Photo

Is it worth getting into Attack Wing when I already play X-Wing?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 Hobojebus

Hobojebus

Tie Defender Ace

• Members
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:06 PM

- My research online beforehand indicated that X-Wing was a more solid, better designed/balanced game, and had slightly better quality components.
- The store owner said basically the same thing when I talked with him about it, and he also said that X-Wing tended to have more players (at least around where I live).
- The X-Wing miniatures look nicer; better paintjobs and more to scale.
- I knew that I would want to get my friends into whichever game I picked, so I'd have some people to play with, and they much prefer Star Wars.

I was left with the impression that Attack Wing was basically a slightly worse, cheaper (in terms of quality, not price) knock-off of X-Wing, so I decided to go with X-Wing.

I guess my last major concern would be balance. I've heard lots of horror stories about WizKids atrocious game balancing, power creep, event exclusives etc.

This all sounds dead-on to me and mirrors my own research which led me to the same conclusion - that X-Wing is the better option.  I know one guy in our game group who has ST: Attack Wing and he tells me there are not many players around here either.

If you are going to have time and budget for another game, my advice would be to get into a significantly different game which also has a great reputation rather than a weaker clone of a game you already have.

Personally I would suggest that you look into some of the LCGs or Doomtown: Reloaded (basically an LCG but they can't call it that since FFG has the term trademarked).  Then you can have another highly competitive quality balanced game with a reasonable cost.  Feel free to PM me if you have questions about any of them, I've played them all.
No idea why it's so popular at my FLGS tbh...I can only assume it's because they are used to the similarities to heroclix. The more I learn about it, the less I understand why X-wing is getting so little love.

Some people just like to be really competitive with the best builds maybe AW offers that where the balance of x-wing does not.

Maybe they saw the prequels and it forever ruined SW for them.
  • stegocent likes this

#62 xanderf

xanderf

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:21 PM

As someone who is a long-time SFB player, it's a FAR superior game, and it's not even that popular compared to Federation Commander.

Not only does it have a great combat system (not as streamlined; feels more like you're commanding a starship that way), but there are plenty of sub-systems like the scanners, tractor beam, shuttlebay, etc. that allow you to play more Trek-oriented games. In fact, one of my favorite missions in the SFB book is one involving a survey vessel that has to ascertain the nature of a planet.

Oh, yeah, to be clear - SFB is the better game (to my taste) of the two (FedCom vs SFB).  But it's also...dense.

I mean, the 'master rulebook' (no scenarios, no ships, no background - JUST RULES) is something like an inch and a half thick...

pic75321_md.jpg

SFB is DENSE.  Potentially.  Of course, as any vet of the system will tell you...99.99% of that rulebook, you won't use in a given scenario.  Hell, there's probably a solid 40% or so of the rulebook that you basically NEVER use (or use only once - I mean, how many times has someone really had to deal with a mutiny of the Klingon subject races after a boom separation on their battleship?  I've seen it happen once in 30 years playing...but there is an entire chapter of the rulebook dedicated to that kind of thing, just in case.)

That the universe is simulated in such exacting detail, and the rules SO comprehensive as to cover nearly any possibility - no matter how remote - and with almost every rule cross-referenced against every other rule it could potentially interact with...

It does make it appear more daunting than it is.

But, man, the CONTROL you have over your ship!  Emptying your batteries during energy allocation, and then redirecting warp power to recharge them (which will normally do so by the end of the turn...unless you use it for something else like increasing your speed...RESERVE WARP POWER TO ENGINES!)...

That fine-tuning level of control is just amazingly powerful.

And, of course, you can use the same minis for SFB as are being released for Federation Commander...

pic137880_md.jpg

• stegocent, Omnitron310 and Lansing like this

#63 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:33 PM

Is it worth playing BattleTech? That's what I want to know.

• LordCole likes this
It's not easy being green.

#64 stegocent

stegocent

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:05 AM

Give fleet captains a go.
Very trek favoured game. So much more than attack wing!!

Empire: 7 Tie/In, 2 Tie Advanced, 2 Tie/Int, 2 Imperial Aces  4 Tie/B, 2 Firespray-31, 3 Lambda

Rebel: 6 X-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 4 B-wing, 1 Yt-1300, 2 HWK-290, 2 GR-75, 1 CR-90

#65 Hobojebus

Hobojebus

Tie Defender Ace

• Members
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:08 AM

I play battletech tech it's a solid game but slow when your learning because of the charts involved but play a few games you speed up considerably.

Catalyst who do it now have also released alphastrike a system for large scale battles which is becoming very popular it's still battletech but streamlined for using bigger armies something gw could learn from.

It's also fairly cheap classic battletech set comes with twenty four mechs a hex board to play on, then you could buy the alphastrike and never need anything else.

Who doesn't love big mechs destroying each other.
  • stegocent and LordCole like this

#66 LordCole

LordCole

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:57 AM

I play battletech tech it's a solid game but slow when your learning because of the charts involved but play a few games you speed up considerably.

Catalyst who do it now have also released alphastrike a system for large scale battles which is becoming very popular it's still battletech but streamlined for using bigger armies something gw could learn from.

It's also fairly cheap classic battletech set comes with twenty four mechs a hex board to play on, then you could buy the alphastrike and never need anything else.

Who doesn't love big mechs destroying each other.

Been playing Battletech for the last 24 years and I have to say there is nothing more satisfying than a six way battle among friends.

#67 Hobojebus

Hobojebus

Tie Defender Ace

• Members
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:03 AM

Well I stopped for ages because getting the models was tricky, I'm however really happy with the effort catalyst is putting into reprints and enjoying large battles with alphastrike.

#68 bulldoguk

bulldoguk

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:30 AM

I collect both, paint both and enjoy playing both. Nuff said really!

As stegocent mentioned though, fleet captains (uses the clix system) has a fun exploration mechanic to it which I feel is indicative of the Star Trek atmosphere and is a lot of fun if a tiny bit more complicated to play. It currently has Federation, Klingon and Romulan ships with a Dominion expansion pack being released very shortly
  • stegocent and Omnitron310 like this

#69 stegocent

stegocent

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:14 AM

Oh yeah i forgot about the sh*tty click bases, used them once then cut up some card to mark the power setting on the ships card.
Thankfully they put all the click base info on the ship cards.

Those click bases are so lame, it was the other reason why i couldn't get into the battletech game the other reason being blind boxes......BLIND BOXES why would anyone play a game like that anymore
  • Joe Boss Red Seven likes this

Empire: 7 Tie/In, 2 Tie Advanced, 2 Tie/Int, 2 Imperial Aces  4 Tie/B, 2 Firespray-31, 3 Lambda

Rebel: 6 X-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 4 B-wing, 1 Yt-1300, 2 HWK-290, 2 GR-75, 1 CR-90

#70 stegocent

stegocent

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:22 AM

Oh I would highly recommend looking at Twilight Imperium.
A very good Sci-Fi board game. Annnnd its made by FFG so win win

#71 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

The Laughing Warrior

• Members
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:24 AM

Oh yeah i forgot about the sh*tty click bases, used them once then cut up some card to mark the power setting on the ships card.
Thankfully they put all the click base info on the ship cards.

Those click bases are so lame, it was the other reason why i couldn't get into the battletech game the other reason being blind boxes......BLIND BOXES why would anyone play a game like that anymore

Does anybody?

"There Is No Such Thing As Luck." BLACK SIX RED SEVEN

STAR WARS is far more than three thirty year old films. FFG intends for X-Wing to thrive, thus it will be more also... PERIOD.

ALLIANCE: [A-WING: 3][B-WING: 3][E-WING: 3][HWK-290: 2][X-WING: 6][Y-WING: 5][Z-95: 6][YT-1300: 1][YT-2400: ] EMPIRE: [TIE ADVANCED: 1][TIE BOMBER: 3][TIE DEFENDER: 3][TIE FIGHTER: 5][TIE INTERCEPTOR: 6][TIE PHANTOM: 3][DECIMATOR: ][FIRESPRAY-31: ][SHUTTLE-LAMBDA: 1] SCUM: [FIRESPRAY-31: 1][HWK-290: 3][IG-2000: ][M3-A: ][STAR VIPER: ][Y-WING: 1][Z-95: ]

#72 Omnitron310

Omnitron310

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:54 AM

Oh I would highly recommend looking at Twilight Imperium.
A very good Sci-Fi board game. Annnnd its made by FFG so win win

Already got it :P

#73 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:22 AM

I think I will have to pick up a copy of Federation Commander!  I am a scifi fan, I like pretty much any genre of scfi, not limited to liking SW or ST.  I was never much into STB, we prefered FASA's version of starship tactical command.  We also dabbled more recently in A Call to Arms: Starfleet.  STF looks like it could definitely find a place in my collection.

As far as replacing crappy WK ships, that is not an issue:

IMG_20120121_152622.jpg

I have extensive Federation, Klingon, and Gorn fleets, along with a a mix of civilian and others.

Here is that MM replacement for miniPrise:

20131022_092941_zps6fc154bb.jpg

Enimo Et Fide

#74 PenguinBonaparte

PenguinBonaparte

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:41 AM

I really love Star Trek and got into Attack Wing, but it's just not nearly as good a game (bits are terribly broken), and the community is often pretty damn nasty because of the prizes and limited releases. If you're not already invested in it, don't do it. People say good things about Star Trek Fleet Captains, if you can get a friend or two to play with you.

#75 Bakura83

Bakura83

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:49 AM

I really love Star Trek and got into Attack Wing, but it's just not nearly as good a game (bits are terribly broken), and the community is often pretty damn nasty because of the prizes and limited releases. If you're not already invested in it, don't do it. People say good things about Star Trek Fleet Captains, if you can get a friend or two to play with you.

Yeah the nastiness is real...our heroclix community was pretty close-knit and welcoming, but it still strained relationships because of the exclusives.

Here is why: If the exclusive was something you REALLY wanted, you almost invariably had to buy a power-team fine tuned to the current set, which was anything from £20-60 or even more depending on how big your collection was.  All that did was utterly annihilate the newbies who had just gotten into the game and only had a few figures, and also increase the chance of net-built mirror matches.  And let me tell you, when you've gone out and spent £60 on a net-list and then lose a mirror match because of bad dice...it haz bad feelz.

Now, if you are laid back like I was, there is still fun to be had because of Wizkids great participation prizes (The Infinity Guantlet, for example).  It's actually worse than MtG for power-gaming and buy to win, imo.

#76 bulldoguk

bulldoguk

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:45 AM

OooOOOoooo. As an old time battletech player I love the look of the micromanagemt of the federation commander game. Bearing in mind I don't need any of the miniatures and I have all the current and future releases for attack wing, what Fed commander components would you reco I buy for maximum fun? Cheers :)

#77 xanderf

xanderf

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:54 AM

OooOOOoooo. As an old time battletech player I love the look of the micromanagemt of the federation commander game. Bearing in mind I don't need any of the miniatures and I have all the current and future releases for attack wing, what Fed commander components would you reco I buy for maximum fun? Cheers :)

Well, as noted, the base game is all cardboard, so...pretty much everything you need to play is right in the box.

It means the easiest thing to start with is just either of the core sets - the 'Romulan Border' (Romulans, Gorn, and Federation ships traditionally assigned to the fleets on that side of their border) or 'Klingon Border' (Klingons, Kzinti, Tholian, Orion, and Federation ships from that border).  From there, expand in whichever direction you like - the '...Attack' packs (IE., 'Klingon Attack', etc) bring a bunch of new ship classes to the corresponding core set, and the game system does have standalone ship packs - which are basically just extra laminated ship cards.

Designer's detail page for the game is here.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS