Can two ships collide while in hyperspace

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 cantrip

cantrip

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:23 PM

If the trajectory of two ships intersect is there a physical collision or does the entry into hyperspace place each ship in its own "Universe" so to speak.

#2 Daeglan

Daeglan

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:35 PM

Never been clear. would be really messy if it were possible.

• BrashFink likes this

#3 fatedtodie

fatedtodie

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:58 PM

If you watch the "making of" information in the movie "The One" it talks about how scientist theorize if wormholes exist or hyperspace travel exists, part of the "stretch" seen is that the space a wormhole would take up is incredibly small. Like smaller than an inch in size. So... While I assume it "could" happen, the odds are more likely you would get struck by lightning, while getting bitten by a shark, in the middle of a hurricane, and surviving.

The other theory is that you punch a hole between where you are and where you are going. In that scenario there isn't anything really in between.

Finally there is Star Trek where "warp speed" anyone can catch up if they can reach the same speed and collisions are just as possible as any other part of space.

I think you can pick and choose based on your story.

One thing about theoretical physics, is that nobody can really prove you wrong.

• Serif Marak and bradknowles like this

GM KnowledgeRhino

My group's adventure log through Edge of the Empire/Age of Rebellion stories. http://rhinospeaks.wordpress.com/

#4 Serif Marak

Serif Marak

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:04 PM

I was actually thinking about this earlier.

Keep in mind, there is nothing canon (or Legends as far as I am aware) to support this theory.

I would believe that we could assume that your matter, relative to the universe, would become stretched or thin.  This wouldn't make you impervious to external interaction, but would allow you to pass through things like small asteroids or other ships, as the case may be.  However, thin or not, you're not gonna get through a solar body.  There would be no room for your ship to pass through unscathed.  Planets or stars in your path would still kill you.

The different would be unnoticeable to the passengers, for whatever the reason may be.

What it really boils down to though is, those hyperspace lanes aren't like an interstate through South Dakota.  They are constantly packed, always holding traffic going both ways....  Eventually, two ships ARE going to pass through the same point in space at the same moment in time.  If it WERE dangerous, wouldn't it stand to reason that the on-board Navigation computer would detect another ship on an intercept course and make a slight adjustment in order to avoid collision?

Whatever excuse you come up with, it's still just plot.  If you want to come up with a reason to drop them out of hyperspace, it is just a Destiny Point away.  ^_^

• bradknowles likes this

#5 Serif Marak

Serif Marak

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:05 PM

One thing about theoretical physics, is that nobody can really prove you wrong.

Well said.

• bradknowles likes this

#6 evileeyore

evileeyore

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:12 PM

The only thing that can hit you in the Warp are the Warp Deamons.

And Space Herpes.

#7 Serif Marak

Serif Marak

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:20 PM

The only thing that can hit you in the Warp are the Warp Deamons.

And Space Herpes.

And those damn Saiyans.

#8 Roman Virtue

Roman Virtue

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:36 PM

This would probably be Legends now, but I thought there was an alien species detailed in the Ultimate Aliens Anthology (D20) that was from hyperspace? Maybe looking into that entry would shed some light as to the nature of hyperspace. :)

#9 RogueCorona

RogueCorona

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:41 PM

If it were possible for ships in hyper to collide with each other I am certain that it would have been mentioned somewhere so I personally believe that it can't happen.

• RLogue177 likes this

#10 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:43 PM

Here's the thing about physics in Star Wars. It doesn't exist!

Think of something fun and throw it in there!

• BrashFink, RLogue177, Desslok and 2 others like this

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#11 Roman Virtue

Roman Virtue

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:44 PM

Nevermind, that was Otherspace. :huh:

• awayputurwpn likes this

#12 kinnison

kinnison

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:20 PM

You can track something in hyperspace.  But space is so big that is would be nigh impossible to collide.  Even if you tried. look at the Rebel fleet how it launches.  They all stagger their jumps. is it because they are trying to avoid collisions? more then likely they want to avoid collision when the jump, and when they revert.

But for ships to collide at superluminal velocities?  If it were possible you would think there would be a lore more collisions since everyone has to stick to lanes

Check out my current Campaign:

The Minos Cluster

Last session 8/9/14 'Beyond the Rim: Prologue'

Last Update 8/22/14

#13 Joker Two

Joker Two

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:24 PM

It's probably possible, albeit highly unlikely.  The gravitational shadows of objects in normal space, even ones as astronomically small as starships, will still trigger hyperdrive failsafes to prevent collisions (this specifically happens at least once in the New Jedi Order series, as well as being implied by the existence of low-tech interdiction techniques).

The hyperdrives of one or both ships would have to be extremely poorly-maintained (or sabotaged), and even then their courses plotted with extreme precision.  Shooting a bullet out of the sky with another bullet, basically.

But for ships to collide at superluminal velocities?  If it were possible you would think there would be a lore more collisions since everyone has to stick to lanes

How many ships are "lost to causes unknown"?  Given the energies involved, there wouldn't be any detectable debris, and it would be essentially impossible for a third party to observe.  And the alternative is that they cannot collide.  Given that objects in realspace (or at least their gravitational shadows) can affect ships in hyperspace, I'd expect that objects in hyperspace could affect each other too.

And there are examples of hyperlanes being interdicted by such low-tech methods as asteroids, as well as civilian shipping being cleared from them for mass fleet movements.  Space is big, and hyperspace travel fairly reliable if you maintain your equipment and stick to well-established routes, but that equipment and those routes exist for a reason.

#14 KRKappel

KRKappel

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:08 AM

Granted, you never "Really" get a great shot of it, but you do see the hyperspace tunnel, and honestly, just by the size of the tunnel, and the fact that we kind of follow Ackbar jumping in "last," I'd rule that no, there can't be collisions between craft in hyperspace. They don't appear to occupy the same space. Plus, consider this, they jumped in formation. This means that if one ship comes out a nanosecond LATE, they are almost guaranteed to ram right into the ship that jumped ahead of them and came out in the right spot. If this was a real possibility, you'd think military naval units like this would jump in a horizontal line to prevent this as an issue (instead of a vertical line like the fleet does).

Also, Legends speaks of the concept of Mass Shadows, and sensors on the ship drop it out of hyperspace prior to any sort of collision. Of course, some ballsy smugglers (like Han) turn these safety sensors off (or alter the settings), so that they can shave some of the safety margins off to travel faster routes that cut corners. Hence his extra caution in ANH, and Luke's/Obi-Wan's concern about why it was taking so dang long to calculate.

Obviously, at your table, you can run this sort of stuff however you like best. However, that is what the lore seems to have for us.

• RLogue177, kaosoe and bradknowles like this

Official Contributor: Edge of the Empire: Suns of Fortune, Far Horizons, Age of Rebellion: GM's Kit, Stay on Target, and Force & Destiny: Core Rulebook

Follow me @KRKappel, facebook, and my author site. Co-founder Fandom Comics

#15 cantrip

cantrip

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:27 AM

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the answers

#16 Hedgehobbit

Hedgehobbit

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:33 AM

Considering that hyperspace lanes, gravity wells and failsafes are Legends now, you can pretty much decide for yourselves. 

If two ships in hyperspace get close to each other, it would be trivial for one or both to adjust their course slightly to avoid a collision. So I wouldn't think it would happen very often, if at all. 

Edited by Hedgehobbit, 01 September 2014 - 10:33 AM.

#17 KRKappel

KRKappel

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:23 PM

Hedge, that is assuming people actually FLY through hyperspace actively, which would open up human error at super high speed. Humans couldn't even podrace, but they could actively guide a ship through hyperspace? And what exactly are you doing with the navicomputer if you are steering anyway?

No, I think hyperspace is something that gets pre-programmed in, set, jumped, and the ride itself is wholly automated. Unless you are like Han, and destroy half the safety measures to coax more speed out.

• kaosoe and knasserII like this

Official Contributor: Edge of the Empire: Suns of Fortune, Far Horizons, Age of Rebellion: GM's Kit, Stay on Target, and Force & Destiny: Core Rulebook

Follow me @KRKappel, facebook, and my author site. Co-founder Fandom Comics

#18 evileeyore

evileeyore

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:14 PM

If it were possible you would think there would be a lore more collisions since everyone has to stick to lanes

I've never seen that as "has to" but as "prefers to". In that those lanes have been cleared of gravitational anomalies (rogue planets, dark matter, nonbaryonic gravitational sources, Hyperspace Dragons, etc).

I have an adventure planned where the groups will intercept a distress call from a Lane Clearer vessel and auto-drop out of hyperspace in the vicinity (which happens automatically to force passing vessels to render aid to these ships) and discover an ancient completely droid crewed vessel being besieged by Pirates seeking to steal it's technology, technology from a era almost lost to history.

#19 Hedgehobbit

Hedgehobbit

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:25 PM

Hedge, that is assuming people actually FLY through hyperspace actively, which would open up human error at super high speed. Humans couldn't even podrace, but they could actively guide a ship through hyperspace? And what exactly are you doing with the navicomputer if you are steering anyway?

You aren't flying the ship with a joystick, the navicomputer is doing the actual flying and collision avoidance.

No, I think hyperspace is something that gets pre-programmed in, set, jumped, and the ride itself is wholly automated. 

You have to be able to explain how Obi Wan follows Jango in AotC. Obi Wan had to enter hyperspace without knowing Jango's final destination.

#20 Amanal

Amanal

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:50 PM

Isn't the Straw Wars Science: You are in hyperspace and go too close to a mass you drop out of hyperspace?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS