• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Castlecruncher

Castlecruncher

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:22 PM

And yet we have this: http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=5021

I'm not sure if copyright has changed, but this is definitely a PDF, and people have said that EotE is not on PDFs due to the EA copyright (only EA can make Star Wars game, and PDFs count as games).

I'm not sure if this counts as a game since it's only for planning missions, but it could definitely be used by someone who wanted to play on the computer rather than on a table, meaning it might be considered a "Video Game."

So... Am I just over thinking it, has something changed, or is there something else happening entirely? Because if copyright has changed, then it may be possible that a PDF of EotE or other books may be produced (correct me if I'm wrong, though, because I don't know too much about that: also, I'm not saying "Hurray! PDFs!," because I actually don't like PDF books).

If I am just over thinking it, than I'd like to be informed of such, because this seems big to me, and I'd rather not sit here not knowing what the hay is happening.

"Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim."

-Elie Wiesel

#2 Daeglan

Daeglan

• Members
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:30 PM

FFG cannot SELL Star Wars PDFs. They can give away some PDFs but they cannot sell them. It is a part of the license. FFG does not get to set the terms to that agreement.

• algnc, Tear44 and GMmL like this

#3 evanfardreamer

evanfardreamer

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:42 PM

FFG cannot SELL Star Wars PDFs. They can give away some PDFs but they cannot sell them. It is a part of the license. FFG does not get to set the terms to that agreement.

This was also my understanding.

• Lotr_Nerd, Tear44 and bradknowles like this

#4 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:45 PM

To me the bottom line is a whole lot of people on these forums are apparently contract and trademark lawyers whereas personally I don't know much about that stuff.

• Sannos, Lotr_Nerd, Atraangelis and 8 others like this

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#5 Simon Fix

Simon Fix

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:55 PM

I don't know much about it myself, save what's been said on these forums.  Would I like to see PDFs?  Sure!  Is it kinda a bummer they're not available?  Yup.  Is it going to matter to me in the long run?  Nah.

• Sannos, progressions, Tear44 and 1 other like this

There is no signature here.

#6 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:03 AM

It is an online resource that they are not selling. You still need the original game, which is not available as a pdf.. Much like the adventures released. I don't see the issue here.

• Lotr_Nerd, Internutt, Ghostofman and 2 others like this

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#7 R2builder

R2builder

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:44 AM

@Progressions. Um, yes the vast majority of us Forum users all have our PHD's in Physchology, Physics, Litterature, and Law! Not to mention all of our minors that we have obtained Masters in various other fields. Just because you did not not complete your higher education needs and don't have 4 PHDs, 10 Masters and 15 Bachlors is no reason to come on this forum and knock those of us that have!! Way to be behind the power curve slacker!
If you look at the landmark case of 2006 Highbrow Vs Mattel you would clearly see that this is a case of speculation, fairy dust and unicorn rainbow farts.
:)
It does seem that we have a lot of experts of various fields on here though. :)
I won't have my Masters done for about another two years yet. :( Stoopid higher learning.
  • progressions, Lotr_Nerd and Jamwes like this

Please check out our group and leave comments at: https://edge-of-the-...dianportal.com/

#8 Castlecruncher

Castlecruncher

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:21 PM

Thanks for the input. It makes sense now, saying that FFG can make PDFs but not sell PDFs.

"Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim."

-Elie Wiesel

#9 Peroxis

Peroxis

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:52 PM

Obvious reasons they would want to avoid creating PDFs if they could anyway.
A lot of people would download them thinking "I'll just see if its worth buying" or "its not out yet and I'm too curious" or "I don't want to pay $50 shipping to get a book to Australia"

#10 evileeyore

evileeyore

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:03 PM

A lot of people would download them thinking "I'll just see if its worth buying" or "its not out yet and I'm too curious" or "I don't want to pay $50 shipping to get a book to Australia"

People do this anyway. Not creating PDFs isn't even really slowing the black market down.

Creating PDFs means a few more would buy the PDFs over the print books, yes, so in the end it might not be worth it to FFG to fight for the rights. But it isn't hurting SJGames (who've put everything in pdf form they are legally allowed).
  • segara82 likes this

#11 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

• Members
  • 833 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:19 PM

doesn't take an advanced degree. Just takes some understanding of history. The license that FFG has is the same one that WotC had and probably the same that good old West End Games (WEG) had. WotC wasn't able to produce materials in PDF for sale as those were/are considered electronic gaming material and that was a different license and different division under Lucas Arts (LA) to have. For WEG that wasn't an issue since they started publishing nearly a DECADE before the commercial 'Net became widely available. WotC picked up the license shortly after financial issues hit WEG (tons of history, look it up) and even then things like PDFs weren't in the mainstream for publishing. Now, when the license comes up again for renewal (which FFG is probably already beginning negotiations about), it might be possible to get those rights added into it since LA is under new, main management (the mouse now runs the maze). So, maybe FFG will be able to start doing PDF releases like they do for their other games when the license is renewed (sometime next year after the release of F&D).

• Lotr_Nerd and Daeglan like this

#12 Daeglan

Daeglan

• Members
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:38 PM

Those of us who were following this from the WotC days had it explained to us back them by those at WotC why they could not do PDFs even though they wanted to. So when we get here we already know the drill and can explain it.

• Lotr_Nerd, Donovan Morningfire and Tear44 like this

#13 Nevermind

Nevermind

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:04 AM

Those of us who were following this from the WotC days had it explained to us back them by those at WotC why they could not do PDFs even though they wanted to. So when we get here we already know the drill and can explain it.

That aaaand you're an expert Daeglan!

#14 Daeglan

Daeglan

• Members
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:36 AM

i am an expert in many things. :) Mostly because I read and retain knowledge.

• Lotr_Nerd and Tear44 like this

#15 SavagePanda

SavagePanda

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:43 PM

@Progressions. Um, yes the vast majority of us Forum users all have our PHD's in Physchology, Physics, Litterature, and Law! Not to mention all of our minors that we have obtained Masters in various other fields. Just because you did not not complete your higher education needs and don't have 4 PHDs, 10 Masters and 15 Bachlors is no reason to come on this forum and knock those of us that have!! Way to be behind the power curve slacker!
If you look at the landmark case of 2006 Highbrow Vs Mattel you would clearly see that this is a case of speculation, fairy dust and unicorn rainbow farts.
:)
It does seem that we have a lot of experts of various fields on here though. :)
I won't have my Masters done for about another two years yet. :( Stoopid higher learning.

At least you will have tenure.

SP

PLEASE . . . Don't anger the Wookie.

my groups Obsidianportal campaign https://Shadows-On-t...idianportal.com

#16 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:55 PM

Pretty much.

Rodney Thompson spelled it out in exacting detail during one of his guest appearances on the Order 66 podcast back when it was focused on Saga Edition.  Since FFG likely doesn't have the same degree of clout that the Hasbro-backed WotC had, stands to reason that FFG would be bound by the same terms.  And in fact, I think Steve Horvath even discussed this briefly during the GenCon 2013 InFlight Report, though not in any great detail.

FFG probably had to work out a limited agreement with LucasArts to do the dice roller app, which was deemed to be cost effective enough (either on its own merits or as part of projected increase in book sales during the EotE Beta due to dice no being easily accessible) for them to go through with it.

Again, there's a lot of hope that with LucasArts no longer being a thing, that when it comes time for FFG to renew the license they'll be able to get PDF rights included with the RPG rights, but that's a "wait and see" game.

• Lotr_Nerd likes this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#17 evanfardreamer

evanfardreamer

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:15 PM

On a related vein - would it be useful for us to contact Disney/ Lucas Licensing to tell them what a great job FFG is doing with the license? I really want them to retain it and continue publishing these great, high quality products for at least another half dozen years. At that point we can see if they're scraping the barrel or continuing to wow with releases and make the decision accordingly.

#18 Daeglan

Daeglan

• Members
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:39 PM

I am pretty sure the fact that FFG is regularly selling out of product is telling them that :) Buying the product you like is the best way to tell them they are doing a good job.

• Lotr_Nerd and kaosoe like this

#19 Veruca

Veruca

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:34 PM

People do this anyway. Not creating PDFs isn't even really slowing the black market down.

Exactly. I'm sure there's shady pdf's of every SWRPG book floating around somewhere, so I don't see why FFG can release an official one. I for one enjoy reading through the actual hardcovers, but during sessions it's just so much easier to ctrl+f something in a pdf.

#20 Daeglan

Daeglan

• Members
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:47 PM

I like what Evil hat does. If you buy a book at your FLGS you can get the PDF for that book. As in their mind you already paid for the info. I forget the exact method but I know it had to do with your receipt. I would love if FFG did this. As I like reading the physical book. But carrying the many pounds of books is daunting at times.

A great way to do this is have a cryptographic hash in each book that you could use to claim your digital copy. 

Edited by Daeglan, 03 September 2014 - 03:48 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS