Questions about SWLCG and LCGs.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Envoyofduels

Envoyofduels

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:31 PM

Hi, let me 1st state that am a huge Star Wars and LCG fan. I played NR, SW, and LOTR. I have not played in a while, but I collect. My question is, Does the SWLCG play on staying in the Original Trilogy Time frame or in the future can it/will it include other time frames such as The Prequels, Dark age(between 3-4), Old Republic, New Trilogy, NJO, etc? Also and this is directed to LCG in general, but what is(if any) is the plan for down the road when there is a large card pool? Rotation? Blocks? Lists? I have not played in a while but I do play TCGs and in them (except mtg MAYBE) there are power creeps. Any plan to prevent that?

Again I am a huge fan of LCG and am hoping that the LCG model is the future of gaming, topping TCGs. Of course not killing off TCGs but do what TCGs did to RPGs.

-For those who do not know TCG=Trading Card Games or CCG=Collectible Card Game

-End of Line

#2 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:42 AM

1. All we can do is speculate about the future of the game. Most of the players I have talked with don't think there will be prequel stuff added but it's all just opinions as FFG hasn't really divulged all the things their license for the Star Wars IP encompasses. Which is their prerogative.

2. As far as I know, the longest standing LCG's are AGoT and LotR. Neither have had rotations bans or lists to my knowledge. One could assume that the same thing will apply to Star Wars. As of now, the card pool is relatively small because it's only been around so long and the variety is somewhat limited with the Objective Set system. More cards are on the way and I doubt there will be any drastic measures put in place for quite some time, if ever.

Edited by GroggyGolem, 30 August 2014 - 12:42 AM.

• Envoyofduels likes this

Rebels: 3 X-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 YT-1300

Imperials: 5 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/ADV, 1 TIE/IN, 1 Firespray-31

#3 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:37 AM

LoTR never will, it isn't a competitive game.  AGoT needs to do something.  The card pool is to big, new players can't get into it (both cost and information overload), and they keep bringing out cards that introduce broken things because there so many possible interactions things get missed.

Apparently at Worlds they will announce what that something is.

• MacRauri likes this

#4 Envoyofduels

Envoyofduels

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:02 AM

1. All we can do is speculate about the future of the game. Most of the players I have talked with don't think there will be prequel stuff added but it's all just opinions as FFG hasn't really divulged all the things their license for the Star Wars IP encompasses. Which is their prerogative.

2. As far as I know, the longest standing LCG's are AGoT and LotR. Neither have had rotations bans or lists to my knowledge. One could assume that the same thing will apply to Star Wars. As of now, the card pool is relatively small because it's only been around so long and the variety is somewhat limited with the Objective Set system. More cards are on the way and I doubt there will be any drastic measures put in place for quite some time, if ever.

1. Thank you. Trust me I am no hurry into getting into other time periods as there is alot of rich stuff in the classic period for quite some time. It just would be nice to know if they could go in the direction albeit, years from now.

2. I ask because of what I've been seeing in Netrunner. Grant it, I have not played in some time so my knowledge is limited but its something I ponder.

LoTR never will, it isn't a competitive game.  AGoT needs to do something.  The card pool is to big, new players can't get into it (both cost and information overload), and they keep bringing out cards that introduce broken things because there so many possible interactions things get missed.

Apparently at Worlds they will announce what that something is.

That would be fantastic to get an idea of what they may do at worlds even though it is not a game I am interested in for what they may do down the line for the other games. I think I would like it if they had different Formats made up of cycles that aren't back to back, if you know what I mean.

I am glad that LCG have made it to my area but am sadden that they are slow at taking off and SWLCG is really slow here. The cities are in driving distance but I have my time locked up in TCGs. Don't worry FF, I love your products and will continue to buy them. Even if it is slow and for collection purposes.

-End of Line

#5 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:35 AM

I am sure that "Legacy" or whatever they end up calling it, where everything outside of the Restricted list is available, will remain the default tournament system. But having a way to play the game that doesn't demand an initial investment of hundreds of dollars, does make a lot of practical sense when you remember that what draws people to the LCG format at first is that it provides a seemingly cheaper alternative to the blind-buy of CCGs like Magic.

Edited by MarthWMaster, 02 September 2014 - 10:35 AM.

#6 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:32 AM

I am sure that "Legacy" or whatever they end up calling it, where everything outside of the Restricted list is available, will remain the default tournament system. But having a way to play the game that doesn't demand an initial investment of hundreds of dollars, does make a lot of practical sense when you remember that what draws people to the LCG format at first is that it provides a seemingly cheaper alternative to the blind-buy of CCGs like Magic.

Beginner tournaments should be a thing. To join you must have 2 core sets. The cores at the LGS would have a slightly reduced price and the tournament will only allow core set cards. That might bring more interest, if there were tournaments that focused on bringing in new ones with certain themes, especially if those themes utilized older cards. Another idea, run a Hoth tournament where people only use Hoth decks.

#7 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:50 AM

The Hoth thing would be difficult to adjudicate, since IMO a big part of the keyword's value relies on the assumption that players either have at least a couple objectives that don't possess it, and there is always a slight chance of losing position on Hoth. YMMV

Edited by MarthWMaster, 03 September 2014 - 03:50 AM.

#8 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:20 AM

The Hoth thing would be difficult to adjudicate, since IMO a big part of the keyword's value relies on the assumption that players either have at least a couple objectives that don't possess it, and there is always a slight chance of losing position on Hoth. YMMV

I can see it working if the players: 1. Were required to run 40% of their decks with Hoth Objectives and 2. Wrote down what Objective Sets they were running for the TO. It wouldn't really be a super serious competitive tournament anyway, it is a tournament for fun and for the newer players with a smaller card pool.

• MarthWMaster likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS