It's time to ban C3P0

• Please log in to reply
418 replies to this topic

#21 Explosive Ewok

Explosive Ewok

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:48 PM

OMG everything is so OP, we should just ban all ships and upgrades and to make it fair we can all just play as asteroids.

Oh come on, asteroids can take away actions and the ability to fire.

SO MUCH OVERPOWERDZ

• EvaUnit02, Millennium Falsehood, algnc and 6 others like this
"The world is like a ride at an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds really are..."

#22 Urrgok

Urrgok

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:49 PM

Actually, I'd rather see Biggs banned. Not because he's wildly overpowered, I just think the idea of taking away player choices (in Biggs's case, the opponent's choice of target) runs counter to what tabletop gaming is all about.

And yes, I understand this will never happen, so no need to debate the likelihood of FFG actually pulling Biggs from the game.

• Vorpal Sword and Hobojebus like this

#23 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

That's why Ruthlessness is being introduced into the game.

And if Threepio is THAT big of a problem on the Falcon, why aren't you packing Outmaneuver.

• VanorDM, algnc, negative9 and 1 other like this

#24 Spaceman91

Spaceman91

• Members
  • 533 posts

Yay I haven't seen a random troll thread for a while ( week maybe ).

1. It does not need fixing, too many thing can mess it up.

2. Who has cookies? I'm bored and want cookies.

Edited by Spaceman91, 27 August 2014 - 12:51 PM.

• Vonpenguin, Vorpal Sword, GroggyGolem and 3 others like this
I didn't mean for it to get this bad.

#25 TheTuninator

TheTuninator

• Members
  • 82 posts

In most competitive games, the meta tends to sort itself out, given time. X-Wing is no different.

#26 Mattador Actual

Mattador Actual

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

if you guess 0, you either get your natural evade and not c3po's, or you get c3po's. Combined with falcon title thats 2 100% evades per turn.

How is that 2 100% evades per turn?  MF title just adds Evade to your action bar. 

I don't play tournies, and I own a printer, my solutions are as follows:

"C3PO comes with a $90 (msrp) ship.  If you wanna spend that for one freaking card, go ahead stupid"

or

"you can't guess 0 evades"

#27 Explosive Ewok

Explosive Ewok

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

9914009.0.jpg

• Vonpenguin, VanorDM, JBouthietteJr and 16 others like this
"The world is like a ride at an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds really are..."

#28 InvestFDC

InvestFDC

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:54 PM

Fat Falcons have ruined the small ship meta; when 6 out of 8 top lists at any given tournament and 25-30% of the player base are carbon copies of the same silly Falcon build utterly killing diversity it's time we had some action from FFG. 

I vote that C3P0's text be errata'd to Huge Ship Only.

You know, I'm trying to construct a logical response to this, but I'm tired and grumpy and I just can't. Maybe we could we all just agree that I composed some lengthy post explaining in detail why this is crazy, and proceed on that basis?

Wow, that was lengthy and detailed, I am unable to refute any of your logical arguments, this is indeed crazy!! You've got my vote!!

• Millennium Falsehood, z0m4d and chilligan like this

#29 JFunk

JFunk

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

C3P0 is a great card. It's thematic and balanced.

Try shooting the Falcon with more than one ship: Problem Solved. 

You do realize that 3po only works once per turn right?

Edit: I'm grumpy like Vorpal. I'm in Florida and the AC just went out.

Edited by JFunk, 27 August 2014 - 01:00 PM.

• GroggyGolem, Millennium Falsehood, Bipolar Potter and 4 others like this

#30 Urrgok

Urrgok

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

if you guess 0, you either get your natural evade and not c3po's, or you get c3po's. Combined with falcon title thats 2 100% evades per turn.

How is that 2 100% evades per turn?  MF title just adds Evade to your action bar. 

"C3PO comes with a $90 (msrp) ship.  If you wanna spend that for one freaking card, go ahead stupid"

or

Can't guess 0? Is that an official ruling?

#31 Gibarian

Gibarian

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:56 PM

I've suggested two possible fixes in other threads but I'll post them again here.

1) Can't guess 0 for evades

2) Can't be used on a ship with MF title

The second option doesn't make much sense lore wise, so option 1 is probably better. 

It's no longer worth 3 points after option #1

#32 Crabbok

Crabbok

The Doctor

• Members
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

C-3PO is fine.   He's a 3 point upgrade that gives you ONE evade per round - and that isn't even 100%, (considering Wedge, Outmaneuver, or some other nasty thing can reduce your agility).   

He is most effective against SMALL lists - his obvious counter is medium and large size lists.   It's less useful than taking an evade action, since an evade still blocks some damage from Wedge.  There are other 3 point upgrades that give the semi-equivalent of a free action - such as predator.  

#33 Spaceman91

Spaceman91

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

9914009.0.jpg

Probably really sad to admit this but that has made my day

Ps: C IS FOR COOKIE, C IS FOR COOKIE!!!!
  • Vorpal Sword, Explosive Ewok and Slain309 like this
I didn't mean for it to get this bad.

#34 WizzBif

WizzBif

• Members
  • 38 posts

I know I'm going to need a flame-retardant suit to post in here, but I think FFG has somewhat put themselves in a tough spot with the 3PO card. It's probably the only thing in they game that they've done that has left a sour taste in my mouth (which isn't too bad given the amount of time the game has been out and the amount of variation in the game). I should also say that I primarily play Rebels and love the Falcon, so this isn't merely sour grapes from an Imp player. If you own a Tantive, then it really feels like 3PO is an auto-include these days. I don't think this is directly comparable to ACD for two reasons 1) you're forced to buy the Tantive to get 3PO, which is downright mean of FFG for reasons that have been covered before on the forum, and 2) 3PO pretty much makes the Chewie crew card obsolete since it's better in almost all circumstances and cheaper to boot. I do wish they would either disallow it for non-epic play (since it comes with an epic ship) or nerf it so you can't guess 0.

#35 gekigangerv

gekigangerv

• Members
  • 63 posts

Nope.  Learn how to fight against it.

• Millennium Falsehood and Slain309 like this

#36 Mattador Actual

Mattador Actual

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:00 PM

or

Can't guess 0? Is that an official ruling?

oh, god no.  If the card were to be erratad, that seems to be the least offensive way to do it.  But like someone said upthread, it's not quite worth it then.  But i don't know anything.  I should probably stay away from the chicken littles and trolls.

#37 Rinehart

Rinehart

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:01 PM

Why is it crazy? Do you have some vested interest in playing only two lists ever in tournaments, Fat Han/ Phantom Miniswarm? 

You do realize that neither a Fat Han nor a Phantom Miniswarm won the big GenCon tournament, right?  

C3P0 is just fine.  The game so heavily favored offense through the first few waves that playing a defensive game was a losing strategy, now FFG is just adding in some solid defensive upgrades to make a defensive game viable.  

#38 RoosterOnAWire

RoosterOnAWire

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:02 PM

OMG everything is so OP, we should just ban all ships and upgrades and to make it fair we can all just play as asteroids.

Asteroids are OP

Rebel Scum: 3 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 5 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290s, 2 YT-1300, 5 Z-95 Headhunters, 3 E-Wings, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 Tantive IVGalactic Empire Peacekeepers: 11 TIE Fighters, 2 TIE Advanced, 9 TIE Interceptors, 6 TIE Bombers, 2 Firesprays, 4 Lambda Shuttles, 3 TIE Phantoms, 3 TIE Defenders<p>

#39 gekigangerv

gekigangerv

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:03 PM

I've suggested two possible fixes in other threads but I'll post them again here.

1) Can't guess 0 for evades

2) Can't be used on a ship with MF title

The second option doesn't make much sense lore wise, so option 1 is probably better. 

This is one of the dumbest things I've read in a long time.  It's right up there with "If she's on top, she can't get pregnant."

Note: I'm not saying that you've ever said the she's on top statement.

• Wookie Hunter and Bipolar Potter like this

#40 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:04 PM

I think it might be worth stopping the stoning long enough to consider looking at this from a different angle.

Does C-3PO deserve to be banned?  Probably not.  Is it 100% Falcons everywhere?  No.  But it IS influencing the meta in a way a lot of players don't seem to be enjoying.

And isn't that kinda what "Fly Casual" should be about?  We make a ton of noise about being a friendly, welcoming, play-for-fun community... until someone dares suggest they're not having fun in dealing with a specific card.  Then it's torches and pitchforks time.

I'm honestly coming to think the X-wing community's self-declared friendly awesomeness is misplaced.

• Hinnyboy, Budgernaut, VanorDM and 13 others like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS