Photo

When and where do you get your monthly packs from?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 jormungandr

jormungandr

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:48 AM

FLGS

#22 Olorin93

Olorin93

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:20 AM

I'm subscribed to Team Covenant's monthly service as of rather recently. It costs extra to ship from the US to Sweden of course, but I calculated the total costs of a six-month subscription and realised that it would barely be cheaper to dig through Amazon and Ebay manually and pay for individual postage. They get the packs pretty early and it's really convenient to have them delivered to your door. Plus, I really like their videos and happily support them! I'm expecting Trouble in Tharbad in a short while.

• Catastrophic09 and Teamjimby like this

#23 deeth82

deeth82

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:30 AM

I'm still catching up on purchases (about to start the Against the Shadow cycle), and it's pretty much all purchased through Amazon.  We have a really nice game store here in Lexington, SC that I just recently discovered and thought about subscribing with, but the prices on Amazon can't be beat with Prime shipping (saving $5-$7 per AP).  The only area where the game store wins out is the cost of sleeves, and I'm sure that's a very low profit margin for them.  To top it all off, the FLGS is moving clear across the county at the first of next month, so finding that out kind of sealed the deal for me.  When I finally catch up to what's currently being released, I'll probably still order through Amazon, as the quick shipping and low price are really tough to compete with.

Edited by deeth82, 26 August 2014 - 08:30 AM.

• Catastrophic09 likes this

"Death! Ride, ride to ruin and the world’s ending!”

#24 Catastrophic09

Catastrophic09

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:13 PM

Nice, it seems everyone gets their packs a little differently. The main factors are price, arrival time and supporting something.  So for some, they want to save as much as possible but other want to support their game store so are willing to pay extra and then some just want packs as soon as possible so will pay extra!

I bought the core and a few of the Mirkwood packs from a game store to get started on this game but have since mostly bought everything online because the few bucks you save you can put into more packs. In general between Amazon and Ebay I could easily get AP packs for $12-13 and the bigger boxes as low as $21 which includes shipping and taxes so that's way cheaper and saves a lot!

Now that I've been caught up with the current releases for a few months, buying online can be a bit annoying as you have to wait a while to get your hands on the newest exciting packs and they're almost full price when newly released anyway so I may switch up to Team Covenant subscriptions  :)

• deeth82 likes this

#25 Ineti

Ineti

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

I get almost all of my gaming stuff from coolstuff. I wait until I have enough wanted product in my wishlist to hit the free shipping threshold.

• deeth82 likes this

#26 Catastrophic09

Catastrophic09

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:33 AM

I get almost all of my gaming stuff from coolstuff. I wait until I have enough wanted product in my wishlist to hit the free shipping threshold.

Nice, definitely seems like a good option especially if you're into several games and can easily get into free shipping.

#27 Caerdowyn

Caerdowyn

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:16 AM

My FLGS has a standing order for all things LOTR lcg. As soon as they have an adventure pack/expansion box in they send me a text message. 

Stuff usually arrives 1-2 weeks after announcing the release.

• PsychoRocka and deeth82 like this

#28 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:26 AM

My FLGS has a standing order for all things LOTR lcg. As soon as they have an adventure pack/expansion box in they send me a text message. 

Stuff usually arrives 1-2 weeks after announcing the release.

Yeah I have more or less the same setup when I don't buy online earlier, guy who works at my local game store texts me when they have stuff. Takes about two and a half weeks from release date.
  • Caerdowyn likes this

#29 Isfret

Isfret

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:42 AM

I'm still a fairly new player, so I'm still catching up. Sofar I'm only at Khazad-dûm and have the first hobbit box.

I have bought most through Amazon, but recently found a local webshop that is cheaper and delivers faster. So I'll be buying all my stuff from them from now on.

#30 CJMatos

CJMatos

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:09 AM

As i'm not US based I usually get them from http://www.bookdepository.com/

Carlos José Matos

#31 gandalfDK

gandalfDK

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:11 PM

I always try to find the cheapest deal, my next purchase will be Khazad-dum and the Dwarrowdelf cycle. Alas I don't live in the US, because apparently then CSI's free shipping doesn't count..
So I'm buying at summoner.nl, my FLGS. Thats the easiest way, cause I'm a bit tired of searching for better deals, and they are really nice people + fast delivery and they get in stock fast.
US prices are just much lower then in Europe so sometimes I'm trying to get them somewhere with low shipping costs.

‘If more of us valued food and cheer and a game of Lotr Lcg above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.’ – Thorin Oakenshield

#32 benhanses

benhanses

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:17 PM

My LGS is kinda geared towards a few of THEIR favorite games, and everything else is kindof an afterthought for them.  I've picked up a few packs there if they're already in stock.  But they could care less about LOTR:LCG and usually don't get it in until at least a week after it's been released (sometimes longer).  So between LOTR and a few other games I've been trying to build (Dominion, SW:CLG, etc), I just usually gather what I need from Coolstuffinc.com.  Since I would have to wait about the same amount of time to get it locally as I would to wait for the shipping to get here.  Plus my gaming addiction.... er, hobby... has made me spend enough money there to get to their 7th level of discounts.  It's not a huge discount, but with the free shipping I usually get, it adds up!

"... but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend...."       -Faramir, The Lord of the Rings, Book IV, The Window of the West)

"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."     - C.S. Lewis

#33 shipwreck

shipwreck

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:54 PM

My flgs all the way.

The Grey Company; Master of Lore; & Frebooter Kommand are all things I work on.

#34 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

FLGS. They have a nice online system where you can reserve everything in advance, and they call me when it comes into the store.

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#35 Ineti

Ineti

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:19 PM

Nice, definitely seems like a good option especially if you're into several games and can easily get into free shipping.

Yeah. The release schedules for the LOTR LCG, Star Wars LCG, Edge of the Empire, and Age of Rebellion are regular enough that it doesn't take more than a couple months to have enough new product to get the free shipping. I don't need the new packs right away, so I wait a month or two then buy several all at once, a veritable gamer's orgy of products a few times a year.

#36 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:49 AM

There's no store in Chile that brings Lotr lcg with any kind of regularity, so I just order the expansions from Thebookdepository.com, which has free shipping so it's pretty cheap to import them. The bad thing is that they take more or less 1 month to arrive, and they don't have POD quests or Nightmare packs.

When I was just getting into the game and catching up with new packs I used book depo.

Luckily for me my local shops owner is as keen on the game as I am so he gets packs in ASAP.

#37 klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:32 AM

Usually bookdepository, because it is cheaper than what passes for our FLGS (if you consider distance of 90 kilometres being "local") and with no shipping fees. It does usually appear there later than on, say, Amazon, but again, still better than our shitty excuses of a FLGS.

#38 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:13 AM

I try to get them anywhere anytime!

this :D though if i had a local game store id support them

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#39 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:34 AM

I try to get them anywhere anytime!

this :D though if i had a local game store id support them

I do have a shop in Bangkok where i can get a LOTR but sometimes is more quickly to get is some other country since i travel a lot. *** is still not here....... Probably i need to wait couple of weeks.... :(

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS