B-Wing Question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Osis of Liver

Sir Osis of Liver

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:35 PM

I'm trying to put a squad together with a couple of B-wings, and was wondering if AS was one of those must-have upgrades? I know it makes life easier around asteroids,but I haven't flown Bs without it. Ideas? For reference, here's the squad:

Roark Garnet (19 pts)
ICT (5 pts)
Nien Nunb (1 pt)
EU (4 pts)

Ibtisam (28 pts)
AS (3 pts)
Swarm Tactics (2 pts)

Blue Squadron Pilot (22 pts)
AS (3 pts)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12 pts) [99 pts total]

This is a just-for-fun build that I'm looking to play in a casual game. I'm looking at trying to do some arc dodging with the HWK (how messed up does that sound) between NN and EU. The Z-95 is supposed to be the "wingman" for Mr. Roark. I originally had Mr. Roark and Tala-too, but I went for the lower PS. Use Roark's ability to make Ibtisam go on 12, then with ST, have Blue go on 12 as well. The Z, however, can't keep up with the HWK. Again, how messed up is that?

I'm contemplating taking out the AS from the Bs, to get EU onto the Bandit. Thoughts?

[EDIT] Failed my DEX check on the ICT cost due to large thumbs on small tablet.

Edited by Sir Osis of Liver, 29 August 2014 - 07:38 PM.

Sir Osis of Liver
Rebel: X-wing x4, Y-wing x2, A-wing x3, (1 Aces) B-wing x3, HWK x2, YT-1300 x1, Z-95 x2, E-Wing x2, GR-75 x1
Imperial: TIE l/n x6, Interceptor x4 (1 Aces), Advanced x1, Bomber x2, Lambda x1, Firespray x1, Defender x2, Phantom x2
Game board: Fat Dragon Games E-Z Battlefields: Starship Attack (FDG-0131)

#2 Jaden Ckast

Jaden Ckast

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:43 PM

It's not a must have, some people prefer it others don't. It does make life easier and you can use it to your advantage sometimes by tucking yourself right behind an asteroid to get an extra agility or by barrel rolling first and hard turning for a hyper mobile situation but it's def not a must have. Another common upgrade for bwings is fire control system, again not a must have but it gives you free TL's so why not.
  • Sir Osis of Liver likes this

#3 Wilhelm Screamer

Wilhelm Screamer

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:56 PM

B-wings without ion cannons feel dirty and wrong to me, but yeah advanced sensors are the bantha poodo.

Edited by Wilhelm Screamer, 29 August 2014 - 07:57 PM.

• xanderf, Slugrage and Sir Osis of Liver like this
Not North, South, East, or West: 7 Ties, 1 Advanced, 1 Interceptor (and 2 aces packs), 1 Lambda (totally gonna buy 3 more), 1 Firespray, 1 Defender, 1 Phantom, 2 Bombers, 1 VT-49
Glorified Terrorists: 4 X-wings, 2 Y-wings, 1 A-wing, 1 B-wing (plus aces), 1 E-wing, 1 YT-1300, 1 HWK, 1 GR-75, 4 Headhunters, 1 YT-2400

#4 UniJustin

UniJustin

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:17 PM

I find that a lot of people feel that Advanced Sensors are like the training wheels of the B-Wing. I don't really agree with this sentiment. Sure they allow you to Barrel Roll out from behind asteroids,or Barrel Roll to fix a poorly chosen maneuver, but they create so many more advantages that a savvy pilot can exploit. Low PS ships get in your way to block? Take your action first, collide with them, then shoot their squadmates. Once you're in the thick of it you can start K-Turning and still focus or target lock. That's amazing, combined with the B-Wings 2 Speed K and you're more often than not 180ing into Range 1.
B-Wings are my favorite ship in the game and I almost never fly them without Advanced Sensors.
  • Sir Osis of Liver likes this
Stay on target...

#5 Ailowynn

Ailowynn

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:20 PM

The B-Wing by itself is a solid ship. It doesn't need anything, like the HWK needs turrets (for example). But AdvS is very, very nice, as it makes it a ship that is no longer hilariously easy to outwit and outmaneuver.

• UniJustin likes this

#6 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

Ghostly Void Bison

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:45 PM

Advanced Sensors are nice, but I can rarely justify them when Sensor Jammers are one more point. Oh so worth it.

• Dagonet likes this

Come on down to Sable's Shuttle Emporium for all your Alabaster Void Bison needs!

5 TIE Advanced, 6 TIE Bomber, 4 TIE Defender, 10 TIE Fighter, 6 TIE Interceptor, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 Firespray, 5 Lambda, 2 VT-49

7 A-Wing, 7 B-Wing, 3 E-Wing, 7 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 6 Z-95, 4 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300, 2 YT-2400, 2 GR-75, 1 CR-90

#7 Sir Osis of Liver

Sir Osis of Liver

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for the feedback, all. Most appreciated. I'll probably run the squad with and without the AS to see what I like better. Should be fun. :)
Sir Osis of Liver
Rebel: X-wing x4, Y-wing x2, A-wing x3, (1 Aces) B-wing x3, HWK x2, YT-1300 x1, Z-95 x2, E-Wing x2, GR-75 x1
Imperial: TIE l/n x6, Interceptor x4 (1 Aces), Advanced x1, Bomber x2, Lambda x1, Firespray x1, Defender x2, Phantom x2
Game board: Fat Dragon Games E-Z Battlefields: Starship Attack (FDG-0131)

#8 Duty Remains

Duty Remains

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:04 PM

Adv. Sensors are nice but I really don't like them with Ibtisam, its hard to capitalize on both her ability and Adv Sensors.

Generally speaking she should generally be stressed before movement, I find sensor jammer or fire control to be a better choice on Ibbie...

My current B-wing list is

Wes Janson w/ VI + R7-T1

Blue Squadron w/ HLC + Sensor Jammers

Blue Squadron w/ HLC + Sensor Jammers

Suffers against swarms but swarms are pretty much extinct in my area so not a problem for me...

Edited by Duty Remains, 31 August 2014 - 11:06 PM.

#9 catachanninja

catachanninja

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:23 AM

As stated above you don't need any upgrades on the b wing. That said fire control system and advanced sensors are both great. Advanced is especially nice against swarms and fcs is great against larger ships or really anything more durable than a tie. I will add that, in my opinion, advanced sensors is more useful on daggers and up
Make your swords become like things unto chainsaws

#10 Joostuh

Joostuh

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:54 AM

AS is great as it gives you a huge amount of options. However it conflicts greatly with Ibitsams ability because you want her to be stressed in the combat phase. Next turn you need to green move to shed that stress before you can use an action.

#11 Caliber42

Caliber42

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:52 AM

EDITED: Re-read, used my head, figured it out...

Edited by Caliber42, 01 September 2014 - 05:53 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS