• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#41 OggDude

OggDude

I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:12 AM

Actually, I've never had an issue with players backpedaling on me.  If they need to perform a social skill, for instance, the Politico generally just steps up and does it, so there's no problem.  Same with most skills.  The players know each others strengths and weaknesses and will generally just send in the one with the appropriate skill set.  In fact, they usually jump at the chance to make a skill check.  Nary a droid walks by without the Outlaw Tech wanting to cannibalize it for parts with a Mechanics check :)

If you're having this problem, however, I just wouldn't allow them to back out of an action once they've declared it.  If someone specifically says "I'm going to sneak up and see if I can hear what they're saying", then I say "OK, make an opposed Stealth roll with one challenge and two difficulty".  I don't give them a choice, I just ask them to make the roll.  At that point, I wouldn't allow anyone to say "Oh, well, in that case, we'll have X do it because he has good stealth."  They declared the action, so they do it.  

I also wouldn't take the bait if someone started fishing for task difficulty.  If someone asks "Can I make a Charm check to [do whatever]?"  I'd say either yes or no.  If they asked "What would the difficulty be?" or "Would it be more difficult to use Charm instead of Coercion?"  I'd say "There's one way to find out, isn't there?" :)

Edited by OggDude, 09 September 2014 - 12:13 AM.

• whafrog and bradknowles like this

Oggy

Get the latest SW Character Generator and GM Tools (Version 1.3.3.0, Released 10/3/2014) 

Drop BoxManual Install  Web Install     Google DriveManual Install  Web Install

#42 Amanal

Amanal

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:34 AM

I was thinking about this and went to describe a chase where the NPC jumps a void. If the GM hands the player the same negative dice that the NPC rolled all is good. The player just picks up his Athletics pool and rolls. If the GM hand waves the NPC then he should hand wave the PC.

• Tear44 likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS