off topic: let's have some fun....

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
93 replies to this topic

#21 slim chaney

slim chaney

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:20 AM

A good few years back a mate randomly asked me if my "heart problem was complicated". I totally missed the relevance, having not listened to Eminem, and having the surname Chaney. With his career skyrocketing quite a few workmates and friends gave me the "Slim" title. I had to create an Xbox live account to play Project Gotham on fhe original xbox and, as Mr C was taken, I went with "Slim Chaney"
:D

I found over the years that a lot of people only "get it" after they've said it aloud.

I also use the clan tag (Real) in Call of Duty, just to hammer it home.

Edited by slim chaney, 01 September 2014 - 06:21 AM.

#22 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

The Laughing Warrior

• Members
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:22 AM

My name is Joseph. The numbers and colors are two of my favorites, so Black Six is for my evil side and the Empire, Red Seven is for my good side and the Rebels.
:)

Do you giggle every time you are dealt those cards in poker?

Nah... but I do smile.
:D

I have a terrible poker face. Deal me an ace of spades and I'm gone

I just like that I know a little bit about what numbers mean. I am not good at math but I know icons and history well enough for it to be fun.

"There Is No Such Thing As Luck." BLACK SIX RED SEVEN

STAR WARS is far more than three thirty year old films. FFG intends for X-Wing to thrive, thus it will be more also... PERIOD.

ALLIANCE: [A-WING: 3][B-WING: 3][E-WING: 3][HWK-290: 2][X-WING: 6][Y-WING: 5][Z-95: 6][YT-1300: 1][YT-2400: ] EMPIRE: [TIE ADVANCED: 1][TIE BOMBER: 3][TIE DEFENDER: 3][TIE FIGHTER: 5][TIE INTERCEPTOR: 6][TIE PHANTOM: 3][DECIMATOR: ][FIRESPRAY-31: ][SHUTTLE-LAMBDA: 1] SCUM: [FIRESPRAY-31: 1][HWK-290: 3][IG-2000: ][M3-A: ][STAR VIPER: ][Y-WING: 1][Z-95: ]

#23 Spaceman91

Spaceman91

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:23 AM

Slim. Your story is simply awesome.

Edited by Spaceman91, 01 September 2014 - 06:24 AM.

• slim chaney likes this
I didn't mean for it to get this bad.

#24 AdmiralThrawn

AdmiralThrawn

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:47 AM

Admiral Thrawn is just a bad ass and I always thought he was awesome, plus the name of a tactical genius kinda fit for a dogfighting game's forum.

"Information always matters. Bad information leads to bad tactics. Incomplete information leads to flawed strategy. Both can lead to defeat."

#25 YwingAce

YwingAce

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:29 AM

I like Y-wings, I like surviving in Y-wings, aces survive.

EDIT:Slightly OT, but Thrawn, I have the same personality type as Napoleon, which leads me to believe I have the same personality type as Thrawn.

Edited by YwingAce, 01 September 2014 - 07:30 AM.

Rebel Alliance: 2 X-wings, 1 Y-wing, 1 A-wing, 1 B-wing, 1 Hwk-290, 1 Yt-1300, 1 E-wing

Imperial Navy: 4 Tie Fighters, 3 Tie Interceptors, 1 Tie Advanced, 1 Tie Bomber, 1 Lambda, 1 Firespray-31, 1 Tie Defender, 1 Tie Phantom

"Pretty, what do we blow up first?" - Wraith Squadron motto

GREEDO SHOT FIRST! *Ducks under cover*

#26 TheycamefromBEHIND

TheycamefromBEHIND

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:43 AM

Taken from ANH bc nothing came to mind

Nothing but blanks

"Gold 5 to Red Leader, lost Tiree lost Hutch....they came from BEHIND"

#27 Ravncat

Ravncat

• Members
  • 685 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:00 AM

An old inside joke.

"Ra" version number Cat

Though, there are some who prefer "Ra is a very nice cat" in light of the ra + vn + cat, few tend to connect RA with the Egyptian sun god, and this post may have changed how you pronounce my name, as most think of it as Raven cat or sometimes raving cat.

#28 Hobojebus

Hobojebus

Tie Defender Ace

• Members
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:04 AM

An old inside joke.

"Ra" version number Cat

Though, there are some who prefer "Ra is a very nice cat" in light of the ra + vn + cat, few tend to connect RA with the Egyptian sun god, and this post may have changed how you pronounce my name, as most think of it as Raven cat or sometimes raving cat.

I think of you as red R5 guy.

• Revanchist likes this

#29 Osoroshii

Osoroshii

龍神

• Members
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:22 AM

Mine comes from my Xbox live gamer tag. I originally had Kovalev as a screen name and was part of the group who picked up Xbox live on day 1. During the first few years Xbox live was a magical experience as a vast majority of people treated everyone with respect. The culture was shifting on Xbox live and the treatment to each other changed along with that Osoroshii Ryuu was born. I had learned rudimentary Japanese to talk with the Japanese players who were about half of the community in the game Steel Battalion. Having the ability to tread with the entire community I was able to broker deals between the English speaking players and the Japanese. I switched names from Kovalev to Osoroshii Ryuu strictly due to the way people were treating each other. I found by having a Japanese name people would start the rude **it talk and if I simply stayed silent they would just stop.

Osoroshii Ryuu means Terrible Dragon. Not terrible as in a scary dragon but as in bad at being a dragon. I've shortened it in my existence on the webs to just Osoroshii. I carry Osoroshii to all places I visit from BGG to Vassal.
  • PenguinBonaparte likes this

#30 BaronFel

BaronFel

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:41 AM

My standard forum name is Lepre_Khan. I thought of a number of years ago when I thought I was being terribly clever with the wordplay. I am of Irish descent and wanted to be a warlord, what else conveys that so perfectly asked my younger self.

Unfortunately, it was already taken on FFG (my younger self was not as original as he thought) and I didn't want to do a variant as I often do. Lepre is interesting, but takes too long to explain.

I had just started playing X-Wing when I signed up, and was super pumped about Soontir Fel. He was already one of my favorite EU characters and his squint with PTL is easily my favorite ship in the game. So yea. Not super brilliant, but it is fun to imagine the Baron looking and sounding like Jaime Lannister.
"I am Captain Soontir Fel. I will teach you how to fly and how to survive. If you think you know better than me, all I can teach you to do is die." - Baron Soontir Fel

#31 Samhamwich

Samhamwich

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:45 AM

Buddy was tryin to get my attention from the otherside of a train platform years ago but instead of shoutin sam he yelled ham and it evolved from there. 1st sam ham then i became the hamwich i am today
  • Spaceman91 likes this
Relax its only a game

#32 t7thunders

t7thunders

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:38 AM

The "T" in my screen name is the first letter in my actual name (Tadd)

7 Thunders comes from the dokken song.
  • MerryVulture likes this

#33 Hobojebus

Hobojebus

Tie Defender Ace

• Members
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:58 AM

The "T" in my screen name is the first letter in my actual name (Tadd)
7 Thunders comes from the dokken song.

Your names tadd...I've reported your parents to the authorities for child cruelty, hold in there champ we'll have you with foster parents just in it for the money in no time.

#34 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 751 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:49 AM

After years of being disappointed with the nicknames I was given, I came up with GroggyGolem. First use for the name: League of Legends. I use it for everything now, to make things simpler.

Rebels: 3 X-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 YT-1300

Imperials: 5 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/ADV, 1 TIE/IN, 1 Firespray-31

#35 0Dark

0Dark

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:08 AM

Zero dark is a military term for a time after midnight when it is not relevant to know the precise time eg "I'm on guard duty until zero dark"

Obviously more well known from Zero Dark Thirty, but never actually explained during the film.

I generally get home from work at Zero dark

Edited by 0Dark, 01 September 2014 - 11:08 AM.

REBEL ALLIANCE: 4x X Wing, 2x Y Wing, 2x A Wing, 2x B Wing, 1x E Wing, 2x Z95, 2x HWK, 1x YT1300, 1x GR75, 1x CR90, (Aces on pre-order)
EMPIRE: 6x TIE, 2x TIE B, 2x TIE Int, Imperial Aces, 1x TIE X1, 1x TIE P, 1x TIE D, 1x Lambda, 2x Firespray 31
SCUM: (by default) 2x Y Wing, 2x HWK, 2x Z95, 2x Firespray 31
Find, Fix, Finish

#36 Hobojebus

Hobojebus

Tie Defender Ace

• Members
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:09 AM

Zero dark is a military term for a time after midnight when it is not relevant to know the precise time eg "I'm on guard duty until zero dark"
Obviously more well known from Zero Dark Thirty, but never actually explained during the film.
I generally get home from work at Zero dark

Phew with the name and the avatar I just thought you were a proud member of the clan.

#37 Mikael Hasselstein

Mikael Hasselstein

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:32 AM

Mine goes back a ways with me. My RL name is Michael, but the full name comes from an old (and great!) Warhammer novel titled Beasts in Velvet. In that novel, Mikael Hasselstein was a politician working for the Emperor. The character's name was, however, a tongue-in-cheek reference to Michael Heseltine, who was a member of Margaret Thatcher and John Major's cabinets in the late 80s/early 90s. I enjoyed the tongue-in-cheekness of it all, and I used the name to sign up to a Warhammer Roleplay forum. I've been using the name ever since on all the hobby forums that I've been a part of.

• BaronFel likes this

#38 Bakura83

Bakura83

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:35 AM

Mine goes back a ways with me. My RL name is Michael, but the full name comes from an old (and great!) Warhammer novel titled Beasts in Velvet. In that novel, Mikael Hasselstein was a politician working for the Emperor. The character's name was, however, a tongue-in-cheek reference to Michael Heseltine, who was a member of Margaret Thatcher and John Major's cabinets in the late 80s/early 90s. I enjoyed the tongue-in-cheekness of it all, and I used the name to sign up to a Warhammer Roleplay forum. I've been using the name ever since on all the hobby forums that I've been a part of.

:blink:

I can't believe I got that right.

I thought of this the first time I saw your username but I thought: "Nah.  Just coincidence.  He's probably just some Danish guy."

Edited by Bakura83, 01 September 2014 - 11:37 AM.

#39 Mikael Hasselstein

Mikael Hasselstein

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:39 AM

I thought of this the first time I saw your username but I thought: "Nah.  Just coincidence.  He's probably just some Danish guy."

I'm Dutch, actually. Well... dual citizen.

But, how did you get that right? This is seriously obscure! Who are you??!

#40 Bakura83

Bakura83

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:41 AM

I'm Dutch, actually. Well... dual citizen.

But, how did you get that right? This is seriously obscure! Who are you??!

Spoiler

Edited by Bakura83, 01 September 2014 - 11:41 AM.

• Cremate, GroggyGolem, Digitalkiller and 2 others like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS