Photo

Anything better than Vassal Xwing in the pipeline?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Asmodi

Asmodi

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:24 AM

I just think FFG are missing a boat here.

Imagine all the players in the world being able to link up and play and i dont believe it will affect the status quo. If anything it might make it more popular.

I know Vassal is out there but its just too cumbersome.

Is there anything in the pipeline reguarding an online version?

• Swedge, Joe Boss Red Seven and Vimnock like this

#2 Dagonet

Dagonet

• Members
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:32 AM

Please, no. An online version would hurt the offline community. If I want to play a game like this on my tablet I'll play Sid Meiers Ace Patrol or Pacific Skies.

• Shocker likes this

#3 simple31

simple31

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:06 AM

I'm not sure it would hurt the community, in fact a faithful representation may well grow the player base. As an analogy I'd never considered any of the card games until I got Magic as a free download for Xbox; played it, enjoyed it, week after I had to have the physical product and have been buying since!

Would be great to test squads against a range of AI builds.
  • Disgruntled likes this

#4 godofcheese

godofcheese

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:35 AM

Magic: Online has enhanced the community. I would expect X-Wing: Online - If it learned from what MTGO has gotten right and has gotten wrong - to do the same thing.

#5 eagle1361

eagle1361

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:41 AM

While I think it could be a great thing, I'm not sure it makes sense from a business perspective. However, FFG does seem to worry less about pure profit than other game companies, so they might actually consider an online version of X-wing.

#6 Qapla187

Qapla187

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:44 AM

As long as I don't have to re-purchase my collection I'm all for it.

Oh and an iOS version too. X-wing on the iPad would be sweet!
  • kujoe1988 likes this
:>¡<: X-wing x6, Y-wing x3, TIE Fighter x6, TIE Advanced x3, A-wing x4, YT-1300 x2, TIE Interceptor x9,
Firespray-31 x3, B-wing x4, HWK-290 x2, TIE Bomber x6, Lambda Shuttle x2, E-wing x3, Z-95 x4, TIE Defender x3, TIE Phantom x2, GR-75 x2, CR-90 x1

Perish quickly you will, if without Push, an A-wing you fly.

#7 period3

period3

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:58 AM

FFG probably isn't licensed to produce an electronic version of x-wing.

While I think it could be a great thing, I'm not sure it makes sense from a business perspective. However, FFG does seem to worry less about pure profit than other game companies, so they might actually consider an online version of X-wing.

• Bipolar Potter and DigitalChicanery like this

#8 Azul

Azul

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:23 AM

It might hurt things a little bit, but I kind of doubt it.

I really think it would get more players into the game.  The ones that come from really small communities that either lack an LGS or a sufficient player base will suddenly be able to play.  Pro Players will be able to practice more, and a love of the Online game might get some people in to the tabletop version.  Anyone who has played some couch co-op videogames will know that it's a lot more fun to sit down with a couple of friends, crack some beers, and play from the comfort of your own living room.  Playing with a bunch of random guys online isn't nearly as cool.

#9 Fuertuvius

Fuertuvius

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:32 AM

Yes, definitely, an online version would not hurt the Board game. If I can, I play with the models n the table of course. But it would be nice if I could play with friends which life hundreds kilometres away.
  • BaronFel and Vimnock like this

#10 Mu0n

Mu0n

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:42 AM

I also think an accessible, fun to play online version increases the retention factor in this game. I've had many people tell me that vassal "kept" them in the game between their real bouts in LFGS, since they were unable to go out and find games, for all sorts of reasons: lack of a group, newborn baby, to cite 2 examples.

When any board or tactical game doesn't hit the table even once during long months, it tends to be sold away.

I fully admit vassal isn't the best possible implementation of online X-Wing but it *has* improved in the last year in terms of player aides, reduction of fidliness through auto-movements and there's a jumpstart guide http://s93768914.onlinehome.us/xwing/ that you can consult. If you have any suggestion for additional entries for it, feel free.

So far, I'm aware of 2 different projects for a online X-Wing replacement. One started in January, one started in August, both of this year. I haven't seen any news or progress shots on them so far. If a good platform crops up, I'll be the first to jump ship and finally return to just playing and enjoying the game.

Edited by Mu0n, 31 August 2014 - 08:43 AM.

• Veldrin, Osoroshii and Rinehart like this

X[5]  Y[4]  A[5]  B[5]  H[3]  E[2]  Z[6]   YT-1300[2] GR-75 CR90

F[7]  A[2]  I[6]  B[5]  P[2]  D[3]  FS-31[2]  λ[2]

#11 Asmodi

Asmodi

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

Do you have links for these projects Mu0n?

#12 hackshot

hackshot

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:36 AM

I just think FFG are missing a boat here.

Imagine all the players in the world being able to link up and play and i dont believe it will affect the status quo. If anything it might make it more popular.

I know Vassal is out there but its just too cumbersome.

Is there anything in the pipeline reguarding an online version?

The best part for FFG is they could make you register your ships with your proof of purchases. If there's a "purchase code" on them (haven't looked close enough) it's a veritable gold mine for them just waiting to happen.

#13 hackshot

hackshot

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:39 AM

Please, no. An online version would hurt the offline community. If I want to play a game like this on my tablet I'll play Sid Meiers Ace Patrol or Pacific Skies.

Making something more accessible across several platforms has never decreased sales of that something in history, It also lets you get comfortable with the rules and how ships move before you actually go out and find someone to play against, which (again, just anecdotal evidence) appears to be the largest barrier to entry for -every- game.

#14 Mu0n

Mu0n

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:26 AM

Do you have links for these projects Mu0n?

Nope.

X[5]  Y[4]  A[5]  B[5]  H[3]  E[2]  Z[6]   YT-1300[2] GR-75 CR90

F[7]  A[2]  I[6]  B[5]  P[2]  D[3]  FS-31[2]  λ[2]

#15 LordVogl

LordVogl

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

X-wing on Vassal works just fine. Thanks to Mu0n for all of his hard work!

• Rinehart likes this

#16 Asmodi

Asmodi

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:15 AM

I dare say it does but there never seems to be anyone online, well; maybe 1 or 2 games.

Maybe i just need to find someone with the patience of a saint to show me what to do :D

#17 oneway

oneway

Imperial Bomber Pilot

• Members
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:35 AM

I think a user friendly on line version would be a great idea. Since I've been on this site I've heard far too many players say they have been reluctant to jump in due to lack of local players. An on line global game format would help many of those players.

I haven't played on Vassel, but I hear good things about it. The benefit to FFG might be on line tourneys that they could get a global participation for. Maybe even a true World championship. The possibilities are endless.. regional tourneys that actually include a larger sampling of the region.

Edited by oneway, 31 August 2014 - 11:36 AM.

"I mean, come on kid, my armor's older than you are.."

"Hahaha. Very funny, at least I only hit the enemy target, Ya collateral bastard."

Corp. Haig Talin, MK - 472

Armor 18 - Fire - N - Ice 181st Mechanized Armor Assault Div

#18 Nickotine42

Nickotine42

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:57 AM

I dare say it does but there never seems to be anyone online, well; maybe 1 or 2 games.
Maybe i just need to find someone with the patience of a saint to show me what to do :D

I'm new to vassal. I would download and install all of the pieces you need. Spend 30-45 minutes building a squad. That takes the longest in the beginning. Make sure you save it. Then play around with the interface and the Mormons. There is a handy quick reference in game. Play one game and you'll be set. There learning curve isn't all that steep. By about the 4th game you'll have hot keys down and be moving much faster. But if you read up and play one game with someone teaching you, you'll be set for the next one. Then you'll spend the downtime building squads. And watching games. I would highly recommend it to everyone. The quality of play is higher than my locals. I'll be a better player because of it.

#19 Swedge

Swedge

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:23 PM

on line or even better make it SOLO playable as well...  for those of us that just want to try different set ups and lack a proper gaming community in the local area....  

• WargameHub and Samhamwich like this

anybody in the Sumter S.C. area???

#20 s1n

s1n

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:23 PM

FFG probably isn't licensed to produce an electronic version of x-wing.

Oh yeah, were you in the negotiations they had with Disney? If I recall, everyone kept screaming they didn't have an EU license or prequel license. Turns out they did. Everyone also said that they didn't have the rights to make SW board games either. Turns out they had that too.

So do you know anything else they've done behind closed doors?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS