The Ring-bearer's Trials

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:31 AM

The only thing I hope about is there is a way to escape without killing Barlog.

Yeah same, I ain't sacrificing no hero! I bet you do have to though..... if he shows up that is. It sounds like you can complete the quest rushing through before the Balrog can even get close and if you take too long he shows up. It also sounds like if he DOES show up you must defeat him before you can win which essentially means you HAVE to sacrifice a hero in this case to remove indestructible....

I really want to fight and beat it WITHOUT sacrificing a hero but at this point at least I don't think thats an option.

#22 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:33 AM

Also, his only keyword is indestructible right?

#23 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:16 AM

To me, all this stuff that's in the same paragraph with indestrictible is considered a keyword. 

Also, I wouldn't mind if there'll be a way to run away from Barlog without sacrificing anything. Just a really tough one.

• PsychoRocka likes this

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#24 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

Thats twice you've said barlog instead of balrog now trololo :lol:

#25 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

I think it's awesome that they found a way to integrate Gandalf's sacrifice moment into the quest (and having it remove the "indestructible" keyword is a seamless way to do that). Defeating a Balrog should entail nothing less than the ultimate sacrifice. As for how this will work out as far as the campaign goes, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. 

As a side note, I suppose we have finally found something that Spirit Glorfindel is subpar at... (which is ironic, given his past history)

Edited by Raven1015, 26 August 2014 - 09:23 AM.

• Catastrophic09 likes this

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#26 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:01 PM

I think it's awesome that they found a way to integrate Gandalf's sacrifice moment into the quest (and having it remove the "indestructible" keyword is a seamless way to do that). Defeating a Balrog should entail nothing less than the ultimate sacrifice. As for how this will work out as far as the campaign goes, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. 

As a side note, I suppose we have finally found something that Spirit Glorfindel is subpar at... (which is ironic, given his past history)

Maybe it's time for Lore Glorfindel to shine?

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#27 Distractionbeast

Distractionbeast

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

Thats twice you've said barlog instead of balrog now trololo :lol:

If that was intentional, I get the reference.  ;)

#28 Eldainorn

Eldainorn

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:13 AM

You sacrifice Gandalf, of course. We all know that Gandalf the White will come eventually. ;)

• iznax likes this

#29 Catastrophic09

Catastrophic09

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:30 PM

Yeah there's got to be something in the 3rd Saga box that let's you bring a dead hero back into your Campaign play probably not limited to only Gandalf as players won't be limited to sacrificing Gandalf either. I think it was in the Team Covenant interview with Caleb and Matt they said the 3rd Saga was all about Aragorn's adventures and the return of Gandalf... so specifically mentioning that definitely sounds like we'll be able to get him back plus it would make no sense not to get him back and would go against the books so I have no doubt we can have an epic Gandalf sacrifice and get him back later :)
  • joezim007 likes this

#30 Eldainorn

Eldainorn

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:46 PM

Actually something crossed my mind. Getting Gandalf the White hero would be almost impossible. Or, if they release it, it will be playable only in the 3rd saga expansion and on. During the years that the game is based on Gandalf the White didn't exist. Maybe we will get some kind of boon which makes Gandalf "white" or brings him back into the game if you sacrifice him. 

#31 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

Actually something crossed my mind. Getting Gandalf the White hero would be almost impossible. Or, if they release it, it will be playable only in the 3rd saga expansion and on. During the years that the game is based on Gandalf the White didn't exist. Maybe we will get some kind of boon which makes Gandalf "white" or brings him back into the game if you sacrifice him. 

I think we'll get a boon card called "The White Wizard" or something, whcih lets you bring Gandalf back and attach it to him.

• Eldainorn likes this

#32 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:15 PM

One a side note. They're not hesitating about creating their own heroes. I hope to see a blue wizard player card one day.

• gandalfDK likes this

#33 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:28 PM

Are you saying you'd prefer to have ffg-created blue wizards instead of Alatar and Pallando?

#34 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

So, there is actual info about them? One friend who claims to be insightful in the LotR lore told me there is no information about wizards other than Gandalf, Saruman and Radagast. I guess he was wrong, and as a result - so am I.

#35 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

http://tolkiengatewa...ki/Blue_Wizards

I must say I'm really interested in the more mystical or magical part of the LOTR lore and the Blue Wizards, or at least what we know about them, really capture this. I especially like how Tolkien speculated that the Blue Wizards could've started magical cults or traditions, and this would make for an excellent theme for a cycle set in the East. MECCG also explored this aspect to great depth: 

http://www.chrisvos....ards/Alatar.jpg

http://www.chrisvos....ds/Pallando.jpg

http://www.chrisvos....sApprentice.jpg

http://www.chrisvos....rcaneSchool.jpg

http://www.chrisvos....ophetofDoom.jpg

http://www.chrisvos....yesofMandos.jpg

I would absolutely LOVE to see a cycle based in the East focused on the Blue Wizards, and for the player cards, to have more Palantiri (to amend the joke that is the Palantir card), magic spells, magic rings, etc.

Edited by Gizlivadi, 29 August 2014 - 02:06 PM.

• gandalfDK likes this

#36 gandalfDK

gandalfDK

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:38 AM

The Blue Wizards were in no means in posession of Palantiri.. But indeed, something with Blue Wizards would be really cool! It also perfectly fits the selfmade cycles.

‘If more of us valued food and cheer and a game of Lotr Lcg above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.’ – Thorin Oakenshield

#37 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:43 AM

I know they didn't have Palantiri, but the Player cards in the cycle don't necessarily have to match the theme of the cycle. And if we have a cycle based on the Blue Wizards, a good way to be vaguely thematic to that is to have "wizardly" artifacts like Palantiri.

• gandalfDK likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS