Photo

Mountains of Tokens and DooDads. Just How Many do You Need?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Farseerixirvost

Farseerixirvost

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:17 PM

For having your bag always packed and ready for game night or even an event, how many of the tokens/"DooDads" do you keep handy?

I can't imagine I will ever need 26 target locks, or 42 ship ID numbers, or even more than a dozen stress/focus/evades.

So how much of this stuff do you keep on hand in your transport bag/Plano box/carry all?

If I Live, I Will Kill You

If I Die, You Are Forgiven

Such Is The Rule Of Honor

#2 Two_Hands

Two_Hands

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:29 PM

Most of the time you will only be providing tokens for your own ships, so however many you need for your build is the maximum, ie 1 focus per ship (unless you have something like Rec Spec), 1 TL pair per ship etc. Sometimes you need quite a few odd tokens like stresses (if your opponent maxes out on stress giving options) but for most tokens it's only one per ship, so 4-5 will do.

ETA: I actually have all the tokens in my case (because I have space) but you don't NEED that many.

Edited by Two_Hands, 29 August 2014 - 09:31 PM.

#3 Blail Blerg

Blail Blerg

• Members
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:30 PM

I take them out and limit them.
I have 3 little cartons that are about an inch or two inches wide for shields and focuses, stress and crits and evades, numbers and bombs. (I have a small bag of ion tokens for when I need them)

I put two or three TL sets in each case only. This makes them very easy to match. Having different color stuff in one compartment drives some people mad. But it's actually much faster for grabbing instantly.

Id say for regular play you only need about 15 F 8 TL 10stress 10 crit 12 numbers all your shields and all your bombs.
The rest I put into bags and put it with my starter set.
I also keep my dials and baseplates with the ship models. My storage allows that. :)

ROLL RED, STAY THIRSTY FRIENDS. 

#4 Norym

Norym

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:45 PM

I usually bring enough tokens to field a game between me and someone who is new to the game or someone who came to play and did not bring their stuff. 

Need to remember to put stuff here later.

#5 Osoroshii

Osoroshii

龍神

• Members
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:48 PM

This is what I take with me.

Shields 20
Stress 10
Ions 5
Critical 5
Focus 12
Evade 10
Target lock 5
ID markers 1-10
4 cloak

#6 Azul

Azul

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:53 PM

It's hard to know how many to have at any given time.  I just feel so bad throwing excess tokens out... so I have a huge pile of them kicking around in bags that are stored in my starter boxes.

#7 xanderf

xanderf

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:04 PM

I've got two starter sets (because: obviously), so one of those boxes I use as my 'active' stash - no more than 8 ship numbers (because an 8-Academy-Pilot-Swarm is the max at 100 pts), 8 'focus' tokens, 8 'stress' tokens, etc.  And that one includes the movement templates, rulers, damage decks, most ship cards, etc.

And, then, as I keep getting new ships, just punch out all their tokens and toss them into baggies in the second box (along with duplicates of unusable extra 'unique' cards, etc).

#8 Arrow

Arrow

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:09 PM

Shields 20
Stress 10
Ions 5
Critical 5
Focus 12
Evade 10
Target lock 5
ID markers 1-10
4 cloak

Although I've got separate storage for each type of token, I also have a premade bag with a similar number of tokens for any given match.

#9 Stelar 7

Stelar 7

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:44 PM

I have a small Plano with enough focus, shield, stress, bomb, crit, cloak, number.... Tokens to field 400 points of whatever. So far the most I have had to provide in any game was 300 points, but I'm usually the one with the stuff. The rest of the tokens are tucked away in my starter box, where all new tokens, and duplicate pilots go to await attrition in the active use group.
Rebel scum: 5 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 3 B-Wings, 2 Hawks, 1Falcon, 2 E-Wings, 4 Z-95 1 Transport.

Imperial cannon fodder: 2 Phantoms, 2 Defenders, 7 Tie Fighters, 7 Interceptors, 3 Bombers, 2 Lambdas, 3 Firesprays, 1 Vader, er Tie Advanced

#10 Filter

Filter

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:53 PM

Shields 20
Stress 10
Ions 5
Critical 5
Focus 12
Evade 10
Target lock 5
ID markers 1-10
4 cloak

Pretty much what I take as well in 2 separate bags(held over from when I had a box for each faction). 15 shield tokes for Imperials and 20 for Rebel, 10 of each other token, 6 sets of TL spelling my initials and alas, only 1 cloak token since I only have 1 Phantom...so far. ID tokens 1-10 for Imperials and 11-19 for Rebels. I have a set of ID tokens 20-40whatever in a bag, all others and unused tokens sit in a box for when something goes missing.

#11 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

Ghostly Void Bison

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:43 PM

I have 11 stress with me, and if I start running Tycho, I probably need more. Lots more. As in, I'm not sure FFG has printed enough stress tokens yet for me to even theoretically have enough.

Come on down to Sable's Shuttle Emporium for all your Alabaster Void Bison needs!

5 TIE Advanced, 6 TIE Bomber, 4 TIE Defender, 10 TIE Fighter, 6 TIE Interceptor, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 Firespray, 5 Lambda, 2 VT-49

7 A-Wing, 7 B-Wing, 3 E-Wing, 7 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 6 Z-95, 4 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300, 2 YT-2400, 2 GR-75, 1 CR-90

#12 Introverdant

Introverdant

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:00 AM

I have 11 stress with me, and if I start running Tycho, I probably need more. Lots more. As in, I'm not sure FFG has printed enough stress tokens yet for me to even theoretically have enough.

Just bring some D10's to use as a stress tracker.

Five should be enough - one for each decimal place?

#13 Marinealver

Marinealver

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:50 AM

You mean to tell me you never spelled words with target locks tokens to pass the time?

IMAG0071.jpg

• Mikael Hasselstein, VanorDM, dandirk and 12 others like this

You can always start another round if you lost the last one.

#14 Blail Blerg

Blail Blerg

• Members
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:53 AM

U awesome

ROLL RED, STAY THIRSTY FRIENDS. 

#15 Two_Hands

Two_Hands

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:02 AM

Once you have 7 or 8 stress on Tycho you probably don't need to place any more, because you're never going to get rid of them all by the end of the game anyway (unless all your other ships have Wingman).

#16 Mikael Hasselstein

Mikael Hasselstein

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:24 AM

I don't have exact counts, but my road-kit has around the following:

~ 7 evade/focus (glued back-to-back)

~ 10 shields (though, playing Imperial I rarely used them.

~ 7 stress

~ 7 crits

~ 7 ion tokens

~ 5 target-lock pairs, rubber banded.

~ 1 cloak ('cuz I only have one Phantom)

1-8 ID tokens

I also only carry 10 black-painted bases and stems, with the bases having a thick washer rubber-cemented to the inside bottom. Anytime I get new bases, they just go into the grand zip-loc bag o' bases in the closet box. Same with tokes, etc. 

#17 simple31

simple31

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:29 AM

I always try to match the target lock letter to pilot or ship....

...I'll get my coat!

#18 Lagomorphia

Lagomorphia

• Members
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:35 AM

What's even the point in the crit tokens?

#19 IvlerIin

IvlerIin

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:43 AM

What's even the point in the crit tokens?

Reminders to refer back to the pilot cards? Sometimes I stack the damages in a pile on top of the pilot cards. With out the tokens I occasionally forget there is a Crit for that pilot. 

It's read as "Merlin"... and yes, like Ivlagic...

#20 Glentopher

Glentopher

Huge Member

• Members
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:31 AM

When I open my ships now the first thing I do is punch out the dial and ship tokens and throw the rest in the trash.

I have Acrylic tokens from applied perspective so I never use the card ones.
Scum: 1 Firespray, 1 HWK, 2 Y-Wing's, 4 Z-95's

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS