It's time to ban C3P0

• Please log in to reply
418 replies to this topic

#1 Darth Ruin

Darth Ruin

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:13 PM

Fat Falcons have ruined the small ship meta; when 6 out of 8 top lists at any given tournament and 25-30% of the player base are carbon copies of the same silly Falcon build utterly killing diversity it's time we had some action from FFG. 

I vote that C3P0's text be errata'd to Huge Ship Only. 

Edited by Darth Ruin, 27 August 2014 - 12:13 PM.

• Toppis and oncogene like this

#2 Julio

Julio

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:16 PM

They do not have ruined anything, and it is easy enough to develop lists countering that, which will significantly decrease the use of Fat Falcons down the road. And, C3P0 is good, but not THAT good, since it only works ONCE per round. Therefore, if you have a swarm as an opponent for example, C3P0 will not change much. 

Bottom line: it does not need to be banned and is not OP in any way.

• haslo, Vonpenguin, CatPeeler and 16 others like this

#3 Caliber42

Caliber42

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:16 PM

And I thought today was going to be a slow day on the boards...

-Cal

• haslo, Revanchist, Slugrage and 6 others like this

#4 Zarynterk

Zarynterk

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:18 PM

And correct me if I am wrong... but its a guess??? You guess first and if you're right you get an extra... am I missing something here about the sooopa OP 3PO lol?

Keeping that Imp hand strong...

Imp: 8 TIE Fighters, 4 TIE Bombers, 12 TIE Interceptors, 3 TIE Advanced, 4 TIE Phantoms, 3 TIE Defenders, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 2 Firesprays
Reb: 3 A-Wings, 3 B-Wing, 6 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 3 E-Wings, 2 HWK-290, 5 Z-95s, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75

#5 EvilEd209

EvilEd209

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:19 PM

This one again?  So after we ban C3P0 and Advanced Cloaking Devices, where will that put us?

• z0m4d likes this

Host
NOVA Squadron Radio
"Your home for competitive and tactical discussion on the X-Wing Miniatures Game" 
www.novasquadronradio.com

#6 nurglez

nurglez

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:20 PM

if you guess 0, you either get your natural evade and not c3po's, or you get c3po's. Combined with falcon title thats 2 100% evades per turn.

• EvilEd209 and oncogene like this

ships owned

Empire : 3 Firesprays, 7 Tie fighters, 1 Tie advanced, 5 Tie interceptors, 3 Tie bombers, 2 Lambdas, 2 Defenders, 2 Phantoms, 1 Decimator

Rebel scum: 5 X wings, 4 A wings, 3 B wings, 3 Y wing, 2 E wing, 2 Z's, 2 Hwk, 1 Falcon, 1 Outrider,1 Transport, 1 Tantive

#7 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:20 PM

No.

• Vorpal Sword, maxx, DR4CO and 5 others like this

#8 JFunk

JFunk

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:21 PM

The sky is falling... again?

• Vorpal Sword, DR4CO, z0m4d and 2 others like this

#9 Zarynterk

Zarynterk

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:22 PM

if you guess 0, you either get your natural evade and not c3po's, or you get c3po's. Combined with falcon title thats 2 100% evades per turn.

Ok this makes more sense to me... but as stated above if you're facing Howl with a bunch of TIEs thats 14 shots coming at you, some of which will get to re-roll a miss... yeah don't see that as being OP.

• FTS Gecko likes this

Keeping that Imp hand strong...

Imp: 8 TIE Fighters, 4 TIE Bombers, 12 TIE Interceptors, 3 TIE Advanced, 4 TIE Phantoms, 3 TIE Defenders, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 2 Firesprays
Reb: 3 A-Wings, 3 B-Wing, 6 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 3 E-Wings, 2 HWK-290, 5 Z-95s, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75

#10 AdmiralThrawn

AdmiralThrawn

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:22 PM

POPULAR

OMG everything is so OP, we should just ban all ships and upgrades and to make it fair we can all just play as asteroids.

• any2cards, haslo, Disgruntled and 44 others like this

"Information always matters. Bad information leads to bad tactics. Incomplete information leads to flawed strategy. Both can lead to defeat."

#11 RogueLieutenant

RogueLieutenant

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:25 PM

OMG everything is so OP, we should just ban all ships and upgrades and to make it fair we can all just play as asteroids.

Exogorth OP

• Parakitor, just_chris, Millennium Falsehood and 2 others like this

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Looking for a podcast that talks and writes about X-Wing (and other FFG Star Wars games)? 

Here you go: The Jodo Cast 

#12 RogueLieutenant

RogueLieutenant

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:26 PM

3PO isn't much use on huge ships though is he? Since it'd only happen if being shot at at range 3 or through an asteroid right? 

P.S. no need to ban anything. 

• Rob Jedi likes this

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Looking for a podcast that talks and writes about X-Wing (and other FFG Star Wars games)? 

Here you go: The Jodo Cast 

#13 nikk whyte

nikk whyte

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:30 PM

Also, we held a pre-rebel aces store tourney in north atlanta yesterday. I believe I only saw 2 falcon lists, out of 20 total players.
  • tantive4 likes this

Current fleet:
Rebel: x-wing, y-wing, HWK-290, yt-1300, e-wing, z-95, a-wing, b-wing

Imperial: 2 tie fighters, 2 interceptors, tie phantom, tie advanced, firespray, defender, bomber

#14 EvilEd209

EvilEd209

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

Rock - TIE Swarm
Paper - TIE Phantom
Scissors - Fat Falcons w/3P0 and MF title

3P0 is good, but had some hard counters, just like TIE Phantoms do, just like Swarms do...

• Wacko, Rob Jedi, Shocker and 2 others like this

Host
NOVA Squadron Radio
"Your home for competitive and tactical discussion on the X-Wing Miniatures Game" 
www.novasquadronradio.com

#15 markcsoul

markcsoul

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:34 PM

I've suggested two possible fixes in other threads but I'll post them again here.

1) Can't guess 0 for evades

2) Can't be used on a ship with MF title

The second option doesn't make much sense lore wise, so option 1 is probably better. 

• Torresse and EvilEd209 like this

REBEL: 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 3 X-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 1 Z-95, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75

IMPERIAL: 1 Advanced, 1 Bomber, 2 Defenders, 3 Fighters, 3 Interceptors, 1 Phantom, 2 Firesprays, 1 Shuttle

SCUM: TBD

#16 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

POPULAR

Fat Falcons have ruined the small ship meta; when 6 out of 8 top lists at any given tournament and 25-30% of the player base are carbon copies of the same silly Falcon build utterly killing diversity it's time we had some action from FFG. 

I vote that C3P0's text be errata'd to Huge Ship Only.

You know, I'm trying to construct a logical response to this, but I'm tired and grumpy and I just can't. Maybe we could we all just agree that I composed some lengthy post explaining in detail why this is crazy, and proceed on that basis?
  • any2cards, Kahadras, EvaUnit02 and 40 others like this

#17 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:44 PM

Because the only thing better than banning a card is errata'ing it into near uselessness.

• DR4CO and z0m4d like this

#18 Darth Ruin

Darth Ruin

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:44 PM

Why is it crazy? Do you have some vested interest in playing only two lists ever in tournaments, Fat Han/ Phantom Miniswarm? 

#19 Gundog8324

Gundog8324

• Members
  • 966 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:45 PM

I would prefer it to be changed to 1 or more dice not when rolling more than 0 dice.  But putting it on a huge ship is nearly useless because they can roll 0 dice unless at range 3+ against primary attacks

#20 Blail Blerg

Blail Blerg

• Members
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:45 PM

The problem is that both of those lists are massive extremes and winning one might mean losing to the other.

Here's a question. Who actually can fight a phantom with a suboptimal build against it? What build did you use (and why it's bad against the phantom)? And how did you fly to overcome that?
  • catachanninja likes this

ROLL RED, STAY THIRSTY FRIENDS. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS