the-council-of-elrond.png

guard-the-hobbits.png

eregion.png

chamber-of-mazarbul.png

the-balrog.png

doom-doom-doom.png

the-great-bridge.png

growing-threat.png

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo, 25 August 2014 - 02:31 PM.

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#2 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:37 PM

All of these quests look really fun. I like how they resolved the design challenge that the Balrog quest posed. It seems these scenarios work in a simple, intuitive way (or at least as much as it could be). I'm excited to play them.

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#3 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:39 PM

At retailers next month!  Woo!

I usually avoid scenario previews so I can play the quests as "blindly" as possible on the first attempt, but I couldn't help myself here... The Council of Elrond is kind of a fun way to start off the box :)

#4 FetaCheese

FetaCheese

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:42 PM

The Bridge looks really thematic, I love it.
  • Dwarf king Bronze beard likes this

#5 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:45 PM

Growing Threat has a new keyword:  Peril.  Hmm.

Wish he had shown a new a new player card too!

Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#6 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:51 PM

We had Peril in The Black Riders. 

Edited by Gizlivadi, 25 August 2014 - 02:51 PM.

#7 FetaCheese

FetaCheese

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:57 PM

With a second reading its apparent that the guys at FFG have put a lot of care in the quest mechanics once again. Looking forward to the next spoiler article.

#8 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

We had Peril in The Black Riders.

It's been so long I've forgotten! LOL
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#9 Catastrophic09

Catastrophic09

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:10 PM

YES!!! another epic Saga box! I'm so excited to get this and actually be able to do Campaign beyond the first box! The start with the Council of Elrond is so creative and perfect to at least capture some of what happened in the books and all the quests in general look really unique and fun!!  :)

Art for locations looks epic as usual, Growing Threat makes me laugh but looks like a shot from some video game.. not the best lol.

• PsychoRocka likes this

#10 Teamjimby

Teamjimby

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:25 PM

I was really hoping to play the Old Forest and Fog on the Barrow Downs as part of the campaign before diving into the Road Darkens.  Do we know when those will be available, assuming I didn't go to GenCon and can't attend the Fellowship event?

#11 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 478 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:52 PM

I was really hoping to play the Old Forest and Fog on the Barrow Downs as part of the campaign before diving into the Road Darkens.  Do we know when those will be available, assuming I didn't go to GenCon and can't attend the Fellowship event?

Well I bought a copy of the Old Forest on ebay for about 50 bucks and am very eagerly awaiting receiving it so that I can play the first saga box over again inclusive of The Old Forest. If you're fast you can probably grab one of the copies still floating around on ebay. It may be a fair wait till its released normally I'd say.... does anyone offhand remember roughly how long it took for Massing, Lake Town or Stone of Erech to be released after the Gencon they were released at?

#12 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:06 PM

Well I bought a copy of the Old Forest on ebay for about 50 bucks and am very eagerly awaiting receiving it so that I can play the first saga box over again inclusive of The Old Forest. If you're fast you can probably grab one of the copies still floating around on ebay. It may be a fair wait till its released normally I'd say.... does anyone offhand remember roughly how long it took for Massing, Lake Town or Stone of Erech to be released after the Gencon they were released at?

it was definitely a few months. we were able to order Lake-town on October 15th, 2012 and Massing on Sept 21, 2011.

• Teamjimby likes this

#13 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 478 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:15 PM

I think Chamber of Mazarbul looks just as fantastic as Eregion and The Great Bridge, all round stunning location art.
The Council of Elrond is such an amazingly thematic and fun quest card!!!! The players themselves must discuss and figure out which card to play for free, which card goes to its owners hand, which is discarded and which goes back into its deck. I also really like that you are given a decision to bypass a treachery card entirely by raising each players threat by 5, very interesting mechanic that opens even more diversity and re playability for these quests.

Pretty much the only thing that hasn't blown me away from this preview is the whole sacrifice a hero to do x damage to The Balrog and remove its keywords. As thematic as this is I really don't know if I will pretty much ever trigger this, reason being?

A loss and then simple restart on this quest is a million times better than 1 of your integral heroes that your decks are built around being lost for the entire rest of the campaign.....
Usually we have our heroes very specifically picked out whether they are our favorites or picked for a certain quest or just the most fun/powerful to play with, so for a certain player losing one of those heroes (or sacrificing rather) this early on in the Saga would be utterly crippling, sure there are plenty of other heroes you could substitute in but considering our decks are built around our heroes other heroes may very well not fill that gap correctly or be sub par choices.

So why would you sacrifice someone rather than simply losing, starting that quest over again and attempting to beat it WITHOUT having to sacrifice one of your precious heroes???

The one cool thing I thought about doing was running the Gandalf Hero for JUST that quest. This way you could sacrifice Gandalf (which would probably cause a nerdgasm) to do a whopping 14 damage straight to the Balrogs face and you then just couldn't use Gandalf for the rest of the saga which would be fine as you could then sub back in the Hero you would normally use! Now this would be a great plan except for one thing...

"This effect makes it possible to destroy The Balrog. However, triggering it comes at a high price; one player must sacrifice a hero he controls in order to trigger it, and in campaign mode, that hero (as well as any ally version of the character) is lost for the remainder of the campaign. Still, that hero’s sacrifice may prove the only way that the rest of the heroes can escape from Moria."

No Gandalf ally for any player for the rest of the game? (Maybe until some sort of weird saga card that allows use of Gandalf allies and hero again if Gandalf has died during saga mode thus far, representing his resurrection as Gandalf the White etc)

Ummmmmmmm yeah no that would be insane (for me at least considering how much I rely on the Gandalf ally).

In short unless you have a hero that really isn't integral to your line up and deck/s and can be easily replaced (AND you don't plan to run ally versions of that hero) I really don't see the sacrifice option being worthwhile at all and personally will be avoiding it like the plague.

I guess we haven't really seen the quest yet however so maybe its really difficult and you may have to sacrifice someone to stand a chance of beating it. I certainly hope that is not the case though and you can manage to beat the quest without sacrificing a hero as it would be pretty mean to include a quest in saga mode (where dead heroes STAY DEAD FOREVER) where you MUST sacrifice a hero to advance/win in a quest this early on.

#14 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:23 PM

As always, amazing art.

I love the Balrog art... ^^

Cheers for the developers

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#15 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:00 PM

I'm pretty sure they'll make it an option for the Gandalf hero to come back, after all if it wasn't for his sacrifice he wouldn't have turned into Gandalf the White. Otherwise, yeah I agree on the sacrifice thing. It's too high a cost, especially solo.

• Catastrophic09, Dwarf king Bronze beard and PsychoRocka like this

#16 entMoot

entMoot

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:13 PM

You could potentially design a mono/dual-sphere deck for the first several scenarios with 3 heroes that will morph into a 2-hero secrecy deck after the Balrog, though the loss of a hero still hurts since they were presumably pretty handy in the first handful of quests.

• Catastrophic09 likes this

#17 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:25 PM

Looks really ok! This saga play trough should be really amazing in the end of the day! +is really unique actually for any current  LCG ! Good job!

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#18 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:41 AM

The only thing I hope about is there is a way to escape without killing Barlog.

• PsychoRocka likes this

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#19 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:02 AM

Sounds like there is a way to avoid to fight with A balrog. Doom objective have a 10 tokens. So looks like if you win before tokens come to zero you can manage to avoid Balrog. But maybe there is something more?

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#20 Caerdowyn

Caerdowyn

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:24 AM

The hero is discarded not removed from the game so you could use Fortune or Fate to recuperate that hero.

I imagine you need some fancy deck manipulation or card drawal in your deck to have that card ready at the right moment.

Oh wait, there's Word of Command now... (hats off if you add The Fall of Gil-Galad to your deck)

Just thinking out loud. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS