Photo

Is there an imperial aircraft that can hang in midair?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Commediante

Commediante

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:16 PM

What do you think? Or is the Imperium not familiar with the idea of helicopters?

#2 TorogTarkdacil812

TorogTarkdacil812

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:58 PM

Well, for one there is whole family of Valkyre class flyers (Valkyre Airborne Carrier, Valkyre Sky Talon Heavy Lift, Valkyre Spectre (void capable, enlarged version mentioned in Redemption Corps novel, often used in covert operations), Vulture Gunship, Vendetta Gunship and Xerxes Support Gunship variant of Valkyre packing awful lot of rocket pods presented in Pandorax). They are not helicopters, but more like turbine hover/flyer craft, which is popular substitute in military scifi for helicopters. Quake Wars, Avatar and C&C: Tiberium Wars are just few which instantly pop in my mind.

To expand this, at least according to the THE flyboy novel of 40k, Dan Abnetts Double Eagle, all Imperial Fighter, at least named Thunderbolts and Lightnings, are VTOL aircraft, also possesing somehing called "vector engines", under which I imagined something similiar to the maneuvering thrusters of reimagined BSG Viper, just atmospheric cabable. I also have a faint memory, that there was a Harrier-like hovering Lightning gunning down the Chaos Marines to save the day, Arnie-style, in one BL novel. But it was probably Henry Zou novel so please, do not force me to remember.

Then, there is a whole host of Aquilla shuttles, Arvus landers, Tetrarch assault landers, guncutters and military shuttles which function basically as your generic scifi shuttles. Also, apparently gyrocopters are also popular with some Imperial World/Black Library and FFG writers. :ph34r:

And last, but not least, Imperial Skyshield landing pad implies the vast prevalence of at least VTOL capability, if not outright hovering, at least in Imperial military flying hardware. I hope this was helpful  :) 

• Robin Graves likes this

There is nothing as good as seeing rebel scum running out of a cave full of gas, right into the blasters of your battalion-–well, except sunrises, but for those you have to get up early.

#3 Robin Graves

Robin Graves

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:01 PM

I agree, Valkyries have those little engines on their wing tips. They should be able to VTOL.

And besides the imperium doesn't care much about the laws of aerodynamics- just look at some the space marine fliers!

Aerodynamics is heresy!

Edited by Robin Graves, 25 August 2014 - 05:02 PM.

#4 TorogTarkdacil812

TorogTarkdacil812

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:09 PM

Aerodynamics is heresy!

But superior firepower is not! :D

There is nothing as good as seeing rebel scum running out of a cave full of gas, right into the blasters of your battalion-–well, except sunrises, but for those you have to get up early.

#5 Drath

Drath

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:46 AM

They actually CAN. I've seen it in two books. One: The Anphelion Project. Elysian drop troopers rope down onto the ground. Two: Some short story. Bunch of storm troopers and their inquisitor shoot out a corrupted cathedrals windows, killing cultists whilst hovering, then jumping down.

Also, someone, somewhere, must've built a helicopter in the WHOLE Imperium. It's just logical.

'Cynic' Brooker of the Saurian Survivors.

Corvo, Chief Of Arms for the royal Emperors ship 'Glorious Might'.

And, GM of all the above.

#6 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:56 AM

Just steal the rules from Rogue Trader: Into the Storm.

And most of their aircrafts are also skimmers, whih means they can explicitly hover.

#7 TorogTarkdacil812

TorogTarkdacil812

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:17 AM

Just steal the rules from Rogue Trader: Into the Storm.

And most of their aircrafts are also skimmers, whih means they can explicitly hover.

Just asking (sorry if I go offtopic), but are there any non-Astartes flyers in Deathwatch as well? I am not sure just from the memory.

#8 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:33 AM

I don't remember any, but I think the Skimmer rules were in DW as well, now that you mention it - the Tau have plenty of skimmers, so they'd need them.

RT has Aquilas, Arvus, Guncutters and a number of other flier - and is a more interesting game to boot, so that's where I usually look :)

#9 Robin Graves

Robin Graves

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:58 PM

They actually CAN. I've seen it in two books. One: The Anphelion Project. Elysian drop troopers rope down onto the ground. Two: Some short story. Bunch of storm troopers and their inquisitor shoot out a corrupted cathedrals windows, killing cultists whilst hovering, then jumping down.

Also, someone, somewhere, must've built a helicopter in the WHOLE Imperium. It's just logical.

Euh... we're talking about people who say a prayer when they switch on their cofee-maker (probably). and acording to codex dark angels the master of the ravenwing's jetbike is the last working one in the Imperium. For all we know rotor aircraft or on the same taboo list as artificial inteligence.

#10 FoeHammer618

FoeHammer618

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

If I recall the space marine video game had Valkyries and thunderhawks both as hoverers

#11 Commediante

Commediante

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:26 AM

What about small scout crafts from which cscan observe ground?

#12 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 03:36 PM

What are your requirements for these?

Because I'd probably just use Aquilae.

#13 javcs

javcs

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:09 PM

RT Into the Storm sourcebook, vehicles section, had a scout/surveillance airbreather. Could Vertol for 2 minutes at a time. Unarmed, though. And no passenger capacity.

Valkyries and their derivatives are Vertol capable. The only official Valkyrie/variant stats is the Valkyrie Sky Talon in RT Citadel of Skulls. Which is downright ridiculous. Regular Valks should have already been released.

Euh... we're talking about people who say a prayer when they switch on their cofee-maker (probably). and acording to codex dark angels the master of the ravenwing's jetbike is the last working one in the Imperium. For all we know rotor aircraft or on the same taboo list as artificial inteligence.

Eh ... I prefer to think that that jetbike is the last working one of its kind/pattern/model, and there are a handful of jetbikes still working out there, but they're mostly too valuable to use or have been locked away and forgotten, or are in some Magos's secure labs for study/examination.

Oh, except for the Custodes. They've got jetbikes, but they're all in storage, cuz they don't go anywhere/do anything with them these days. That goes for just about everything in the Custodes arsenal - they've still got their stuff, it still works ... they just don't do anything with it.

#14 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:12 AM

RT Into the Storm sourcebook, vehicles section, had a scout/surveillance airbreather. Could Vertol for 2 minutes at a time. Unarmed, though. And no passenger capacity.

Into the Storm had already been mentioned.
And if you read the Chiroptera (sp?), I doubt it would be used by the guard :)

Valkyries and their derivatives are Vertol capable. The only official Valkyrie/variant stats is the Valkyrie Sky Talon in RT Citadel of Skulls. Which is downright ridiculous. Regular Valks should have already been released.

...as has been discussed repeatedly on these boards...

#15 Face Eater

Face Eater

• Members
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:22 AM

Basically the Valkyrie (and it's varients) and the Vulture are direct future counterparts to the troop carrying (multiple purpose really) and gunship hellicopters using by most modern militaries. Even down to being directly attached to IG regiments where as the 'fast movers' remain operated by the Imperial Navy.

For actual hellicopters though, only the Orks use them in the main armies but I assume there's plenty used by individuals and PDF's throughout the Imperium that don't really get any coverage.

#16 javcs

javcs

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:32 AM

Basically the Valkyrie (and it's varients) and the Vulture are direct future counterparts to the troop carrying (multiple purpose really) and gunship hellicopters using by most modern militaries. Even down to being directly attached to IG regiments where as the 'fast movers' remain operated by the Imperial Navy.

For actual hellicopters though, only the Orks use them in the main armies but I assume there's plenty used by individuals and PDF's throughout the Imperium that don't really get any coverage.

This is a good point, though I'd say that their origins have more in common with something like the Osprey than a more conventional helicopter.

Also, despite potentially being directly attached to IG regiments/units, they're still officially Navy Auxiliary forces, rather than being Guard forces.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS