Child PC

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:44 AM

The OP wasn't clear in their post but as to whether or not their game is Cartoony or Cinematic but they did say it was a 10 year old. The Erza reference, though useful, is not of a 10 year old. If you want to play an actual child, not a teenager, then you should expect some disadvantages on your Attributes and Skills. You're 10 years old after all, 30kg+- (70lbs), and in grade 4 or 5 (assuming they grow up on a world with an education system). The kid who played Anikin was 10 and all he had to do was say a few lines and pretend he was on a roller-coaster ride, I've seen trained dogs give a more convincing performance. This is what the Player wants to their PC to be based on, which is a pretty unconvincing argument to give them normal stats.

Kicking the player in the nuts because Jake Loyd didn't give a convincing performance isn't really kosher though. Despite his size and weight the actual character of Anakin still did stuff like any other appropriately statted PC most likely from a  piloting class.

If you wanted to make the argument he did something like exchange 10ish starting XP for Sil 0, I might be willing to negotiate. But I still say penalizing a young character simply because he is a young character doesn't really fly.

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#42 FuriousGreg

FuriousGreg

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:13 PM

Kicking the player in the nuts because Jake Loyd didn't give a convincing performance isn't really kosher though. Despite his size and weight the actual character of Anakin still did stuff like any other appropriately statted PC most likely from a  piloting class.

If you wanted to make the argument he did something like exchange 10ish starting XP for Sil 0, I might be willing to negotiate. But I still say penalizing a young character simply because he is a young character doesn't really fly.

Well, I'm not sure if choosing to play child in an adult game is the same as a swift one in the groin but I suppose your mileage may vary...

In any case the point I was making was that you are playing a child not a miniature adult, and children just aren't as good at, well nearly anything as an adult, or even as a teenager. Sure they can get into smaller spaces and whatever but to stat them the same as an adult PC is just unfair to the Players playing adults.

That said, if you are playing a game where all the PCs are Children then I may go a different way but that would require some more thought on how to balance combat against adult NPCs.

Edited by FuriousGreg, 20 October 2014 - 12:43 PM.

Watch these now. Really, right now. (Oh, there's some naughty language but we're all adults :D here)
http://redlettermedi...phantom-menace/

http://redlettermedi...-of-the-clones/

http://redlettermedi...ge-of-the-sith/

#43 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:16 PM

Sounds like we're just going back to "appropriately statted" as being the concern then. If a player wanted to play a kid with 4 or 5 Brawn to start I'd take issue too...

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#44 Rakaydos

Rakaydos

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:40 PM

Anakin Skywalker, as a 10 year old human child, defeated a galaxy-renown podracer with a machine he cobbled together in his backyard. He was a Knight level Warrior: Starfighter Ace with the Extra Gear morality option. He doesnt need or require a "child's stats" nerf.

Likewise, any "Child prodigy" character should have access to the full build points of the race. Being a child should JUSTIFY the stats, not reduce hem.

• kaosoe likes this

#45 FuriousGreg

FuriousGreg

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:36 PM

Anakin Skywalker, as a 10 year old human child, defeated a galaxy-renown podracer with a machine he cobbled together in his backyard. He was a Knight level Warrior: Starfighter Ace with the Extra Gear morality option. He doesnt need or require a "child's stats" nerf.

Likewise, any "Child prodigy" character should have access to the full build points of the race. Being a child should JUSTIFY the stats, not reduce hem.

Children are not miniature adults and Anakin's "character", such as it was, basically had no understanding or control of anything that he did or that happened to him. He was a 10 year old in a world that made little or no sense to him and all the amazing thing that he "did" were accidents, just the Force pointing him the the right direction. It was all pure narrative that in a game wouldn't have required more than a roll or two, if that. Everything he did was just silly and was constantly pulling you out of the film; it was the result of a garbage script and sh*tty directing. Even if you go to other films where the kids act well and have a decent story and director, say The Golden Compass, Harry Potter (though they were all older then 10), or Hugo, they were capable of doing cool stuff but they were still children that had the limitations all children have.

It's not that you can't have an incredible 10 year old PC, it's just that you shouldn't make them as capable as an adult PC.

Watch these now. Really, right now. (Oh, there's some naughty language but we're all adults :D here)

#46 Amanal

Amanal

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:17 PM

It's not that you can't have an incredible 10 year old PC, it's just that you shouldn't make them as capable as an adult PC.

I agree there should be restrictions for playing a child, the player should be (ideally) the deciding factor as to what those restrictions should or should not be. 

If the GM does impose limits these should be no more than he would impose on any other player "playing the game" rather than building a character.

#47 Rakaydos

Rakaydos

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted Today, 04:52 AM

Keep in mind,, not only was anakin a knight level PC, so was Jar Jar, but Binks wasted all his points on getting 2+ ranks in every skill... so practically every roll he made was a fail with a triumpth/advantage.

If you want to make YOUR PC weaker than the others, that's your perogative. But telling me -my- child prodigy character has to take some arbitrary point reduction, specifically to keep him from playing with the rest of the group, is worthless and small minded.

• kaosoe likes this

#48 FuriousGreg

FuriousGreg

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted Today, 06:13 AM

Small minded? You mean like a 10 year old's underdeveloped and uneducated brain?
Or are you giving us an example of how you plan on playing said prodigy? :P

Well your argument is certainly child like, sort of "you can't tell me what to do!" I want it and I don't care if it's fair to the other players that my 10 year old "prodigy"* has the same stats as their adult heroic PCs. I want it, poopy head!

* a word a 10 year old could never grasp the meaning of because even if they knew the definition of it wouldn't have enough life experience to have any frame of reference to really understand it.

Edited by FuriousGreg, Today, 07:00 AM.

#49 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,643 posts

Posted Today, 09:32 AM

Or maybe everyone can play how they want to play at their own table.

Rakaydos, I don't think anyone is coming into your house and telling you how you must play, are they?

Personally I agree that a child PC should just be made as a normal character. So that's how I'd run it in my own games, where I can establish some of the rules.

If somebody wants to use different rules for child PCs in their own games which are not where you live and don't involve you, that could just be their prerogative, right?

• Jamwes likes this

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#50 Jamwes

Jamwes

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted Today, 09:57 AM

Question for you, FG. I understand the want to limit a starting child character compared to a normal starting adult character. I agree that a 10 year old has half the life experience as a 20 year old. When a player wants to play a 40 year old war veteran, do you give them twice the starting experience? A 40 year old has had twice the life experience as a 20 year old.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS