Child PC

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Darth Uruk

Darth Uruk

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:51 PM

I have player who wants to play a child (10 year old) this is the child from a previous character of theirs how would you suggest handling this mechanically lowered brawn, ST, WT. etc.

#2 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:06 PM

I wouldn't mess with it too much, to be honest. If it were in my game, I'd suggest the player just choose their stats and race as they would normally and roleplay the character as a child.

For a human, I'd suggest leaving Brawn at 2 rather than putting any points in it.

Because they're supposed to be pulp-adventure characters, a child could be as capable as anyone. For example Tintin or even Anakin in Episode I, he's a great pilot, he's perceptive, he's got cunning because of his life on the streets.

• Col. Orange, Talkie Toaster, Ghostofman and 1 other like this

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#3 Josep Maria

Josep Maria

• Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:23 PM

I use to lower Wounds to half and maybe substract a quarter from Strain.

With main Stats I use to pu them at 1 (instead 2) but I always consider species special bonuses and stats. Also I stat their starting XP below 50 and even 25. Max skills ranks can be up to 1 and max talent ranks (in general) max up to 2.

In some cases I let mental stats overthrow that rules (genius kid).

For teenagers I use to let stats similar to adults depending on case.

And as a personal thing, I don't let them pick up "combat" classes/specializations. Only rogue or genius kids, not soldier or assassin kids.

Hope I helped :D

Edited by Josep Maria, 30 August 2014 - 04:24 PM.

Be brave and listen to your heart.

5,935 Profile Views.

#4 swheelock

swheelock

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:08 PM

I don't think you really have to mess with WT or ST. These are meant to be broad, abstract measures anyway, so the GM & player could describe the results of Wounds and Strain differently. For example, if the child takes a few Wounds, the GM could describe it as the child scrambling frantically out of the way of the vibro-axe as it repeatedly slams down where she just was. She's not hit (which would kill a kid) but she's running out of places to hide. Strain could be represented as the kinds of worries or stress that a kid gets, or just being really, really tired. If she hits her Strain threshold, maybe she just sits down and won't move any further until she recovers (nap-time!), rather than being knocked-out.

I'd prefer this approach to handicapping the player mechanically.

• Talkie Toaster, progressions, Josep Maria and 3 others like this

#5 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:12 PM

With main Stats I use to pu them at 1 (instead 2) but I always consider species special bonuses and stats. Also I stat their starting XP below 50 and even 25. Max skills ranks can be up to 1 and max talent ranks (in general) max up to 2. :D

star-wars-rebels-unleashed.jpg

.....you want me dead, and you don't even know me!

• Sturn, awayputurwpn, Josep Maria and 9 others like this

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#6 Josep Maria

Josep Maria

• Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:48 AM

Childs in movies use to have the "Hollywood/Disney protection" Talent at max ranks XD

Edited by Josep Maria, 31 August 2014 - 12:48 AM.

• Col. Orange likes this

5,935 Profile Views.

#7 Talkie Toaster

Talkie Toaster

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:54 AM

With main Stats I use to pu them at 1 (instead 2) but I always consider species special bonuses and stats. Also I stat their starting XP below 50 and even 25. Max skills ranks can be up to 1 and max talent ranks (in general) max up to 2.

In some cases I let mental stats overthrow that rules (genius kid).

For teenagers I use to let stats similar to adults depending on case.

And as a personal thing, I don't let them pick up "combat" classes/specializations. Only rogue or genius kids, not soldier or assassin kids.

Hope I helped :D

That's such a severe penalty effectively the same as saying "No child PCs".

• Josep Maria, Ghostofman, Dampe and 2 others like this

#8 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:16 AM

Back in the dark times of my gaming, I gamed with another player who made a child PC. Let's just say he was not mature enough to play a kid. Yes, I realize how contradictory that statement was.

Edited by kaosoe, 31 August 2014 - 05:03 PM.

• awayputurwpn, Col. Orange, Josep Maria and 3 others like this

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#9 intothenight

intothenight

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:00 AM

It depends on the sort of character they're playing. Assuming the PC is a child prodigy, you could justify having higher intellect and cunning, but perhaps lower brawn (if he's not accustomed to lifting anything heavier than a datapad), lower willpower (if he's a bit of a brat who hates not having his own way), or lower presence (if he has a hard time getting people to take him seriously).

If the child had a rough life living on the streets, he might have strength and agility equal to an adult, but might not have the intellect that would go with proper education or the presence to stand up to the thugs and lowlifes around him.

Actually, I'd probably deduct some presence from him unless he had a good way of justifying it. Oh, and the player must portray the character using a Jake Lloyd "Now this is podracing!" impression. Even if said player and/or character are female.

• Josep Maria likes this

#10 Josep Maria

Josep Maria

• Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

In my games I let play unbalanced things, over and under powered species/classes or else.

If anyone just pick up something its for a roleplay thing not to "destroy everything!" XD

I consider that childs have the contrary effect off Jedi/Force and aliens in some cases:

- Child: Weak; Social Protection: No one use to attack or try to kill a child.

- Alien: Medium; Social Racism: In general therms they are desprestigiated and even attacked on Imperial worlds.

- Jedi/Force: Strong; Social Disavantage: Empire will auto-attack this character if recongnies him/her.

Without considering Episode III temple scene... Hollywood/Disney Ranks use to protect childs, its a super social Adversary talent XD The same way, I don't let child chars become killers or assassins.

Edited by Josep Maria, 31 August 2014 - 09:27 AM.

5,935 Profile Views.

#11 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:09 AM

Playing a Padawan would require a child PC, so this is of interest to me :)  Assuming the idea is to eventually play the character into adulthood, I don't think I'd reduce starting XP, because it's too hard to get back to the stats you'd need as an adult.  Instead I'd have the player go through the normal chargen reflecting the stats they want as an adult, then reduce Brawn by 1*, and let the character decide which other stat to reduce by 1.  This would reduce WT temporarily, and possibly ST depending on the stat they choose.  They will get their chosen stat back at, say, 16, and their Brawn back at, say, 18, along with whatever threshold bump is required.

*(if Brawn already starts at 1 for the species, then they choose 2 other stats to reduce, and get them back at 16 and 18.)

I don't think messing with the other stats or limits is necessary.

• Josep Maria and Ghostofman like this

#12 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

Playing a Padawan would require a child PC, so this is of interest to me :)  Assuming the idea is to eventually play the character into adulthood, I don't think I'd reduce starting XP, because it's too hard to get back to the stats you'd need as an adult.  Instead I'd have the player go through the normal chargen reflecting the stats they want as an adult, then reduce Brawn by 1*, and let the character decide which other stat to reduce by 1.  This would reduce WT temporarily, and possibly ST depending on the stat they choose.  They will get their chosen stat back at, say, 16, and their Brawn back at, say, 18, along with whatever threshold bump is required.

*(if Brawn already starts at 1 for the species, then they choose 2 other stats to reduce, and get them back at 16 and 18.)

I don't think messing with the other stats or limits is necessary.

I was thinking something similar.

For characters expected to grow up after an adventure or two (Anakin) they can commit the XP for a higher brawn at character creation and get the boost "free" when the time comes.

For characters expected to stay young for a while (Ahsoka) just use normal rules and stat appropriately.

• awayputurwpn, Josep Maria and whafrog like this

#13 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:13 AM

Make the character as normal. GM adds setback dice liberally. Done.
  • Josep Maria, Desslok, kaosoe and 2 others like this
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#14 awayputurwpn

awayputurwpn

• Members
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:08 PM

I had the idea to just reduce starting XP by perhaps 30 or 40, and then at the appropriate age/growing-up montage, give them back that XP to be spent as "starting XP," pretty much on a single characteristic.

Functionally, this could be equivalent to whafrog's suggestion, but also allows for some skill ranks, should the player desire.
  • Josep Maria likes this

#15 Nate

Nate

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:15 AM

I recommend:

Rules for Younglings
GM's wanting to use younglings in an adventure or campaign can do so with the following modifications.
  • Younglings have the same base attributes as other members of their species, except that they suffer -1 reductions to Brawn, Intellect and Presence.
  • They do not have a career or specialization, and therefor possess no talents.
  • Younglings start with one third of their species' normal XP, rounded down.

• Josep Maria, Orjo Creld and FuriousGreg like this

#16 swheelock

swheelock

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:22 AM

I recommend:

Rules for Younglings
GM's wanting to use younglings in an adventure or campaign can do so with the following modifications.
  • Younglings have the same base attributes as other members of their species, except that they suffer -1 reductions to Brawn, Intellect and Presence.

This is definitely the system to go with, especially if you find the typical starting character to be far too competent at tasks. Did you consider maybe requiring the player to self-flagellate at different points during the game?

• Jshock and Talkie Toaster like this

#17 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:09 AM

I recommend:

Rules for Younglings

Not on my watch. 

The source material (you know, the movies) has 9 year old Anakin as really no different then any other PC. Nerfing a character simply because of its concept is silly, and discourages interesting play ideas. 

• Talkie Toaster, progressions, JasonRR and 3 others like this

#18 Josep Maria

Josep Maria

• Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:35 AM

In my opinion, the fact that you don't have the same amount of "level/power" than another ones doesn't make you a lesser character.

In my game lesser XP and Stats characters are sometimes the main focus of the story. That chapter and the attention of that "episode" are on them.

The main focus, at least from my point of view, in roleplaying is roleplay, not achieve level 20, kill the dragon and have a Flaming Sword of Fire +3.

I understand your point of view, no need to "nerf" chracter stats, but players must be aware that a 0,90 cm tall child with brawn 2 (for example) doesn't have the same amount of Encumbrance or even strenght that an adult, for example.

Again, is a personal choice :D

Edited by Josep Maria, 01 September 2014 - 09:37 AM.

5,935 Profile Views.

#19 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:38 AM

These are meant to be pulp adventure characters, not realistic representations.

Brawn 2 doesn't really make someone the Hulk compared to somebody with Brawn 1, so I don't see the point in lowering stats to make them a child.

Just roll up a char like normal and roleplay it.

• Ghostofman, kaosoe and OfficerZan like this

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#20 Josep Maria

Josep Maria

• Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:46 AM

You can always lower Encumbrance value based on Silhouette. For Example a child can have Brawn 2 but his/her Encumbrance can be 2 + 3 or +2 to "fix that".

5,935 Profile Views.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS