Photo

Oicunn is cool, but I think Kenkirk and Chiraneu are better.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 JJFDVORAK

JJFDVORAK

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:02 PM

So while the notion of ramming into another ship and causing damage is cool, it is kind of hard to get off more than once. Reliably at least. In the few games I have played with the Decimator, I fly it up, use blockers, ion weapons, or just plain old maneuvering to hit someone and cause 1 damage. Great! Then I am circling around trying to get someone again and they are avoiding the Decimator at all costs. I know that the easy answer is that if the are avoiding the Decimator, then they are more predictable and easier to arc dodge, but is that worth Kenkirk's evade and Chiraneu's focus to crit shenanigans? I don't really think it is. So far I am leaning toward that line of thinking. Am I wrong or do you all agree?

#2 KommanderKeldoth

KommanderKeldoth

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:12 PM

I think it depends on the playstyle of the pilot.  Plus, some ship/ability combos need time to be 'cracked' by folks so that they find the best way to use em', like the alabaster space disaster (shuttle)

• JJFDVORAK likes this

#3 Captain Lackwit

Captain Lackwit

HWK Pilot

• Members
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:14 PM

Run a squad of Academy pilots alongside Oicunn, use them to corral the enemy into a place he can ram them.

"There's got to be a better way to make a living..." -Kyle Katarn
Resident HWK-290 Enthusiast, Trainee pilot. _\.o./_
Kills: |o| |o| |o| {o} {o} (o) >o<

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread

#4 Nyxen

Nyxen

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:14 PM

you are missing some serious upgrades that Oicunn should have: Engine Upgrade, Daredevil and a Proton Bomb. You can then bump twice, double stress, deal them a crit, and not care cause that dial's awesome.

Edited by Nyxen, 31 August 2014 - 07:14 PM.

• stegocent and JJFDVORAK like this

#5 JJFDVORAK

JJFDVORAK

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:28 PM

you are missing some serious upgrades that Oicunn should have: Engine Upgrade, Daredevil and a Proton Bomb. You can then bump twice, double stress, deal them a crit, and not care cause that dial's awesome.

How do those options make all that happen? I will admit I am not 100% sure on the intricacies of using him. Can you deal a second damage if you do not move? Like for example, I move up and bump a higher PS ship, causing 1 damage. Then because the higher PS ship has chosen a short maneuver, it cannot move at all. Then next turn I chose a 1 bank and cannot complete my move so I do not move. Do I cause a second damage? If so I might have totally changed my mind about Oicunn!

#6 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:30 PM

I imagine he's not great against some lists, but he actually penalizes higher PS pilots because you don't have to guess where they'll be in order to ram them. Additionally, you could use things like proximity mines to further penalize anyone who tries to just plow through you. He's the only pilot I can think of who isn't penalized for using his action to lay a mine instead of doing something defensive because he doesn't have any defensive options.

• JJFDVORAK likes this

#7 JJFDVORAK

JJFDVORAK

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:34 PM

I imagine he's not great against some lists, but he actually penalizes higher PS pilots because you don't have to guess where they'll be in order to ram them. Additionally, you could use things like proximity mines to further penalize anyone who tries to just plow through you. He's the only pilot I can think of who isn't penalized for using his action to lay a mine instead of doing something defensive because he doesn't have any defensive options.

I like the idea of a Proximity mine to limit a k-turn behind me as well.

#8 Zoccola

Zoccola

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:43 PM

This is the Oicunn build I was thinking about.

Oicunn + Daredevil + Engine Upgrade + Dauntless

The idea is to try to land on enemy ships. Now you cannot boost unless you can clear all ships and obstacles, but you can Daredevil onto another ship. So here is the combo.

1) Land your ship on another ship using your normal movement.

2) Enemy ship takes 1 point of damage for you crashing into it.

3) Activate Dauntless and as your free action, use Daredevil

4) You will not clear the ship you originally crashed into, thus you will crash into it again, and do another point of damage.

Because you are doing this at PS 4 you can even forgo the Engine Upgrade and eat the Daredevil damage, to add Anti Pursuit lasers. Not sure if its worth it, but you can potentially throw 3 damage into one ship that they cannot avoid, and all the while, you still have an attack to make. 

Rebels: 6 Xwing, 3 Ywings, 2 Awings, 1 YT-1300, 1 HWK, 4 Bwings, 2 Ewings, 4 Z95s

Empire: 8 TIEs, 4 Interceptors, 2 Advanced, 2 Firesprays, 2 Bombers, 1 Shuttle, 2 Phantoms, 3 Defenders

Scum: 4 Z95, 3 Ywings, 1 HWK, 2 Firesprays

#9 PenguinBonaparte

PenguinBonaparte

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:59 PM

So it's mostly a just for laughs list, but I have this weird feeling in the back of my mind that the Imperial Blockade might actually work, even if never a truly competitive option. I lost with a different version of this today, but had Mara in place of Isard. I flew my shuttles pretty poorly and took a few 4 damage shots with each. My opponent was using a maneuverable list of 3 ships, a bomber, phantom, and defender, but only the last two were on the board with 1hp each at the end. I did manage to close off enough of the board to get in 3 ramming runs with Oicunn, so maybe dropping Isard for daredevil might work, but I think she'll help keep it alive a lot longer. Mara really made him stay even further away, which was a problem,  and Isard will help with the survivability.

Oicunn (42) + Isard (4) + Dauntless (2) + Jerjerrod (2) = 50

OGP + Engine Upgrade x2

#10 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:00 AM

Replace the Engine's on the OGPs with APL and FCS and you're golden. :P

#11 Marinealver

Marinealver

• Members
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:29 AM

I really like Kenkirk in combination with Ysanne. All of a sudden the 0 agility ship now can evade attacks. It will make your opponent squirm as his 2 hits get canceled.

Edited by Marinealver, 01 September 2014 - 01:29 AM.

You can always start another round if you lost the last one.

#12 Dagonet

Dagonet

• Members
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:37 AM

I'd give Oicunn Navigator as well as Dauntless and Daredevil, for 51 points of Mechashark

Or Oicunn, Stay on Target, Dauntless, Navigator, APL

Edited by Dagonet, 01 September 2014 - 02:39 AM.

#13 PenguinBonaparte

PenguinBonaparte

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:25 AM

Replace the Engine's on the OGPs with APL and FCS and you're golden. :P

I was wanting to put those upgrades in but afraid of not getting enough shots without the engine upgrade. Have you had much luck with standard movement shuttles? Is the key being willing to disengage and come back?

#14 Bakura83

Bakura83

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:28 AM

CURSE MY WEAK EYES.

Before I put my reading glasses on I thought this topic was:

"Optimus is cool, but I think Capt.Kirk and Chihuahua are better."

And I was going to agree heartily.

• PenguinBonaparte, AngryAngel, Blail Blerg and 2 others like this

#15 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:40 AM

Now ramming could get rather nasty if you find yourself in a large entangled hairball. This would likely have to be a larger point game given the cost of the VT49. You could conceivably ram the same ship a few turns in a row.

But I think I prefer the other more defensive pilot and crew for the Vt49 seeing that it has 0 green dice.

Enimo Et Fide

#16 Nyxen

Nyxen

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:07 PM

How do those options make all that happen? I will admit I am not 100% sure on the intricacies of using him. Can you deal a second damage if you do not move? Like for example, I move up and bump a higher PS ship, causing 1 damage. Then because the higher PS ship has chosen a short maneuver, it cannot move at all. Then next turn I chose a 1 bank and cannot complete my move so I do not move. Do I cause a second damage? If so I might have totally changed my mind about Oicunn!

You bump, trigger the dauntless title to perform an action and choose Daredevil, come in at an angle so the 1 hard can't be completed and therefore bump again. If they bump you due to their maneuvre, drop the proton bomb and they pretty much have to fly through it if you line it up right.

Edited by Nyxen, 02 September 2014 - 09:08 PM.

#17 Mace Windu

Mace Windu

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:38 PM

I'd give Oicunn Navigator as well as Dauntless and Daredevil, for 51 points of Mechashark

Or Oicunn, Stay on Target, Dauntless, Navigator, APL

Dauntless and Stay on target do not play nice with each other

Rebel Freedom Fighters: 5 Z95, 4 X-Wing, 4 B-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 1 HWK 290 & 1 YT-1300

Imperial Oppressors: 5 TIE Fighter, 4 TIE Bomber, 4 TIE Interceptor, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 2 Firespray & 1 Shuttle

#18 All Shields Forward

All Shields Forward

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:33 PM

Oicunn, ruthless, Vader, Mara Jade, gunner and anti pursuit laser. This is the beast. The great devourer foretold in prophecy. Pair it with Howlrunner and two academies and you will bring ruin to your foes.
Imperial: 8 TIE Fighters, 4 TIE Interceptors, 4 181st TIE Interceptors, 4 Royal TIE Interceptors, 6 TIE Defenders, 3 TIE Phantoms, 3 TIE Bombers, 2 TIE Advanced, 2 Lambda, 1 Firespray
Rebel
: 5 X-Wings, 3 E-Wings, 5 Z-95 Headhunters, 3 A-Wings, 3 prototype A-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 3 Bloody Dagger B-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 2 Hawks, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75, 1 CR-90
Pre-Ordered 2 VT-49, 2 YT-2400, 2 Scum Y-Wings, 4 Scum Z-95s, 4 Starvipers, 6 M3-A Interceptors

#19 Blail Blerg

Blail Blerg

• Members
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:18 AM

Oicunn, ruthless, Vader, Mara Jade, gunner and anti pursuit laser. This is the beast. The great devourer foretold in prophecy. Pair it with Howlrunner and two academies and you will bring ruin to your foes.

Thats no shields forward.  That ship will die so fast, literally.  try it.  dice roll against it with whisper and 5 ties.  

ROLL RED, STAY THIRSTY FRIENDS. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS