Implementing vibroknife bayonet

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 MrDodger

MrDodger

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:51 AM

2 HP seems like a bit much, too. A bayonet lug is pretty simple.

I think I understand the why of it, but I do agree with you.  It's either use a Hard Point from the gun and one from the knife, or use two from the gun, and most guns have more HP to spare.

I'd go with one HP on the gun and one on the knife, myself, except that a combat knife doesn't even have one HP.

(Then again, they did call it a vibro-bayonet mount.)

Sorry yeah, the idea was purely for the mount attachment. 2 HP may be 1 too many, but it's meant to be all-encompassing and not take away from the stats of the actual knife. Idea being once the mount is there, the bayonet can simply be mounted or dismounted.  It might have made more sense if I added our stats for the vibrobayonet as well ;).  Here's the whole thing:

Attachment: Vibrobayonet Mount:

Designed to allow for the mounting of Vibrobayonets on Rifle or Carbine (Ranged Heavy) weapons by adding additional power systems and reinforcing the firearm for use as a 2-handed melee weapon.

Base Modifiers: Increase Weapons Cumbersome rating by 1, allows for attachment of Vibrobayonets.

Modification Options: 1x Reduce Cumbersome 1 mod

Hard Points Required: 2

Price: 700 credits

Vibrobayonet

Skill: Melee

Dam: +1

Crit: 3

Range: Engaged

Encum: 1

HP: 2

Price: 200

Rarity: 5

Special: Pierce 1, Vicious 1

Mounted Vibrobayonet

Skill: Melee

Dam: +1

Crit: 2

Range: Engaged

Encum: Weapon +1

HP: 2

Price: 200

Rarity: 5

Special: Pierce 1, Vicious 1, Defensive 1, Cumbersome (as per weapon)

Edited by MrDodger, 03 September 2014 - 10:58 AM.

#22 Simon Fix

Simon Fix

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:55 AM

After thinking it over, I think it's way too gimped compared to backing up and shooting. A vibrobayonet is supposed to be an alternative to using a maneuver to disengage and shoot.

Vibrobayonet: A vibrobayonet that can be affixed to Ranged [Heavy] weapons.  When affixed, add Cumbersome 1 to the weapon affixed to. When firing the weapon with the vibrobayonet affixed, add Inaccurate 1. Affix as a maneuver. 300 credits.

Vibrobayonet (unaffixed) [Melee, Damage: +2, Range: Engaged, Crit: 2, HP: 1, Rarity: 4, Pierce 2, Vicious 1].

And to attach it:

Vibrobayonet Lug: Allows the attachment of vibrobayonets to a Ranged [Heavy] weapon. 1 HP. 100 credits.

Vibro-bayonet (affixed) [Melee, Damage: +2, Range: Engaged, Crit: 2, HP: 1, Rarity: 4, Pierce 2, Vicious 1, Defensive 1, Cumbersome X].

X being the weapon's cumbersome rating with the vibrobayonet attached; eg on a Slugthrower (Cumbersome 2 by default) this would be 3.

So your bayonet does as much damage unaffixed as affixed, and as much damage in both cases as a vibrosword?  That seems a bit much.

There is no signature here.

#23 Daeglan

Daeglan

• Members
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:03 PM

also bayonetts do not effect the accuracy of a weapon. 

#24 B3NDR

B3NDR

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:09 PM

Just to be a devil's advocate: bayonet should actually increase the accuracy.  It adds mass (i.e. inertia) at the tip of a rifle which makes it less shaky which leads to the rifle being more accurate.

//B3NDR.

#25 Simon Fix

Simon Fix

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:20 PM

Agreed.  I had Inaccurate added for when the rifle is used like a melee weapon with the bayonet attached largely because it becomes more like an improvised weapon that way - a little unwieldy.

There is no signature here.

#26 Daeglan

Daeglan

• Members
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:41 PM

They are spears. And they are not bad in that use. 

#27 ayures

ayures

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:33 PM

snip

So your bayonet does as much damage unaffixed as affixed, and as much damage in both cases as a vibrosword?  That seems a bit much.

Whoops, I meant +1, not +2. I didn't notice that when I copied yours. Fixed.

Just to be a devil's advocate: bayonet should actually increase the accuracy.  It adds mass (i.e. inertia) at the tip of a rifle which makes it less shaky which leads to the rifle being more accurate.

//B3NDR.

Agreed.  I had Inaccurate added for when the rifle is used like a melee weapon with the bayonet attached largely because it becomes more like an improvised weapon that way - a little unwieldy.

I know that real-world "slugthrowers" do actually take a hit to accuracy when a bayonet is affixed. Anything touching the barrel affects barrel harmonics and throws things off (this is also why free-floating barrels are popular for accuracy). I'm not sure about blaster physics, but I figured it would be a good way to help balance the vibrobayonet and keep players from just running around with the thing affixed all the time.

Also, I felt that Cumbersome was enough to account for that bit of unwieldiness involved with spearing someone with a rifle. I think that's what Cumbersome is for as opposed to Inaccurate which is meant for adding to, well, inaccurate weapons that inherently tend to miss.

How was all of this handled in Saga Edition, anyway?

[very late edit] After reading through FaD, I think that the mounted bayonet might be best off using the Unwieldy attribute. Maybe even Unwieldy 3 and probably Cumbersome anywhere between 1 and 3 as well, but as a constant instead of being in addition to the rifle.

Edited by ayures, 10 September 2014 - 09:21 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS