• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Gary Manning

Gary Manning

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:50 AM

We had a game yesterday:

It was a blood bath. This was not the way it was supposed to end…..

TWO WEEKS EARLIER, 1924, late August………..

I received a call from the central office. Trouble in Arkham and Kingsport. Locals were being harassed, and some had even gone missing. I was tasked with putting a team together, and to go through and investigate. I made a few calls, threw some things together, and got onto a train for Arkham. Upon arriving, I made my way to Velma’s Diner.

They were already there……..I was late………

Wilson Richards, the ‘Handyman’, yes very handy with that Shotgun of his. I saw his motorcycle outside as I arrived, and new I was late. Silas Marsh, sitting with his back against the wall, bare chested, a cavalry sabre and axe on the table, elephant gun against the wall (he always loved been well prepared), and then there was Daisy Walker, the local Librarian from Miskatonic University. Daisy and I go way back, and she is always good in a fight when spells, or that magical sword/Gladius, of hers are required.

I sat down, placed my cavalry sabre next to me. I never carried a gun. Had a bad experience once……never again. So, why were we here? Evidently there was trouble in Arkham and Kingsport. Rumours of some Ancient One ‘rising’…………..Abhoth, along with his children, the Children of Abhoth………this was not going to be pleasant……..Time to gear up……we moved off to the General Store and Curiosity Shop. Got some gear amongst us……..nothing wonderful…… mostly Tomes which peeked Daisy’s interest……and then it happened……..a Gate opened at the Witch House and with it came the monsters and the nightmares……

The two weeks consisted of:

• Us running out of money,………….. never a good thing. We tried several times to get retainers at the Newspaper, never successful. Wilson even got stranded in Kingsport for a few days, while investigating some sites linking to a Dimensional Rift in the town. He was urgently needed in Arkham when a monster surge drove the number of monsters up to 9…… in trying to get a ticket to Arkham, he realized he had no money, and had to rush to the local pawn shop in Kingsport to sell some gear to get money to get back to Arkham.
  • We were pick pocketed several times during the two weeks, and even while investigating Outer World regions. This was very frustrating, especially when money was so scarce……
  • The number of monsters in the sky never stopped, and attacks on us while in the streets was numerous and bloody.
  • At one stage we had 5 gates open, 9 monsters in the streets, and a Dimensional Rift travelling through the streets of Arkham. Lucky three of us were traveling in Other Worlds and came through to seal two Gates and close one.
  • Eventually we closed down the Dimensional Rift and got very lucky with an Environmental Card ‘blocking’ Dimensional Rift development for several turns.
  • Not only did we run out of money, several times we ran out of health and sanity, often having to spend a few days in either St Mary’s Hospital, or Arkham Asylum (being ‘looked’ after by nurse Heather……..scary……..)
  • A Gate burst, and two monster surges left the streets of Arkham crowded with monsters. Soon the outskirts of the town became flooded with monsters…….resulting in the terror level starting to rise……..on a daily basis
  • The General Store closed down; things were getting a little too insane and dangerous for the owner and his family. This did not really concern us, no money, no need for a general store
  • Strange how Silas never carried a magical weapon, and thus could only focus on monsters that could be killed by physical damage.
  • Daisy, with all her spells, and that Magical Sword/Gladius, had no physical weapons……..
  • And with me and Wilson alternating between Arkham and Kingsport, things continued to be difficult. Monsters roamed the streets of Arkham and Kingsport constantly…….
  • Plans were made to get to the Church to get Blessed, to visit Ma’s Boarding House to see if we could get any Allies….all to no avail……we could not let the people of Arkham and Kingsport suffer…..too many Gates, too many monsters…..
  • And then Silas was cursed………..
  • And then I was cursed……………..
  • I had collected 14 Clue tokens and 2 Elder Signs……..and do you think I could close or seal a gate……not a chance……Kingsport kept me busy…… too busy…….
  • And when things really looked bad, and we had only sealed 3 gates,…….. Abhoth arrived……….luckily Silas had lifted his curse……I was not that lucky.
  • Throwing caution to the wind we attacked Abhoth (with his -4 modifier to all attacks). We scarified monster trophies, gate trophies, clue tokens and gear just to stay alive every turn. Luckily we had the monster trophies and gate trophies due to all the killing and gates. I had 12 clue tokens, some monster kills, and random gear to ‘sacrifice’. I think most of us were fighting on 2 or 3 Stamina or Sanity, as was the trend throughout the game, not that it mattered with Abhoth.
  • Daisy with her Shriveling Spell and Magical Gladius was deadly (lots of 5’s and 6’s being rolled), along with Wilson and that Shotgun of his……at the end we killed Abhoth, but we lost Silas….. This was never supposed to have happened. This was not the way it was supposed to end. I always knew we were stretched, but to loose such a friend was heart breaking. Silas had killed most of the monsters in Arkham, and closed most of the gates…..and to be devoured at the end was just not right……………I will always miss him………………………

After killing Abhoth, and paying our respects to Silas, Wilson stated he had some work in Dunwich to take care off, Daisy and I spent a few days recovering, and then she went back to work at the University……..I made my way back to my office and submitted my report……
Who am I........ I am Roland Banks, Federal Agent…………………

Edited by Gary Manning, 28 September 2014 - 01:27 PM.

• The Professor and metalizm like this

#2 Wolfpack48

Wolfpack48

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:05 PM

Very nice write up -- thank you! :)  

We have yet to match up against Abhoth, and just getting used to Kingsport -- it sounds like you had  a nice tough game, and we are eyeing him...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS