Implementing vibroknife bayonet

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 B3NDR

B3NDR

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:47 AM

I would like to allow my players to attach vibroknife as a bayonnet on their blaster rifles.

How would I go to implement this so that it would be "realistic" (not under or overpowered)? Also, should the knife be allowed to be modded separately from the rifle to make the bayonet more dangerous?  Would the arrangement use hard points from the knife, the rifle, or both?  How many? How would the knife's stats change when attached (I am thinking it should be possible to detach a baynet to be used as a regular vibroknife)?  I assume stabbing someone with bayonet is more damaging than stabbing him with a plain knife.

What I am basically looking for is someone's (preferably playtested) ideas about the matter.

Thanks,

//B3NDR

#2 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:35 AM

I'd take up a HP on the rifle.  Don't see any issue with modding the vibroknife itself personally.  The knife's stats wouldn't change imo on the rifle, I would probably just say the player can transition to a melee attack without using even an incidental when they are engaged.  A bayonet is just a heavy bladed knife, not really any different from just a 6 to 8 inch camping knife, it is just full tang with a means to clamp to a lug on a rifle.

• Sturn, Col. Orange, Ghostofman and 1 other like this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze  and D&D 5E  Swords for Adventure

#3 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:43 AM

I'd take up a HP on the rifle.  Don't see any issue with modding the vibroknife itself personally.  The knife's stats wouldn't change imo on the rifle, I would probably just say the player can transition to a melee attack without using even an incidental when they are engaged.  A bayonet is just a heavy bladed knife, not really any different from just a 6 to 8 inch camping knife, it is just full tang with a means to clamp to a lug on a rifle.

This is exactly what I would do as well. Most rifles are painful so this may encourage the player to switch to a mechanically inferior weapon for effect. Which is a good thing in my book.

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#4 OverMatt

OverMatt

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:43 AM

Yes, a bayonet would, mechanically speaking, just permit a character to make melee attacks without putting down his rifle.  He could shoot or stab each round as he sees fit without changing his weapon.

And yes, installing a bayonet should use up a hard point on the rifle.

However, if you're also going to treat the bayonet as its own weapon that can be modified independently, then you might also want to rule that being attachable as a bayonet also uses up a hard point on the knife.

i.e. Modifying a rifle to take a bayonet uses one hard point on the rifle and modifying a knife to be useable as a bayonet uses one hard point on the knife - one hard point each.

• Jshock, Rasguy, kaosoe and 3 others like this

#5 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:05 AM

I think that's fair.

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#6 swrider

swrider

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:20 AM

Bayonet fighting makes use to of the whole riffle not just the bayonette. The riffles butstock to your head is just as deadly as a dagger to the gut. For this reason I would allow either a boost die to the roll and 1 mele deffence as the rifle is also used to deflect mele attacks. That is just my oppinion though based off the limited bayonet fighting I did in basic training.
  • bradknowles likes this

#7 evileeyore

evileeyore

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:23 AM

Modifying a rifle to take a bayonet uses one hard point on the rifle and modifying a knife to be useable as a bayonet uses one hard point on the knife - one hard point each.

This. However it would also still count as a two-handed weapon and have whatever Cumbersome or other such "size related" negative qualities the Rifle has (which shouldn't be an issue for the character).

Personally... I'd also add +1 Damage, but that's my "realism" side talking and can be safely ignored.
  • bradknowles likes this

#8 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:25 AM

Hmm was thinking about this recently due to looking at designing the siang lance or at least a variation thereof for a Jedi hunter character I have an idea for based on the Kilian ranger concept. Good ideas.

What about adjusting the damage to Brawn +2 while attached? So it falls between the vibroknife and vibrospear. Or maybe make that an upgrade to the attachment.

Edited by mouthymerc, 30 August 2014 - 11:26 AM.

• LibrariaNPC and bradknowles like this

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#9 Daeglan

Daeglan

• Members
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

Think of a bayonet on a rifle is effectively a spear. So treat it as such. You get reach and a little more damage because the attacks have more weight behind them than a knife.

Bayonet fighting is very watered down spear fighting.

Edited by Daeglan, 30 August 2014 - 12:35 PM.

• bradknowles likes this

#10 MrDodger

MrDodger

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:42 PM

I actually statted one of these with a player. We didn't mod the vibroknife, but created a mount attachment for the rifle itself:

Vibrobayonet Mount

Designed to allow for the mounting of a Vibroknife on Rifle or Carbine (Ranged Heavy) weapons by adding additional power systems and reinforcing the firearm for use as a 2-handed melee weapon.

Base Modifiers: Increase Weapons Cumbersome rating by 1, allows for attachment of Vibrobayonets.

Modification Options: 1x Reduce Cumbersome 1 mod

Hard Points Required: 2

Price: 700 credits

• bradknowles likes this

#11 BadMotivator

BadMotivator

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:36 PM

2 hard points and 700 credits seems excessive. If you look at real bayonet mounts you'd hardly know they were there.

• bradknowles likes this

I am the lag on your server! I am the cluster of dead pixels! I am the rattle in your engine! I am the friction in your bearings! I am the wearing down of your joints! I am the crick in your neck! I am the cracked gasket! I am the short circuit! I am the corroded fluid duct! I am the imperfect weld! I am entropy!

I am the Bad Motivator!

#12 Azrael Macool

Azrael Macool

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:34 PM

How about a Bayonet attachment for certain appropriate melee weapons (I'm thinking Combat Knife, Vibroknife, maybe Stun Club or some other bludgeoning weapon?). It should cost no more than 1 hardpoint, maybe 0 (especially if you do it on a Combat Knife). This allows it to be attached as a bayonet. Then, a Bayonet mount attachment, costing 1 hp, usable on any rifle-sized weapon. When mounted, it increases Cumbersome by 1, (if, somehow, both weapons have Cumbersome, add both values), and then put in a reduce Cumbersome by 1 mod, and an increase damage by 1 mod (when using the mounted bayonet only). Not sure for a price though, I'm bad at pricing.

#13 Simon Fix

Simon Fix

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:16 AM

I actually statted one of these with a player. We didn't mod the vibroknife, but created a mount attachment for the rifle itself:

Vibrobayonet Mount

Designed to allow for the mounting of a Vibroknife on Rifle or Carbine (Ranged Heavy) weapons by adding additional power systems and reinforcing the firearm for use as a 2-handed melee weapon.

Base Modifiers: Increase Weapons Cumbersome rating by 1, allows for attachment of Vibrobayonets.

I like this, but it feels a bit expensive, especially since, as written, it's just the mount and not the knife.

• bradknowles likes this

There is no signature here.

#14 ayures

ayures

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:18 AM

Vibrobayonet Mount

I like this, but it feels a bit expensive, especially since, as written, it's just the mount and not the knife.

2 HP seems like a bit much, too. A bayonet lug is pretty simple. 2 HP would also preclude it from being attached to a slugthrower which, IMO, is the weapon for which a bayonet makes the most sense.

Edited by ayures, 01 September 2014 - 12:25 AM.

• kaosoe and bradknowles like this

#15 Simon Fix

Simon Fix

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:25 AM

2 HP seems like a bit much, too. A bayonet lug is pretty simple.

I think I understand the why of it, but I do agree with you.  It's either use a Hard Point from the gun and one from the knife, or use two from the gun, and most guns have more HP to spare.

I'd go with one HP on the gun and one on the knife, myself, except that a combat knife doesn't even have one HP.

(Then again, they did call it a vibro-bayonet mount.)

Edited by Simon Fix, 01 September 2014 - 12:25 AM.

• bradknowles likes this

#16 ayures

ayures

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:28 AM

2 HP seems like a bit much, too. A bayonet lug is pretty simple.

I think I understand the why of it, but I do agree with you.  It's either use a Hard Point from the gun and one from the knife, or use two from the gun, and most guns have more HP to spare.

I'd go with one HP on the gun and one on the knife, myself, except that a combat knife doesn't even have one HP.

(Then again, they did call it a vibro-bayonet mount.)

I guess you can always homebrew a regular bayonet weapon. Same stats as the combat knife but with 1 HP and more expensive.

#17 Simon Fix

Simon Fix

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:38 AM

How about this?

Vibro-bayonet

A vibro-bayonet that can be mounted on Ranged [Heavy] rifles and carbines.  When mounted, the Cumbersome rating of the gun to which it is attached is increased by 1, and may be used as a two-handed melee weapon with the following stats:  Vibro-bayonet [Melee, Damage: +2, Range: Engaged, Crit: 2, HP: 1, Rarity: 4, Pierce 2, Vicious 1, Inaccurate 1].  Unmounted, the vibro-bayonet may be used as a vibroknife with that weapon's stats.

Base Modifier:  Increase weapon's Cumbersome rating by 1.

Modification Options: 1 Decrease Cumbersome mod. 1 Accurate mod.

Hard Points Required: 1

Cost: 500 credits

Edited by Simon Fix, 03 September 2014 - 12:21 PM.

• kaosoe, bradknowles and ayures like this

#18 Daeglan

Daeglan

• Members
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:11 AM

still a bit pricey. You can get one today for a rifle for about 60 bucks.  otherwise good.

Edited by Daeglan, 01 September 2014 - 01:12 AM.

• bradknowles likes this

#19 ayures

ayures

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:24 AM

still a bit pricey. You can get one today for a rifle for about 60 bucks.  otherwise good.

A regular vibroknife is AurebeshSans-Serif_credit.png250. Realistically it shouldn't be much more, but it provides enough extra functionality that I think it's probably justified. Maybe it could be a little cheaper, but I wouldn't go too low.

Edited by ayures, 03 September 2014 - 09:45 AM.

• bradknowles likes this

#20 ayures

ayures

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:46 AM

After thinking it over, I think it's way too gimped compared to backing up and shooting. A vibrobayonet is supposed to be an alternative to using a maneuver to disengage and shoot.

Vibrobayonet: A vibrobayonet that can be affixed to Ranged [Heavy] weapons.  When affixed, add Cumbersome 1 to the weapon affixed to. When firing the weapon with the vibrobayonet affixed, add Inaccurate 1. Affix as a maneuver. 300 credits.

Vibrobayonet (unaffixed) [Melee, Damage: +1, Range: Engaged, Crit: 2, HP: 1, Rarity: 4, Pierce 2, Vicious 1].

And to attach it:

Vibrobayonet Lug: Allows the attachment of vibrobayonets to a Ranged [Heavy] weapon. 1 HP. 100 credits.

Vibro-bayonet (affixed) [Melee, Damage: +1, Range: Engaged, Crit: 2, HP: 1, Rarity: 4, Pierce 2, Vicious 1, Defensive 1, Cumbersome X].

X being the weapon's cumbersome rating with the vibrobayonet attached; eg on a Slugthrower (Cumbersome 2 by default) this would be 3.

And for the sake of argument in favor of Defensive and against Inaccurate for vibrobayonet attacks:

Edited by ayures, 03 September 2014 - 01:23 PM.

• B3NDR and Zio Yamamoto like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS