for this forum only ;)

----------------

In a country... far... far... away

#92 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:36 PM

Your back stories are all worse than mine I declare myself winner and as we all know on the internet that means nothing at all.

I don't know, you do sound pretty convincing. I enjoy your ideas, and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS