How exactly do you beat Cthulu?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wrath231

wrath231

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:58 PM

His attack essentially automatically takes off 1 stamina or 1 sanity, players choice, alright I get that...then he places a doom token back on his doom track if his doom track isn't full. So if Im soloing him one-on-one, even if I got my success, hit him once, take off a doom token, he'll just keep putting one back on? How in gods name can you actually beat him then? Or does he have a finite amount of doom tokens he can put back on?

#2 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:05 PM

If you get multiple successes on an attack, you take off multiple doom tokens. So, when soloing, if you're at full health and sanity when you start, you need to deal something between 2-3 successes for 9 turns, and you will beat him.

With weapons and clues, you can score some attacks that deal multiple successes. It's not easy, but doable with preparation.

#3 wrath231

wrath231

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:13 PM

Thanks for speedy reply, I just got spanked by Yog in a 3-investigator game when I forgot to load up on physical weapons and sealed their fate in record time. The AO's combat check penalties are pretty damn unforgiving.

#4 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,697 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:09 AM

Yep. Usually FB is tough (near to impossible with certain AOs). Try to seal them away. In the beginning could be difficult, but then it should be smoother.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#5 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:51 AM

Wrath,

Remember, Cthulhu doesn't remove 1 Sanity or Stamina...he reduces either your Maximum Sanity or Stamina.  Thus, if your Investigator who has a Maximum 5 Sanity and 5 Stamina begins the combat with 3 Sanity and 4 Stamina, you may elect to reduce your Maximum Sanity or Stamina by one...which reduces one of your attributes to 4, but you lose no tokens.

Cheers,

Joe

• Julia likes this

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#6 wrath231

wrath231

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:03 AM

Good point, so a full-blooded investigator going against Cthulu with 5 stamina and 5 sanity (lets say its his/her max) HAS to defeat Cthulu within 8 rounds of combat because by the ninth round when Cthulu attacks either his stamina or his sanity is going bye-bye and therefor devoured.

#7 MadFuhrer

MadFuhrer

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:07 AM

Don't forget about the -1 to both Max san and max stam to start, so you only have 6 rounds for most characters.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS