• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 naleax

naleax

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

Can someone please help me.

Looking at the map in the core book i see that most planets are connected by a white line or a colored line. I'm assuming that the white lines are established hyperspace lanes. So if one is going to travel from one planet to another that is connected by one of these lanes, it's normally an easy astrogation check.

I don't see any mention in the core book what the difficulty is for traveling between planets that are not connected by a hyperspace lane. Is this possible and if so, what is the difficulty. Is it GM's discretion?

Also, if a planets or lanes data is not in the navicomputer, can the jump still be made, and if so what is the difficulty? GM's discretion again?

Naleax

#2 Serif Marak

Serif Marak

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:11 AM

Oh no, it's mentioned.  Give me a minute to find it again.

EDIT1

Okay, some of this is from the book, the rest is kind of just a guide that I tend to use.

Hyperspace Lane with no modifiers: 1P

Quick calculations or under duress: +1P

Bad navigation data: +1P

Ship lightly damaged: +1P

Ship heavily damaged: +2P

From there, I would recommend using the Hyperspace travel times chart as increased difficulty modifiers.

Within a sector: 1R

Within a region: 2R

Between regions: 3R

Across the galaxy: 4R

Beyond that, feel free to add in some other modifiers.

In an asteroid field: +1Blk

Passing through electromagnetic field: +1Blk or Dark Side token it and pull them out of Hyperspace

Don't limit yourself to this.  There's a lot of options available.

P=Purple

R=Red

Blk=Black

Edited by Serif Marak, 31 August 2014 - 11:23 AM.

• whafrog likes this

#3 naleax

naleax

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:23 AM

Okay, some of this is from the book, the rest is kind of just a guide that I tend to use.

From there, I would recommend using the Hyperspace travel times chart as increased difficulty modifiers.

Withing a region: 2R

P=Purple

R=Red

Blk=Black

Can the jump be made without a hyperspace lane though? And can the jump be made if the lane or planet data is not in the navicomputer?

#4 Serif Marak

Serif Marak

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:26 AM

P=Purple

R=Red

Blk=Black

Can the jump be made without a hyperspace lane though? And can the jump be made if the lane or planet data is not in the navicomputer?

3P for the base, add 2 setback for not knowing where they are, and increase the difficulty depending on how far away they are trying to go.

#5 RedfordBlade

RedfordBlade

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

P=Purple

R=Red

Blk=Black

Yes, you can make the jump without an existing lane. Hyperspace lanes just represent particularly well-traveled, well-mapped, and stable routes between different star systems, sort of like a highway on Earth. Anyone who needs to travel to out-of-the-way star systems can still go there, it just will take a bit more navigating, like following back roads to get somewhere on Earth.

If the star system you want to visit isn't in the navicomputer, that makes it more difficult to reach, but not impossible. Serif Marak gives some good suggestions for possible difficulties. An Earth example might be trying to drive or walk around a city block, looking for a certain building; you know it is there, you just don't know the address.

• Serif Marak likes this

#6 Serif Marak

Serif Marak

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:01 PM

Yes, you can make the jump without an existing lane. Hyperspace lanes just represent particularly well-traveled, well-mapped, and stable routes between different star systems, sort of like a highway on Earth. Anyone who needs to travel to out-of-the-way star systems can still go there, it just will take a bit more navigating, like following back roads to get somewhere on Earth.

If the star system you want to visit isn't in the navicomputer, that makes it more difficult to reach, but not impossible. Serif Marak gives some good suggestions for possible difficulties. An Earth example might be trying to drive or walk around a city block, looking for a certain building; you know it is there, you just don't know the address.

Good examples.

#7 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:20 PM

It might also require multiple jumps, depending on ... (insert plot here) ...

#8 Serif Marak

Serif Marak

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:24 PM

It might also require multiple jumps, depending on ... (insert plot here) ...

Plot:
Flipping a destiny point to drop an electromagnetic storm right in front of their path.

A threat on their roll causing their hyperdrive to fail along the way.

A despair causing their ships power grid to fail, leaving them without even life support.

#9 OverMatt

OverMatt

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:53 PM

All of the above is basically correct; although to clarify, traveling off of established hyperspace lanes isn't merely like traveling back roads.  Back roads are still roads, and they will still guide you to your destination reliably (albeit usually less quickly and efficiently).

Leaving the hyperspace lanes is more accurately thought of as traveling overland, off of any roads whatsoever.  It's akin to setting off across a trackless plain or desert, with nothing but a compass bearing or a set of destination coordinates to guide you.

As such, it's very easy to get lost if there is even a small error in the hyperspace calculations.  Also, even if you successfully stay on course, you probably have no idea what you'll encounter along the way since there are probably few if any maps of the intervening space (and any maps you do dig up are probably years out of date).

• progressions, whafrog, RedfordBlade and 1 other like this

#10 naleax

naleax

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:13 AM

Thanks for all the good replies. Appreciate the help.

#11 Josep Maria

Josep Maria

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:11 AM

Also remember the SW factor: The Plot Speed XD

Be brave and listen to your heart.

6,001 Profile Views. 305 Likes.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS