32 replies to this topic

#1 UncleArkie

UncleArkie

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:06 AM

In case you hadn't noticed or heard of it due to the Battle Front chatter

http://www.polygon.c...games-star-wars

Now if you don't know Amy Hennig she is a "grey beard" in the video games industry and should be mentioned in the same breath as Sid Mayer and Peter MolywhatshisfaceIcantspellthatlastname.

What she does is open world games, she's the mother of open world games. Could this mean a SW open world single player RPG, the chatter in the games industry seems to think so. :D

• progressions and Josep Maria like this

#2 Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:27 AM

As much as I'd like to get excited for this, it's still going to be EA, which typically means dealing with Origin, always online DRM, Day 1 DLC, "micro-transactions" and an emphasis on multiplayer to the point where single player feels like a tacked-on afterthought.

I'd love to be wrong. In fact, I'd love for this to be our first hint of a massive, well-written, open-world single-player RPG set in the Star Wars universe, (I'd take a well-written modern reboot of the X-Wing series too, for that matter!) but at this point, the announcement of another Star Wars game being published by EA makes me feel about as excited as the idea of a new Star Wars RPG by Wizards of the Coast.

• gribble, EldritchFire, Ghostofman and 4 others like this

CorellianCrafts.com is now live! Be sure to check it out for hand-made Star Wars dice bags and accessories!

#3 Revanchist7

Revanchist7

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:20 PM

I'd rather have Legacy of Kain: Skywalker.

Or more likely 1313 as that was already Uncharted: Boba's Fortune

I'm convinced that you're from Mars

#4 Rakaydos

Rakaydos

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

If it's EA, I probably wont touch it.

• ayures likes this

#5 evileeyore

evileeyore

• Members
  • 763 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

If it's EA, I probably wont touch it.

This.

Wait... hang on a sec...

Okay, I'm back. EA has published a handful of good games over the last 35 years... M.U.L.E., Bard's Tale, American McGee's Alice, Wasteland, System Shock 1 & 2, Syndicate and Syndicate Wars, Dungeon Keeper, SM's Alpha Centuari, etc, etc... I think they also published Crysis.

So... while I kneejerkingly agree (you have no idea how much I hate SW:TOR) it might (depending on the developer) be good.
  • UncleArkie likes this

#6 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:17 PM

I'd love to be wrong. In fact, I'd love for this to be our first hint of a massive, well-written, open-world single-player RPG set in the Star Wars universe, (I'd take a well-written modern reboot of the X-Wing series too, for that matter!) but at this point, the announcement of another Star Wars game being published by EA makes me feel about as excited as the idea of a new Star Wars RPG by Wizards of the Coast.

Yeah, have to say I miss the days of good single player games.  I get that they're trying to control their revenue streams, but the MMO experience isn't for me...which means they get no money from me at all.

• Maelora and ayures like this

#7 Amanal

Amanal

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:05 PM

Okay, I'm back. EA has published a handful of good games over the last 35 years... M.U.L.E., Bard's Tale, American McGee's Alice, Wasteland, System Shock 1 & 2, Syndicate and Syndicate Wars, Dungeon Keeper, SM's Alpha Centuari, etc, etc... I think they also published Crysis.

What Battle Chess gets no lovin'? :D :D :D

#8 evileeyore

evileeyore

• Members
  • 763 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

What Battle Chess gets no lovin'? :D :D :D

It's not sitting on my shelf...

#9 Amanal

Amanal

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:03 PM

Just looked it up and it isn't EA either.

#10 ayures

ayures

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:58 PM

Just looked it up and it isn't EA either.

Yes it is. Visceral is owned by EA. EA is the only publisher licensed to release SW games right now thanks to Disney.

Edited by ayures, 01 September 2014 - 12:12 AM.

#11 Amanal

Amanal

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:28 AM

Sorry mate, I am the cause of confusion, Battle Chess wasn't EA.

#12 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,034 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:29 AM

I'll wait and see.

Admittedly, the recent crop of Star Wars video games just haven't been my interest, with the last one I bought being Force Unleashed.  Then again, I did like Dragon Age: Origins, which was a BioWare/EA game, so if this new Star Wars game is something along those lines, or even along the lines of the KOTOR games, then I might be interested.

• kaosoe likes this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#13 UncleArkie

UncleArkie

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:38 AM

I have some hopes, working in the games industry for years I've had the opportunity to meet some of the visceral people and they seem to "get it" and have made some pretty decent games, add Amy Hennig to this mix and it gets interesting. 

If it is 1313 Uncharted: Boba Fett edition I'd be happy, but I'm pretty sure that with Battle Front being the shooty, shooty the mouse house will probably not want them to overlap too much. I'm hopeful that it might be something KotOR like, that said I don't think that it will be set in the Old Republic (* Disclaimer, from here on in this is conjecture and peculation). Reason being that Disney seems to be focusing on the Rebellion and what comes after, the new comics by Marvel are set in this time period, the new movies, these RPG's all seem to be very "traditional" and while EA are involved, it's just as a distributor.

So fingers crossed.

Edited by UncleArkie, 01 September 2014 - 07:38 AM.

#14 EldritchFire

EldritchFire

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:13 AM

So... while I kneejerkingly agree (you have no idea how much I hate SW:TOR) it might (depending on the developer) be good.

What, no Command & Conquer series on your shelf?

-EF

• kaosoe likes this

#15 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:21 AM

I did like Dragon Age: Origins, which was a BioWare/EA game

It's very notable that Dragon Age 2 was a huge shift away from Origins, which was touted as a 'spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate'.  DA2 was aimed squarely at the console crowd, with minimal control, story, characters, lots of button-mashing combat, and a linear plot with no player agency or choices.

DA3, or whatever they are calling it now, looks basically the same - only with Mass Effect 3 style multiplayer.

Whether it's Bioware or EA to blame, someone lost all faith in the original Dragon Age and Mass Effect games and wanted them to be more like button-mashers or FPS multiplayer games.

I fear that whafrog is correct, and the likelihood of us getting a character-driven, story-based Star Wars computer game is pretty much zero. At least we have the RPG, I guess.   

Edited by Maelora, 01 September 2014 - 08:22 AM.

• FangGrip and ayures like this

#16 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:00 AM

Yeah, being an EA game isn't the problem, its EA's current product plan and focus that's the issue:

• Mandatory online component (if there's a single player option at all) because they are terrified of piracy.
  • Origin because they don't want to share with Valve or anyone else.
  • Console (drunk frat boy and racist tween) heavy design focus, with PC a "bonus" market.
  • Microtransactions approaching mobile game proportions.

While I get that they are a business and are in it to make money, when you have to compromise your product to they level EA does, it really turns me off. As a result these days the game has to be so good that it has to overcome all that other stuff before I'll even consider it. Gone are the days of buying the game because its Star Wars. And unless the VR google boom jump starts the Sim market the odds of seeing a new X-wing (still a top 100 game after more then 2 decades) is nil.

Not: Depending on what it is day 1 DLC doesn't bother me that much. I've worked on enough deadlines to get that cutting content to meet release and then revisiting the cut stuff and DLCing is OK. The "ohhh get the special gun for only $4.99" stuff is poodoo though....

• ayures likes this

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#17 Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:48 AM

While Bioware/EA gave us Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect, (and there's some debate amongst fans about how much influence EA really had over the development of Mass Effect- outside of SecuROM- since much of it was completed before EA acquired Bioware) EA also gave us Dragon Age II and Mass Effect 3.

Yes, EA gave us Red Alert 2, and Command & Conquer 3, but they also gave us Command & Conquer 4, and almost gave us the always-online MMO style reboot that they just titled "Command & Conquer." Yes, one can make the argument that EA has published some wonderful games within the last twenty years, but if you look at the games published by EA recently, (that were set in worlds developed by companies that EA later acquired) the games were very poorly received by their respective fanbases.

Given the modern gaming industry's focus on the "casual" and "console" crowd (and my remarks are meant to disparage neither) and its obsession with the monetization of games even after purchase (Breaking off chunks of the finished game to sell as Day 1 DLC, subscription models where "Free To Play" equals "Pay To Win," etc.) it seems unlikely that we'll see any CRPG the likes of Baldur's Gate or Knights of the Old Republic coming from a Triple-A publisher like EA, let alone a Star Wars CRPG of that caliber.

On the plus side, Pillars of Eternity is still set to come out later this year, and Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition just got announced.

• Maelora and ayures like this

CorellianCrafts.com is now live! Be sure to check it out for hand-made Star Wars dice bags and accessories!

#18 EldritchFire

EldritchFire

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:56 AM

Yeah, many "classic" EA games are awesome, but their "modern" incarnations…well, C&C4 is a great example. /sigh

At least I'll always have my TIE Fighter CD memories.

/sigh

-EF

#19 Chortles

Chortles

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:02 AM

Too bad that the Icewind Dale EE is probably only coming out because it (as a rerelease) is probably treated as a game which (by having had its development costs be mostly taken during development of the original) is more likely to result in a quick profit... emphasis on quick.

Well, according to George Lucas, the Empire is intended to be bad guys and the Sith to be objectively evil.

Fans proceeded to immediately disregard his bull and have fun with the Empire and make believable characters left and right, and come up with sensible rationalizations east, west, north and south.

#20 evileeyore

evileeyore

• Members
  • 763 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:03 AM

What, no Command & Conquer series on your shelf?

-EF

I won't lie, I'm not a C&C fan.

I understand the love it gets, I still lovingly play Master of Magic. Some games were just made better back in the day. Then agian some games are really freaking good today (Total War: Shogun 2 warms my machine these days).
  • EldritchFire likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS