Photo

Anything better than Vassal Xwing in the pipeline?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Samhamwich

Samhamwich

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:52 PM

An online version for me would have to look pretty I'll always remember the first time I played empire at war and a y-wing ioned my star destroyer, pain in the ass for my invasion but undeniablly pretty especially with the sound effects
Relax its only a game

#42 Trajan1

Trajan1

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:44 PM

I, for one, would love to see an online version. I spend most of my time on the road and would love to be able to play while I'm sitting in a hotel.

Edited by Trajan1, 02 September 2014 - 06:44 PM.

#43 Radarman5

Radarman5

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:40 PM

I'm pretty happy with vassal, it's improved a ton over the past year. Even though I don't use it a lot it gives me a chance to play with a really wide range of players, otherwise my choices are one friend who is really great, but goes with very similar squads which gets repetitive, or my LGS which has all new, and pretty inexperienced players.

I also find vassal to be a lot more accurate for dealing with overlapping ships, firing arcs, and range than a physical game. 

• AlexW likes this

EMPIRE: 5 TIE Fighters, 4 TIE Bombers, 4 TIE Interceptors, 1 TIE Defender, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Advanced, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 2 Firesprays

REBEL: 2 A-Wings, 1 B-Wing, 3 X-Wings, 1 HWK-290, 1 CR-90, 1 GR-75

SCUM & VILLAINY: 2 Firesprays, 1 HWK-290

#44 period3

period3

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:00 PM

By 'online version', do you mean a browser version, or a downloadable version that enables multiplayer play over the internet?

#45 Darthfish

Darthfish

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:18 PM

I have downloaded vassal 2 or 3 times. I need to bite the bullet and actually play a game on it now. I am very grateful for those who have put in the time to make it work, as there is a very limited community (me) where I live.  I need to get some games in.

All that is required for evil to prevail, is that good men do nothing. - Thomas Jefferson

#46 sozin

sozin

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:52 PM

Ah, X-Wing on Vassal, how I love thee, let me count the ways:

• I get to play some of the best players in the World.  Oh, hey pheaver, up for a game?  Cool!
  • It looks SEXAH.  I mean, look at the Decimator.  JUST LOOK AT IT!  The maps!  The range enabled asteroids!  
  • It plays smooth.  All the work that's gone into the user interface make simple and fun to use.  Granted, bumping sucks, but it sucks in real life too.
  • Epic play!
  • Pixel perfect!

overflow.png

Tremendous props to mu0n and his crew for their incredible work.

Edited by sozin, 03 September 2014 - 12:53 PM.

• Veldrin, AlexW and Radarman5 like this

#47 EvilEd209

EvilEd209

• Members
  • 538 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:13 PM

Bottom line I think an 'official' online version of X-Wing will never see the light of day.  Not when 1/3 of FFG sales last year was X-Wing Miniatures. 

I believe that FFG 'tolerates' Vassal but does not indorsed it.  Nor should it.  It is a great tool, but should not replace the on the table experience of the game.  And this is from an active Vassal Player. 

I however only ever fly what I own on Vassal.  Call me crazy...

• Radarman5 likes this

Host
NOVA Squadron Radio
"Your home for competitive and tactical discussion on the X-Wing Miniatures Game" 
www.novasquadronradio.com

#48 Radarman5

Radarman5

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:18 PM

Bottom line I think an 'official' online version of X-Wing will never see the light of day.  Not when 1/3 of FFG sales last year was X-Wing Miniatures. 
I believe that FFG 'tolerates' Vassal but does not indorsed it.  Nor should it.  It is a great tool, but should not replace the on the table experience of the game.  And this is from an active Vassal Player. 
I however only ever fly what I own on Vassal.  Call me crazy...

Same here. The only times I've used more ships or upgrades than I actually own is if I want to see if it's worth buying more of a certain ship.

EMPIRE: 5 TIE Fighters, 4 TIE Bombers, 4 TIE Interceptors, 1 TIE Defender, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Advanced, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 2 Firesprays

REBEL: 2 A-Wings, 1 B-Wing, 3 X-Wings, 1 HWK-290, 1 CR-90, 1 GR-75

SCUM & VILLAINY: 2 Firesprays, 1 HWK-290

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS