Shub-Niggurath questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wrath231

wrath231

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:42 AM

First, how exactly do I know when to use the monsters that have been "set-aside" for Shub? I'm assuming I use the Dark Young and Goat Spawns to spawn on Cultists during reckoning, but how about the Ghouls? I don't see what mechanism allows them to enter the board. And when the Dark Young and Goat Spawns are killed by investigators, do they go to the cup or do they get "set aside" again?

Lastly, every reckoning I also spawn an additional random monster thanks to Shub and advance the Doom counter by 2 if there are already 10 or more monsters on the board.  Doesn't this mean with some mythos cards the doom track might advance 3 or even 4 spaces in a turn (due to omen and gates + reckoning) ?

#2 johnwatersfan

johnwatersfan

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:58 AM

One of the mysteries spawns an Epic Monster that brings ghouls onto the board every time there is a reckoning.

We've played it that you set aside the Dark Young and Goat Spawn monsters when you defeat them. (Basically to make it easier so you don't have to continually search the monster cup when you have to replace the cultists.)

Yes, some Mythos phases could end up with a lot of doom track advancement. To be fair, if you're not keeping the number of gates under control you can get a lot of doom advancement even without having 10+ monsters on the board. Keep the monster level down and close those gates!

#3 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,433 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:03 AM

Shub requires a lot of monster whacking. Don't be afraid of multiple doom advance / round: IIRC, in one game played against Yig, I got a +7 doom in one single round (needless to say what the final outcome was)

As for monsters: they enter play also through "monster ambushes" triggered by Research Encounters.

Setting aside monsters can be tedious, but also helpful in some cases. Killing a set-aside monster results in the monster to be returned to the AO sheet.

You have a detailed explanation of "set aside" in the Reference Guide, pag. 10, under "Set Aside"

• Devon Greatwolf likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS