• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 LibrariaNPC

LibrariaNPC

• Members
  • 820 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:45 AM

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone!

Why have you chosen agility as the 1 stat? Any particular reason?

As for the agility hit, I mentioned that the d20 version reduced dexterity (agility) but raised intelligence (intellect). As the d6 version reduces perception (not quite cunning, as that fills just a single aspect), I thought the agility hit seemed more appropriate in comparison.
My guess for the reasoning behind his choice is that agility is the stat of choice for interacting with far-away objects (through the ranged() and piloting() skills). Miraluka can make up for their inability to see by sensing the world around them through the force, but I imagine that's their focus would be on objects in their immediate vicinity.

There isn't anything set in stone about this, but I think you might be right. It could also be tied with how a Miraluka "sees." Perhaps a Miraluka sees things as concepts instead of how we do, which causes a certain degree of maladroitness. 

So from the consensus here, it sounds as though this writeup would be best:

Agility 1. Willpower 3.

Wounds: 9+Brawn

Strain: 11+Willpower

Bonus Skill: All Miraluka begin the game with one rank in Discipline or Perception due to their connection with the Force.

Force Sight: Miraluka do not have eyes but are able to see through the Force.  If their connection with the Force is removed, they are blind. Remove up to 3 setback dice caused by "environmental conditions" (i.e. lighting) and cannot be blinded by normal means. Note that effects of cover still apply.

100 XP

Now, the following points are still under contention:
--"Morality Sight": As interesting as it is, I really don't like it. It reminds me too much of Paladin's and their ability to Detect Evil. Sure, it isn't spot on, but it's pretty close and may lead to some ways that will either stall the game or moe it too quickly. I'd rather leave this with the Force Power: Sense.

--Force Rating 0 or 1: I see the argument that they are all Force Sensitive with varying degrees and why this point is contested. I dislike the pidgeonhole of packing them into a Force Career because it doesn't always make sense; it'd be like saying a Wookiee always has to be a Hired Gun, or that a Gand must always be a Bounty Hunter, which is why I avoid it. 
Force Rating 0 seems underpowered to some and overpowered to others, while Force Rating 1 seems spot on for some and overpowered to others. 
As a compromise to Donovon Morningfire's comment: Perhaps players should have the option, like with a lunged vs lungless Gand to pay 10XP for this in-depth connection to the Force (again, discounted perk from the career without taking the career)? This will also allow for (mehanically) non-Force Sensitive Miraluka.
My Logic: all beings have the potential to be Force Sensitive, but this is a species that is born with a much stronger connection than most and the majority are legitimately Force Sensitive. Mechanically they still need to pay for powers and they are paying the XP for it, but they are losing out on having the career that goes with it (and the bonuses, like the talents, it implies). This will allow a Miraluka during the suggested timeline to be any career at the start and pick up a few powers that the GM allows (like Sense, as it makes perfect sense) without having the be a Force Career/Jedi Offshoot at the get-go.

--Discipline vs Perception vs Vigilance: I personally like Discipline as it shows that connection with the Force and, should they acquire the Sense power and the GM is using the contested Force Power roll, Discipline will be on of the primary skills for it. Perception could work as that connection with the Force enhances their ability to notice things. Vigilance fits in a way, but it makes me feel like it's too much of a radar, and as we have been discussing on the capabilities of a Miraluka and their connections to the Force, I feel as though it'd be better to leave that one well enough alone.

Any other input, here?

• bradknowles likes this

"Smilies exist because no one's bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic

LibrariaNPC's Starship Yard (Fighters and Freighter chapters as PDFs!)

#22 CypherSeven

CypherSeven

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:28 PM

the only official statistics in a Star Wars PnP was from Wizards SAGA edition. Should be fairly easy to convert them to FFG

SAGA

-2 DEX, +2 INT

Force Sight: can "see" by using the Force (passive). read and write as a normal person. ignore the effects of darkness. creatures that are invisible to the force (Yuuzhan Voing, Ysalamiri) cannot be detected by Miraluka. Ignores all penalties to Perception checks from cover or concealment.

Bonus Feat: A miraluka who has Use the Force as a trained skill gains Force Training as a bonus feat.

FFG

Brawn: 2, Agility: 1, Intelligence: 3, Cunning: 2, WIllpower: 2, Presence: 2

Force Sight: as described above

Starting XP: 100

Special Abilities: Miraluka with a Force Rating of 1, obtain a Force Talent of a Cost of 5 for free (no cost) cost.

#23 LibrariaNPC

LibrariaNPC

• Members
  • 820 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:42 PM

the only official statistics in a Star Wars PnP was from Wizards SAGA edition. Should be fairly easy to convert them to FFG

False. The Miraluka were originally statted in the 1996 supplement "Tales of the Jedi Companion" for West End Games' Star Wars RPG.

I will note that I did mention a lot of this previously, but I'll reiterate it again.

In the d6 version of the game, their Perception rating (closest to that trait-wise is Cunning) has a minimum of 1 instead of 2, but it's maximum goes up to 5 (while other stats cap at ). This doesn't translate well, which is why I didn't use the d6 statline directly.

The d6 version also gets Force Sight, which basically allows them to see as long as they are not disconnected from the Force. It is also assumed that they are all Force Sensitive (which is something that cost nothing in that edition; you just checked a box and called it good).

They were also statted in the Ultimate Alien Anthology for the d20 version of the RPG. In that version, they had -2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence; the Agility was due to a vision/long distance hand-eye coordination issue while the Intelligence was boosted due to most Force powers relating to Sense were tied to Intelligence.

As in the d6 version, they had Force Sight to allow them to see normally regardless of lighting (no penalty due to Blindness).

They were also given Force-Sensitive as a Bonus Feat, and if they start with a Force-using class, they gain Sense for free.

Note: This writeup inspired the Agility hit and the Force Rating 1 with Sense.

The final version, the one you offered, is from the SAGA edition (note: not the "only" version) and is essentially a tweaked/simplified version of the d20 version.

As for your writeup: You are giving them far too much for nothing.

A Human, who doesn't get a stat boost or special ability and sits at 10+ Brawn and Will for Wounds and Strain, is at 110 XP.

A Twi'lek is at 100 XP and gets a stat boost, can choose between two skills to boost, gets 10+ Brawn Wounds and 11+Will strain, and remove setback due to hot and arid conditions.

Trandoshans, on the other hand, Gain 12+Brawn for wounds and 9+Will for strain (not quite offset, but close!), Claws and Regeneration (limited usage, but still!) but only has 90XP.

A Gand also gains the stat boost, is limited on the skill, and has to choose between having lungs (and therefore always needing a rebreather, which gives them +10XP) or being immune to suffocation. They get 100XP unless they have lungs, at which point they are basically on par with humans.

In Suns of Fortune, we have the Selonians with stat boosts, a skill boost, a useful tail and removal of setback dice from darkness, and they only get 90XP.

With what you offered, Miraluka are getting the perks for taking a specialization (that costs 20XP unless you start with it) as well as a free 5XP talent. As we also don't have an official species without a skill bonus, you'd need to factor that in.

Your writeup is probably closer to the 90XP mark, and even then doesn't feel balanced, nor does it make much sense (as Intellect is NOT directly tied to Force powers; Willpower and the Discipline skill are).

That said, I still think the more balanced approach is:

Agility 1. Willpower 3.

Wounds: 9+Brawn

Strain: 11+Willpower

Bonus Skill: All Miraluka begin the game with one rank in Discipline or Perception due to their connection with the Force.

Force Sight: Miraluka do not have eyes but are able to see through the Force.  If their connection with the Force is removed, they are blind. Remove up to 3 setback dice caused by "environmental conditions" (i.e. lighting) and cannot be blinded by normal means. Note that effects of cover still apply.

100 XP

I'm still balancing this last part, here, but I think it could work.
Special: Force Connectivity: All Miraluka are connected to the Force, but some have a stronger connection than others. A player character creating a Miraluka in a non-Force and Destiny campaign may, at Character Creation, purchase Force Rating 1 or a Force-Sensitive Universal Specialization (Force-Sensitive in Exile or Force-Sensitive Emergent) for 10XP.
(Debating on allowing a Force and Destiny Miraluka a cheaper Sense power, a free Sense upgrade, or allowing them to purchase one other Force-based Specialization as an in-career tree).

"Smilies exist because no one's bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic

LibrariaNPC's Starship Yard (Fighters and Freighter chapters as PDFs!)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS