Photo

Anything better than Vassal Xwing in the pipeline?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 s1n

s1n

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:25 PM

X-wing on Vassal works just fine. Thanks to Mu0n for all of his hard work!

I dare say it does but there never seems to be anyone online, well; maybe 1 or 2 games.

Maybe i just need to find someone with the patience of a saint to show me what to do :D

If you ever see me online, I'll gladly show you.

#22 Nickotine42

Nickotine42

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

X-wing on Vassal works just fine. Thanks to Mu0n for all of his hard work!

I dare say it does but there never seems to be anyone online, well; maybe 1 or 2 games.
Maybe i just need to find someone with the patience of a saint to show me what to do :D

If you ever see me online, I'll gladly show you.

s1n is a great teacher.

#23 markcsoul

markcsoul

• Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:17 PM

Vassal is a great alternative to real games, but a fully automated online game would definitely be fun.

Some things can really slow vassal games down, most notably ship crashes and having to manually reposition the ships.  Having something like that automated would be awesome.

• Osoroshii likes this

REBEL: 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 3 X-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 1 Z-95, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75

IMPERIAL: 1 Advanced, 1 Bomber, 2 Defenders, 3 Fighters, 3 Interceptors, 1 Phantom, 2 Firesprays, 1 Shuttle

SCUM: TBD

#24 Osoroshii

Osoroshii

龍神

• Members
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:28 PM

I also think an accessible, fun to play online version increases the retention factor in this game. I've had many people tell me that vassal "kept" them in the game between their real bouts in LFGS, since they were unable to go out and find games, for all sorts of reasons: lack of a group, newborn baby, to cite 2 examples.
When any board or tactical game doesn't hit the table even once during long months, it tends to be sold away.

I fully admit vassal isn't the best possible implementation of online X-Wing but it *has* improved in the last year in terms of player aides, reduction of fidliness through auto-movements and there's a jumpstart guide http://s93768914.onlinehome.us/xwing/ that you can consult. If you have any suggestion for additional entries for it, feel free.

So far, I'm aware of 2 different projects for a online X-Wing replacement. One started in January, one started in August, both of this year. I haven't seen any news or progress shots on them so far. If a good platform crops up, I'll be the first to jump ship and finally return to just playing and enjoying the game.

One feature I would love to see is auto bump. The only thing left to fiddle with is when you bump and try to obtain the correct position.

#25 Conandoodle

Conandoodle

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:06 AM

I have heard a lot about vassal. I downloaded it, played it. But it is just too daunting and cumbersome. Even a watered down version (similar to warhammer quest - an online version of the 1990s hero quest) would be great.
  • zathras23 and Asmodi like this

I'm a noob ..please be gentle.

#26 Bipolar Potter

Bipolar Potter

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:49 AM

They simply don't have any rights for electronic distribution. I know this for a fact because they confirmed it when everyone over in the Edge of the Empire RPG forums was clamoring for pdf's and one of the devs flat out said they didn't have the rights. Something about how PDF's fall under digital media and they couldn't pay the licensing fees. Now of course this might change when they have to renegotiate the Star Wars IP next year. But we'll see.

What harm did you ever receive from facts, to make you fear them so?

#27 Marinealver

Marinealver

• Members
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:08 AM

Please, no. An online version would hurt the offline community. If I want to play a game like this on my tablet I'll play Sid Meiers Ace Patrol or Pacific Skies.

To be honest while I have seen vassal and tried a little with Warhammer and I really don't enjoy it that much. The computer screen version of Miniatures just doesn't have the feeling of authenticity that playing with real miniatures on the table top has. Not saying that vassal doesn't have its place as it does allow you to play with other players who may be far away or find matches when there are no physical players around. Also it has a little more convenience with the dice rolling and movement of ships without bumping and having dice roll off the table. But an online game can never really replace a physical miniatures game, even if it is the exact copy.

Now with an online game for one it will not be the same (it could not be the same) such as the same way Warmachine tactics is different from Warmachine table top. I could see a future videogame adaptation that completly modify the way it is played such as having adjustable sliders instead of solid templates where you can move between a 2 and 3 bank instead of a solid 2 or 3 bank and with moving asteroids and obstacles. However with those changes in the end it will be a different game all together and will not replace the miniatures.

Edited by Marinealver, 01 September 2014 - 02:08 AM.

• Krankenstein likes this

You can always start another round if you lost the last one.

#28 DreadStar

DreadStar

• Members
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:23 AM

Vassal has never been a substitute, it's more like methadone.

I would like to know why do you think it would hurt the offline community, if an online version would be released? Most people who play miniature games do it already for the:

- Social aspect,  face / face interaction or social events.

- Physical miniatures.

- Tabletop gaming.

None of those would be hurt slightly one bit by an online version. People won't suddenly find it a pure substitute, but a tool to work with. If only, it would be a wonderful marketing maneuver to get those who don't care that much about miniatures and getting into the game.

• Marinealver and Krankenstein like this

#29 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

Pending Forum Submission

• Members
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:47 AM

Please, no. An online version would hurt the offline community. If I want to play a game like this on my tablet I'll play Sid Meiers Ace Patrol or Pacific Skies.

I do wish they would make a x-wing game based off of ace patrol. Such a good game.
I have ships,
Pew Pew Pew

#30 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

Pending Forum Submission

• Members
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:57 AM

I had hopes that FFG would build a engi and run it off of their site, as I thought at first glance the mission builder was. I really don't think it would damage the offline community. Nothing puts having the models in your hand and pushing a ship around the table. But for someone like me who is avg 1 game a month now I would love a mobile version of x-wing that I could play on the go.
So sad I dropped out of programing at basic.

Edited by Cubanboy, 01 September 2014 - 06:58 AM.

• BaronFel likes this
I have ships,
Pew Pew Pew

#31 YwingAce

YwingAce

• Members
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:00 AM

#X-wing #Tie-Fighter #X-wing Vs. Tie-Fighter #X-wing Alliance

Rebel Alliance: 2 X-wings, 1 Y-wing, 2 A-wing, 2 B-wing, 1 Hwk-290, 1 Yt-1300, 1 E-wing, 1 Yt-2400
Imperial Navy: 4 Tie Fighters, 3 Tie Interceptors, 1 Tie Advanced, 1 Tie Bomber, 1 Lambda, 1 Firespray-31, 1 Tie Defender, 1 Tie Phantom, 1 VT-49 Decimator
"Pretty, what do we blow up first?" - Wraith Squadron motto
GREEDO SHOT FIRST! *Ducks under cover*

#32 Mu0n

Mu0n

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:18 AM

Whenever I feel I have to put my ego in check, this thread is waiting for me on a sunny day.

X[5]  Y[4]  A[5]  B[5]  H[3]  E[2]  Z[6]   YT-1300[2] GR-75 CR90

F[7]  A[2]  I[6]  B[5]  P[2]  D[3]  FS-31[2]  λ[2]

#33 WargameHub

WargameHub

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:15 AM

I would play this on iPad a lot.  Just to test new setups against AI before a tournament would be great. 

Member: NH Wargamers Alliance

Empire: (4) Royal Guard Tie Interceptors, (4) Sabre Squadron Tie Interceptors, (4) Tie Interceptors, (8) Tie Fighters, (1) Tie Advanced, (3) Tie Bomber, (3) Lambda, (1) Firespray, (3) Tie Defender, (3) Tie Phantom

Rebels: (5) X-wing, (6) B-wing, (2) Y-wing, (3) A-wing, (1) HWK-290, (1) YT-1300, (4) E-wing, (1) Z-95

(1) Rebel Transport, (1) Tantive IV

#34 Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:53 AM

Then play around with the interface and the Mormons.

I'm not familiar with Vassal (and I assume this was an auto-complete error), but I'm intrigued by the idea of Mormons in the program... do they get special ships/upgrades? If so, count me in!

"He who takes offense when no offense was intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense was intended is usually a fool."

#35 Azul

Azul

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:57 PM

My biggest problem with vassal is that you are working on two separate skillsets.  You still learn a lot of strategy and list building, but the board sizes are so different.  You learn to see things in Vassal dimensions which doesn't help as much when you are sitting down at a normal sized board.  Obviously, it will help a little bit, but not as much as just playing in the normal dimensions.

I just need to find a way to get a 3' x 3' monitor...

#36 AlexW

AlexW

• Members
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:46 PM

Whenever I feel I have to put my ego in check, this thread is waiting for me on a sunny day.

Please ignore this thread.   Sometimes people don't think about or have the proper appreciation for the efforts that go into making a game work in Vassal, nor do some have an understanding of how important it has been in the development and growth of the game.   Thanks for all your hard work.

• Darthfish, Rinehart and Radarman5 like this

#37 AlexW

AlexW

• Members
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:15 PM

My biggest problem with vassal is that you are working on two separate skillsets. You still learn a lot of strategy and list building, but the board sizes are so different. You learn to see things in Vassal dimensions which doesn't help as much when you are sitting down at a normal sized board. Obviously, it will help a little bit, but not as much as just playing in the normal dimensions.

I just need to find a way to get a 3' x 3' monitor...

If you don't use the underlying principles behind the relative distances in the game and simply think of each move as independent of anything else in the game, I could see how Vassal wouldn't be helpful. However, if you know those underlying principles, the "skillsets" you discuss are transferable because they are, in fact, exactly the same.

Edited by AlexW, 01 September 2014 - 02:17 PM.

#38 Mu0n

Mu0n

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:24 PM

Vassal dimensions? I made sure they were close to the same as the tabletop dimensions.

Small ship side is 40 mm, or 113 pixels.
The 3x3 map is 3 feet or 914.4 mm or 2583.18 pixels. The maps in vassal are exactly 2583 x 2583 pixels. I spent around 30 hours correcting the movements and the templates for v4.6.0. Really curious to know what the expression "vassal dimensions" mean and how they're so different from the real game

edit: I think I got it, but yeah, I find relative dimensions based on the small ship plastic base is a skill that is equally useful and transferable for both ways of playing.

Edited by Mu0n, 01 September 2014 - 02:33 PM.

#39 Osoroshii

Osoroshii

龍神

• Members
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:51 PM

I would always prefer to set up a table and play with my ships. I, like most of us, would love to play more often then we get the chance to. Vassal helps fill in those spots where its not possible to get a game in. I would love to show people how to play and set up vassal. it's very good if you have two people who are familiar with the hot keys. 

Muno, another feature that would help but I'm unsure if this would lead to problems is a text edit field for the pilot cards and upgrade cards. this way the user can fill in the information. 

#40 Mu0n

Mu0n

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:01 PM

You can already sort of do this with Pieces/Mission and the 3 differently sized text fields. The text won't be in the card itself, but it can be close enough.

I will discourage releasing template logs that have all the info filled in for all cards as part of the vassal module download page for obvious reasons.

Also, regarding collisions, I can't even comprehend the sketchy vassal documentation to integrate one single paltry simpleton java function to do anything inside a module element, let alone decipher what the object structure is in the module in the java background. I don't think collision auto-management is a possibility unless you directly ask one of the creators of vassal, and it'd be a formidable mathematical-programmatical problem EVEN THEN.

Edited by Mu0n, 01 September 2014 - 05:01 PM.

• Osoroshii likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS