Photo

An idea for a future player card theme (Caleb read this!)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:03 AM

i would like to voice my support for this... 1 thing exists alongside magic in Tolkien's world, as some have already said... subtlety ...and this is something the game shares... in art and design i guess (i mean when you compare it to say warhammer)

as for how much lore on the blue wizards, well i need to check my unfinished tales, but i know Tolkien changed his mind a few times on whether they were a positive or negative influence on the east, though i believe he settled upon they made a big difference in those areas that affected the war of the ring

• gandalfDK likes this

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#22 Mich the One

Mich the One

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:35 AM

The bottom line is that we are talking about a card game and regardless how you look at it unplayable cards are never good. Is Palantir unplayable? It certainly is underwhelming.

Using a Palantir should bring you a huge benefit (reflecting the knwoledge you gain - card draw, encounter reveals, etc.), but at a huge price (hero damage, enormous threat raise). It would be a thematic fit if the card had a very beneficial effect, so that you were very tempted even though the consequences would be a potential disaster.

As for the Blue Wizards... so many of us would love to see them come to "life" in the LCG. I guess it is because we know so little of them and this would somehow satisfy the craving for the lore. The potential for a grand story is huge with Istaris.

I cannot remember now, but don't the Blue Wizards originate from Silmarilion? If so, wouldn't there be licensing issues for FFG?

• gandalfDK likes this

#23 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:53 AM

I cannot remember now, but don't the Blue Wizards originate from Silmarilion? If so, wouldn't there be licensing issues for FFG?

They are only named in Unfinished Tales so they aren't part of the license FFG has. The old Middle Earth CCG got the rights to the names through special permission from the Tolkien Estate, which FFG doesn't have, so far at least. They would have to ask for special permission in the same way. The problem is that since the LOTR movies were released, the Estate is much more hard line about letting any rights away, so I doubt FFG would have any luck. It's unfortunate, as I would love to see the Blue Wizards.

• Mich the One likes this

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#24 gandalfDK

gandalfDK

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:02 AM

Hoho, just a smartassnote: their origins and who they are and to which Vala they belong is explained in the Silmarillion.

‘If more of us valued food and cheer and a game of Lotr Lcg above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.’ – Thorin Oakenshield

#25 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:06 AM

Hoho, just a smartassnote: their origins and who they are and to which Vala they belong is explained in the Silmarillion.

True, but the actual names Allatar and Pallando, which they would need for a card, are only in Unfinished Tales.

If they wanted to fudge around that and try to refer to them using Silmarillion info, that's still out of bounds. FFG only has rights to stuff in LOTR and Hobbit.

Edited by Raven1015, 01 September 2014 - 11:07 AM.

• gandalfDK likes this

#26 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:11 AM

Well, they always can invent their own wizards.

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#27 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:16 AM

Yeah, I would be ok with that. I'm not sure how others would feel.

• gandalfDK likes this

#28 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:19 AM

@MichtheOne, you expressed my thoughts better than I could. While it's true that the palantir was tempting and most of the time it brought ruin, it wasn't tempting for nothing. It was tempting because it COULD bring great power at a great risk. The reason these characters were tempted to use it was because it brought big benefits at a price. And the current Palantir card is just unplayable for the most part. The price its ability has is just too high and the risk too certain compared to the potential benefit it could bring. Not that seeing the first 3 cards of the encounter deck and possibly draw a card or two is bad per se, but the cost for that is too high IMO. Looking at it, if it let you draw 2 cards for each type guessed right, it would be pretty good. But raising my threat in most cases by 4 and exhausting a hero to see the top 3 cards and maybe draw a card? No thanks.

Edited by Gizlivadi, 01 September 2014 - 11:20 AM.

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS